Solar panels and EDP

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Solar panels and EDP

Post by maccasa »

I am actively looking at solar panels for electric generation. I have been told that EDP do not like this and actually charge you if you use panels - if you have 6 panels for 1.5 kWh - fine for your pool pump, butwhen the pump is off and you are still generating free electric this shows on your meter and you are charged for it. This is clearly a crazy situation typical of french EDF supply - is there any way you can install solar panels and not get charged for the electricity you generate. With so much solar electricity available it is simply criminal not to use it.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Solar panels and EDP

Post by maccasa »

apologies I know about battery installation but this is also a crazy cost - several €thousand compared to UK etc.
sue2215
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sue2215 »

We are having solar panels installed to generate electricity. We're told that EDP pay us about 5 cents per unit; that's our understanding of it anyway!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Can you tell me the name/contact of who is installing your panels - I want to contact them to discuss EDP charges. Many thanks
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I have now rechecked with EDP and see https://www.pv-magazine.com/2019/10/25/ ... top-solar/ from Jan1 you can fit without having to pay EDP
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I have always found that the they actively discourage solar panels a bit of a strange one & that the fact that they charged you for using solar panels/power absolutely absurd! If they have stopped penalising you for utilising solar energy it is a step forward. Why in country that has an abundance of sunshine days do they not encourage it ?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

french owned?
Geriatric
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geriatric »

EDP No French involvement but 22% Chinese. Telecom 100% French Altice.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I think it would be a worthwhile exercise to ship over your own solar panels etc as you can buy them over here for approximately a third of what they cost in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I need 6 x 300W and the price is approx £1000 in the uk. Add shipping, fixing, inverter, cabling and connection etc and that's about what I have been quoted in CVO at =/- €2400.

Cant find them at 1/3rd the price.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I have spoken to people who have had quotes for a 16 panel 4kw saying they were €10,000.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Hi,
Given that I have solar panels to heat domestic hot water, I am regularly surprised at the size of my electricity bills. My 3 bedroom Villa has an electric oven , usual household appliances and domestic lighting, a borehole pump and swimming pool pump. Annual electricity charges are about 1800 euros even though the Villa is only occupied for four months or so each year during the summer. Often, when there has been nobody in the Villa for two months, for example, the bill is usually around 200 euros . I am unable to decipher from the bills what appliances are consuming electricity.
Thus, I was surprised to find that EDP imposed a charge when solar panels are used. Is anybody able to say from their own electricity bills whether my charges are typical and/ or if I am being charged by EDP for solar panel generated electricity .
Many thanks in anticipation of any observations .
Regards
Geoff