VPN for accessing BBC Iplayer and ITV Hub

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

VPN for accessing BBC Iplayer and ITV Hub

Post by steve »

I have a week's catch up on my IPTV subscription but I want to access Iplayer and the ITV Hub again and can't do this via a Portuguese network provider. I would be interested to hear recommendations based on experience for a good VPN for this purpose, please ? I previously used a smart DNS system which did not slow down the line speeds but found the performance a bit patchy.
pauljb
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: VPN for accessing BBC Iplayer and ITV Hub

Post by pauljb »

We have a VPN router at home - Asus RT-N66U which we log in to for domestic and office access this allows Itvhub and Iplayer simply as a by product of having it on the system or so it seems. It is odd but it does not seem to have to be connected but it still allows viewing locally through a laptop connected via hdmi to the television. The assus is not hugely expensive but won't help on this visit obviously as it needs to be in the UK.
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by John Burgess »

You could tryr a UK ip address you can purchase one for use world wide
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Colana »

You can get access to ITV Hub+ in Portugal for 3.99 per month.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

The browser "Opera" has its own switchable VPN built in.

https://help.opera.com/en/opera-tutoria ... -in-opera/
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Thanks Bigben. That looked very promising but when I tried it I found that Opera is not supported by ITV Hub. I will have a go with BBC Iplayer and see if I have any more luck. I did find however that Opera as a browser seems a lot slower than Chrome, which it what I normally use
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Update. I tried accessing BBC Iplayer via the Opera browser using its VPN but BBC are now blocking VPNs so that did not work. Obviously things have moved on since I last accessed these sites some years ago. It looks as if I shall have to make do with the one week catch up facility built into one of the IPTV packages that I use. Thanks though for all the suggestions.
porchesmark
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by porchesmark »

Just a suggestion - Projection Dreams have opened on Rua do Barranco in the village and they have great deals on a brilliant IPTV service with everything on it for a fraction of the cost of SKY. 282 039 391 is their number. Their system also has between 7 and 14-days catch up.