recipe please

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

recipe please

Post by heini »

Hi, can anyone please post a recipe for "mieges" or "migas", this is the fried bread that is usually served with fried or grilled pork filet. Thanks, Heini
Peter Belinfante

recipe

Post by Peter Belinfante »

Hi,

Just search GOOGLE and there you find recipe's for Migas. (I don't know if they are wat your looking for).
I found at www.globalgourmet.com also an recipe.

greetings,
Peter
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

Peter, thanks for your help. The recipe is different from the mieges I I had there. It is a kind of fried bread with piri-pri and presunto bits in it. I will check out some other recipe sites as well.
Peter Belinfante

Migas

Hello Heini,

I'll be from the 16th for a week in Carvoeiro; staying with my friend. His spouse is Portuguese. I'll ask her how to make Migas!

When I'm back I'll answer the question.

Peter
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

Peter, thanks that would be great. I had this side dish at a wonderful little place just off the turn off at Portimoa towards Silves. I am not to divulge the secret, but if you ever want a real great authentic portuguese meal go to "Nossa Tasca".
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

I can get you a great recipie for migas, but I'm not at home now!! Maybe tommorrow! Becareful when eating something like that make sure it is in a busy restaurante. I was very, very ill one year from eating migas at the festival da gastronamia at the fatacil, they must have been sitting in the heat all day!!! Do you want migas from meat or fish or both?
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

pinkybluesky, I was looking for a mieges that is basically fried bread. I guess it is soaked in something and mixed with "stuff" (piri-piri and bit of presunto) and then it is fried and looks like a chunky brown pancake. But your recipe with meat and/or fish sounds intriguing too. Please post it, thanks Heini
Peter Belinfante

Hello Heini,

As promised I'll try to give you the recipie for Migas.
I just returned a few days ago from Carvoeiro and I'm still suffering from "the Carvoeiro-lag" (like jet-lag). I hope it is what you are looking for. The recipie below I got from the wife of my friend. It first was translated from Portuguese to Dutch and I made an effort to translate it into English (I hope it works out).

You need thick sliced bread (like the firm Portuguese round bread)
Put the slices of bread in a bowl with pressed garlic and (some salt) and sliced presunto.
If you want you can add also some parsley to it.

Pour some boiling water over it, and let it soak and close it with a lid.

Rub the meat (f.i. ribs or pork-filet) with a little salt, pepper, paprika powder and if you want with other spices.
Frie the meat; dont't throw away the frying fat (I don't know if this is the right word in english). Use it to stir it through the soaked bread.

Serve with the fried meat and salad.

(Don't blame me if it's not what you are looking for)

Best regards,
Peter
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

:D Peter, thank you so much, yes that seems to be the right recipe. I will try it out soon and let you know how it turned out. The only problem may be that we don't get that wonderful Portuguese bread here in Canada.
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

migas!!!!

Post by pinkiebluesky »

Hi sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, but I forgot!!!Here is a recipie for migas.

( Migas De Pão De Milho)Corn bread migas
prperation time 25mins
cooking time 20 mins
4-6 people

500g of corn bread
2dl of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
salt q.b. ( quanto basta) to taste

In ( I am translating this as I write so excuse any mistakes) a copper saucepan put the bread cut in slices, not too thick, cover with boiling water and season with salt. Let boil on a strong heat for 7 mins. Drain the water until you obtain a uniform paste. Open a hole in the middle and introduce the finly sliced garlic and some of the azeite, pouring a little round the migas. Put back onto the heat and let boil for about 5 mins, mixing a little so the mixture doesn't stick. Take the migas from the heat and shake the frying pan until they become omellete like.

It says in my book: Migas are served in the saucepan that they are cooked in always with a wooden spoon. They are traditionally eaten also with a wooden spoon, which acording to the locals of the region gives them a special taste. They can be eaten with any fish, meat or (enchidos assados) grilled sausages e.g chouriço

My book is a very good traditonal portuguese cuisine, and has all sorts of interesting recipies, many of which I have tried with sucess. Let us know how the migas go and I'll find you something else to try!!!
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

:D Thanks pinkybluesky, This recipe looks very good also, perhaps one can even combine the two methods. I will try the recipe(s) out soon.
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

Peter and pinkybluesky, I made migas today, had to improvise a bit but it turned out really good. Thanks for your help, now I can have a little taste of Carvoeiro here in Canada. Heini :D

food

Post by Guest »

Surley all great recipies are made from improvising!!! Just think how migas started, knowing a little of local history I would imagine there wasn't enough meat to go around so "mother" made herself (because that's what mothers do!!) something interesting with what she had left after dad and the kids had eaten! :lol:

I couldn't be bothered to log in, Pinkiebluesky

xoxoxoxo