Vimar

Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Vimar

Post by Aldo »

Tried this restaurant on Sat pm as we walked back from beach. Vimar ( taken over by João, ex Estrela do Mar) was a complete surprise.
The service was excellent but the food was even better - started with the scallops, followed by Pork in figs. Unbelievably tasty and cooked to perfection. Finished with chocolate cake which actually tasted of chocolate, really could not fault. Complimentary brandy and port to finish off, wecould not have wished for a better last night meal. Highly recommended.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Vimar

Post by laserblazer »

Funny you should say that. We had gone up to the fish place on the corner but it was shut. We had parked outside Vimar but were going into A Rede which was busy. We felt a bit sorry for Vima, as there was only one table occupied, so we thought we'd give it a try. Ther service is excellent and very friendly staff. I had the bass, which was expertly de-boned for me and was very good. As was the lamb. With drinks and a pud. it came to lesst than €20 each.

Certainly one to consider.
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

Pork and figs is my favourite at Vimar which I first tasted at Estrela do Mar when Joao ran that. We visited Vimar on our recent trip and the food and service were just as good as before, but something was missing, i.e. the atmosphere. It is a larger restaurant than EDM and there were only 4 of us there that night, so perhaps that was the trouble. We drove past several other nights and never saw more than half a dozen a people there. Just hope they can survive the winter. Wine, cover, soup, pork and coffee for 18.5 euros, so no complaints there.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

We'll give it at least one visit of Christmas if it's open.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

tried it this week&the food was really nice&reasonably priced.i will be going again for sure
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

We have followed Joao (we call him John) from Algar Seco Bistro to Estrela do Mar and now look forward to trying Vimar.
I hope this venture is successful for him. He is very accommodating.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

just back from flying visit to cvo. Happys on Monday night and as usual Libbe in great form, restaurant mildly busy (18 diners when I was there). cosy and warm atmosphere and food excellent as usual. He also said he was closing on Wednesday until January.

Reading the above reviews decided to go to Vimar on Wednesday and was not disappointed. Had the cover, starter and went for sea bass for mains. Really tasty meal. The two guys running the restaurant were friendly and chatty.
What as really sad though was that I was the only person in the restaurant. Not another sinner, from approx 8.45 to 10pm entered the restaurant. I really really hope these two guys do well as the restaurant is nice and food is really good, but they definitely need more customers.
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pointersister »

You are so right Joeysoap :D We ate in Vimar last Friday night. It was lovely. The food was great even got potatoes and onions as an option. It seems to be gathering up the clientele which is great. We will try it again in April. Can't wait but I suppose I will have to.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Coming to CVO on Tuesday, strikes and volcanoes permitting. Vimar will be our first visit. Looking forward.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Back from CVO yesterday. The weather was rather cool and breezy - thin jumper needed most of the time - but the only rain worth mentioning was on Saturday morning. We still enjoyed the trip - for the 3rd year in a row.

We ate at the Vimar twice, fillet steak on the first night, then fish kebab/pork with figs the second time. Both meals very enjoyable. Comparing Vimar with other places we tried, we liked the relaxed, friendly and unfussy service of the boss and his main waiter. And unlike a couple of places we tried, there is enough space for you not to feel squeezed in and having a slightly rushed and frenzied experience.

We noted that the menu mentioned the new rate of VAT at 23%. Unlike some of the other places we tried, it looked like the prices had NOT been increased at the Vimar. How long that is likely to last, I don't know. But I couldn't help noticing that the most expensive meat dish at Vimar was priced at almost the same as the least expensive meat dish at the place next door.

Decent food, pleasant service, pleasant atmosphere and very fair prices. And as we were staying at the Tivoli, it was the closest to walk to as well!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We tried the 8.50, "fogies lunchtime special", yesterday, and it was really good value.
The restaurant was pretty full as well........as far as I could make out, mainly Brits. There was a group of 10 or 12 women.....several of whom I recognized as being long term visitors, or residents. A ladies lunch club.

We have been advised of a good place that does a similar deal in Amarcao de Pera, that is even better. Watch this space!! :D
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

4 of us on Sunday night. lovely meal about 10 in restaurant at around 9 when a part of 20 or so came in. excellent food, love staff and very reasonable - €60 for 4. guitarist was good too.
ditzy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ditzy »

Vimar also does a good chicken takeaway (half a chicken plus salad and chips €3.50)
snowbirds
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snowbirds »

Lunch today was excellent. Bread, olives and carrots, followed by either salad or a choice of three soups (fish, tomato or vegetable) and a jug of wine, with main course options of sea bream, plaice, roast chicken or beef stew followed by several desert selections and coffee. It seems to offer the best value and quality for lunch in Carvoeiro. We ordered an extra jug of wine and a beer and the total for five of us was Euro 44.
davefc
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by davefc »

ate here several times over last two weeks food can not be faulted everything we had was of a really good standard great unhurried service and most of all prices that really are very very reasonable complimentry brandy or port after the meal was again a nice touch
the house wine for 7.5 euros was good and pre dinner drinks were for instance 2.5 euros for large bacardi and coke as opposed to 8 euros for much smaller measure in our hotel (Tivoli)