The secret

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
martin
CVO Master
CVO Master

The secret

Post by martin »

now the Guardian has revealed the secret of chicken piri piri

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/o ... -121593383
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: The secret

Post by smudger »

Interesting article, after reading it, decided to head into CVO for lunch of.........chicken piri piri, probably at A Fonte. :D
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Red Chilis are the secret in this and as you say getting them can be difficult in UK. I have found the best is to grow your own - In portugal I grow them outside in large pots, but u must remember to water them a lot

At home I start the seeds (from a standard portuguese piri box at Pingo) in a small pot in the window using standard compost, then replant into a larger 250mm dia bowl when I have 6-8 100mm tall plants. I leave them in my conservatory and they grow to 450mm tall. The small white flowers appear around aug and by Oct they are usually red and ready for picking - although I still have about 8 green ones still ripening now.

They will last for months kept in the fridge and if they dry out they can be crumbled.

They are easy to grow but always tickle the white flowers to aid production of the fruit.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I grow my own in UK. Start off indoors then put outside to naturally pollinate. Bring back indoors before frosts. Still going well in the conservatory. Can be stored in the fridge or frozen, and can be chopped up straight from frozen.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Thanks Maccasa and Sam for info on growing your own, must give it a try though from past experiences with growing indoors might not be as successful! Do try and grow veg outside, potato’s usually good crop, Brussels Sprouts looking good at moment but courgettes were a poor crop.