DOGS DOGS DOGS!

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

DOGS DOGS DOGS!

Post by Elfie »

Has anyone else noticed the incessant dog barking in Monte Servo. There seem to be three or four dogs in this particular house and they appear to be dumped outside when the owners go out, sometimes for several hours, and they just don’t stop! I have never wished ill of any creature but...........! Any suggestions for sanity’s sake? To add to this the dog mess here has increased threefold recently making it necessary to drive around it to avoid smearing it up the driveway. It’s sadly starting to spoil our enjoyment of a lovely area.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: DOGS DOGS DOGS!

Post by bruce »

That is so unfair!
Can you not report this to the police, very irresponsible dog owners!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

This topic, dogs barking, was raised elsewhere on this Forum and seem to recall general agreement on reporting matter to police.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

Hi elfie, do you know which house it is on Monte Servo as i am on there at number 11 & i am wondering if it is the white villa which is owned by the people who own Onze restauraunt who seemed to have aquired more dogs as he only used to have one.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Elfie »

Hi shaz1967. That’s the house. We have counted four dogs today all barking away. We are the other side of the road but can still hear them with shutters, windows and curtains all closed! I think you can report it to the GNR but have hesitated to do so. Wonder how amenable they would be to a conversation?
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

When you say you are across the road do you mean on Monte Servo or across the valley? I am unsure if they will be open to discussion as i do not know them but if they are anything like decent human beings they should be. It is a shame about the dogs all around Carvoeiro as they are annoying holiday makers which cannot be good for the local businesses.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Elfie »

We are on Monte Servo but the other side of the road to their house. Would not want to go straight to GNR without trying the polite route first, so will send Hubby :lol: We have not met them in the street either but hope they are reasonable neighbours. Ps Sorry Smudger old subject but fresh frustration for us!
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

the law changed recently... not exactly sure of its entire content, but I do know owners of dogs now have a higher responsibility to control them or they will be fined.. this includes not letting them roam the streets...
the only way to combat it though, as no one else seems to care.. is by calling the GNR.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

I hope you have some joy when you go to see the dog owner as i think it is something that needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later as it is becoming a constant form of complaint from holiday makers which is blighting a lovely resort. I am baffled as to why you want to have 4 dogs which constantly bark as it must be a pain in the *rse for the owners as well.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Elfie wrote:We are on Monte Servo but the other side of the road to their house. Would not want to go straight to GNR without trying the polite route first, so will send Hubby :lol: We have not met them in the street either but hope they are reasonable neighbours. Ps Sorry Smudger old subject but fresh frustration for us!
No worries Elfie, we had same problem with farm dogs several years ago, I even resorted to buying a dog whistle!!! Still have occasional barking so can understand your annoyance etc.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I am of the same opinion that the constant barking of the dogs through all hours is definetly a big problem for Carvoeiro for residents, tuorists, hotels, private renters & businesses. I think action needs to be taken before its too late & Carvoeiro gets a bad name for the constant barking & people start to keep away.
matoserrao2007
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by matoserrao2007 »

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. Our residence is situated in Mato Serrao close to the Villas Mourim, Monte Santo resorts. We frequently have to move indoors with the incessant barking of dogs - which defeats the purpose of holidaying in Portugal. There is one house with four small dogs and another with a large Alsatian and two further dogs. The bigger dog can be heard barking for miles around. These dogs are, for the most part, unattended. I fail to understand how either of the two resorts will ever get return business/clients once the story of the barking is related to friends back home. If this problem continues we will seriously consider selling up and moving on, which appears to be the only real solution as we have put up with this problem for a number of years.