book club

Top 10 pages, Organise Get-Togethers and community events. Check the CVO Ramblers walking group. Food recipes & golf news.
carriej
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

book club

Post by carriej »

Im in CVO for the winter from Nov to end March.Does anyone know of a book club I could join or shall I set one up-would anyone be interested? Im thinking more of a group where we recommend good reads to each other as a social group rather than all reading the same book and discussing.CJ
Vivamus
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: book club

Post by Vivamus »

Hmmm. Has anyone asked about this at the Algarve Book Cellar (http://www.goodmorningalgarve.com/BOOKS ... Cellar.htm)? Perhaps they'd know of anything going on there?

Personally, I wouldn't mind joining a book group, but I think I would prefer the discussion format, otherwise is it not just a bunch of people recommending books to each other (and I find we all have such differing tastes in literature, as with everything else!)?
tastecarveoiro
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by tastecarveoiro »

Hi. We do offer every 2weeks a book exchange in our restaurant. People bring books they have read and can change them for other ones. Would be a nice thing to combine that with your idea....? In case you are interested call Nicola from TASTE R estaurant Carvoeiro Tlf 282358092 or mobile 967538728.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

This is an interesting idea, Nicola, tell us more??? :D
tastecarveoiro
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by tastecarveoiro »

Well, very easy idea - like said you bring books you don t want anymore in and change them for ones we have there (mainly english and german books). It s between 14-18H every second saturday (next on 19.11.). During that time we have some special offers (Homemade cake and a cup of Tea/ Coffee 3,00€, BECKS BEER 0,33l 2,50€, plate with mixed Tapas 4,50€). We do have a fire place so it s warm :D and a nice coisy Lounge area with a sofa so it s comfy... The idea is to offer something to do in winter and get people in touch easliy as they have a thing (books) in common to talk about.
carriej
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by carriej »

Hi Im back in CVO and so rang to follow up Nicolas post about the book swap every other Saturday.Next one is 3rd Dec(tomorrow) so I will go along and see if anyone else is there to "talk books",apparently its 14-18h.I am away then until after Xmas.I have enquired at ABC bookshop but the guy who owns it didn't know of any book clubs as such.I will speak with Nicola at Taste and see about putting up some posters?
carriej
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by carriej »

I was on a walk on Sat so got to Taste a bit late,no-one had popped in but they will persevere with the event as well as their Xmas market which helps to promote the restaurant too.However i spoke to Sharon at Hemmingways Bar-someone had told me she is a real bookworm,and she would be happy to have a group there so I think I will go ahead and get something going in January.Watch out for more post,cj
carriej
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by carriej »

I realise I'm talking to myself most of the time on these posts but see there have been lots of hits so its worth persevering!I have finally met someone else who is creative and likes to knit,stitch and read so we are gong to try and set up a group of like minded people to meet on a regular basis.First time will be on Tuesday 10th January,2pm at Hemingways in town.I will be taking my knitting and we will talk books among other things!I would love it to take off on a weekly basis but can see it being more of a Winter get together as I can't see me knitting on the hotter days but we may still meet up in the evening when its cooler,lets see how it goes but it would be great if we can get something going!
bradybunch
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bradybunch »

Hello I have just read your post about a book club craft circle. As I have recently retired I will be coming out to Carvoeiro for longer periods. The next time will be April 10th staying through to May 12th so I would be very interested in meeting up with Carvoeiro regulars or ex pats for these type of events. I also intend to join the ramblers on their interesting walks. Oh I so love this retirement thing its time to do all the things you wanted to do but never had the time wether its work or family commitments ,it's me time now. So please keep posting any events that you may organise I'm sure there are more like minded people out there. I would also like to do some Charity work perhaps helping with the Donkey Sanctuary Charity Shop, if anyone knows of any way I can help please contact me.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Hi Bradybunch....look forward to meeting you on our walks. I won't be out till May, but others are now leading weekly walks that you can join. The Donkey sanctuary always welcomes dog walkers : ring Bridie on 927336096
Babaliz
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Babaliz »

Hi,
I know that this is an old topic but, does anyone know if the book club idea ever got going?
If not - is there anyone out there who would like the idea of meeting once a month or so to discuss a book?
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Hope it does take off as it is such a good idea especially run from Taste, a good place to meet up.
Anyone out in CVO could also consider setting up a U3A site and run lots of groups under the umbrella, different people doing the different groups and those indoor based I am
sure Taste would help as a good base to meetup
This could run well in the winter for those that tend to over winter so to speak.

I live in Cabanas de Tavira, well I will do permanently from October this year and intend to set up U3A with the different groups along with a slimming club to. It will be an all year round set up but understand that it mostly will only be viable from Sept onwards for the over winter brigade. Canadians to have the U3A and as there are loads of them over wintering include them to and no doubt the Dutch etc will want to join in.

Good luck
Suej
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Suej »

Is Cabanas de Tavira in Tavira or, as it is on the Carvoeiro Form, perhaps it is in Carvoeiro? If it is Carvoeiro I am definitely interested.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

If you are looking for a book club in Carvoeiro then go to the book shop on the in road and ask them, I am sure if there is one they will know.

The shop is in the first block on the left as you start the in road.