Goldcar

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Goldcar

Post by pato »

Anyone any experience of Goldcar rentals, the supply the car with a full tank which you pay 100euros for and when you return it they calculate how much you've used, sounds a rip off to me, anyone got any experience of this company? 100 euros seems a lot to me in a small car. 8)
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Goldcar

Post by sunman »

in my experience if something looks like it doesn't add up it's usually cos it doesn't add up, keep looking 8)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Pages of warning on this forum, and many many warnings on lots of other forums.
for example viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25102

Steer clear.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

pato wrote:Anyone any experience of Goldcar rentals, the supply the car with a full tank which you pay 100euros for and when you return it they calculate how much you've used, sounds a rip off to me, anyone got any experience of this company? 100 euros seems a lot to me in a small car. 8)
I think that Goldcar charge for a full tank and you leave it back empty. as you say €100 - must be a Abrams M1, Agree with Michael re TR, though I have heard good reports about Lagorent too and also the sponsors of this site - Algarvedriver.com
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Why on earth would people still use this Company after all the negative publicity in the National Press about them.
I still see their vehicles around the area.
More money than sense.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

joeysoap wrote:
pato wrote:Anyone any experience of Goldcar rentals, the supply the car with a full tank which you pay 100euros for and when you return it they calculate how much you've used, sounds a rip off to me, anyone got any experience of this company? 100 euros seems a lot to me in a small car. 8)
I think that Goldcar charge for a full tank and you leave it back empty. as you say €100 - must be a Abrams M1, Agree with Michael re TR, though I have heard good reports about Lagorent too and also the sponsors of this site - Algarvedriver.com
80 euros insurance for second driver, took the car back nearly a full tank asked for the refund and was told they'd check the tank after we left and refund the balance to the card, can you believe that, 30+80+110= 220 euros for two and a half days hire, be interesting to see what they allow, I'll check and report back later. :x
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

This company has had so much bad press yet still see their cars around. I used Lagorent through Economy Car Hire for visits this year. Good sytem for tolls - nothing if not used, 5 euros + toll fees if used.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

pato wrote:
joeysoap wrote:
80 euros insurance for second driver, took the car back nearly a full tank asked for the refund and was told they'd check the tank after we left and refund the balance to the card, can you believe that, 30+80+110= 220 euros for two and a half days hire, be interesting to see what they allow, I'll check and report back later. :x
Today Goldcar refunded 50 euros back onto the card, so they charged 60 for petrol, more than the car could hold, they've stolen that money and they get away with it, obviously we're not the first and we won't be the last, I'm livid they're crooks. :x :x :x
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Pato did you take leave of your senses having a car from them. Madness. :?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

LICY wrote:Pato did you take leave of your senses having a car from them. Madness. :?
No! not me, the Judie's son, it looks fine on the web and that's the con unfortunately.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

pato wrote:......No! not me, the Judie's son, it looks fine on the web and that's the con unfortunately.
Hasn't he heard of Google? :roll:
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

pato wrote:
LICY wrote:Pato did you take leave of your senses having a car from them. Madness. :?
No! not me, the Judie's son, it looks fine on the web and that's the con unfortunately.
You naughty boy not telling him.
S_Monty
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by S_Monty »

Just adding my tuppence worth in agreement with all previous posts. Goldcar are bad news.

I reckon its only those unfamiliar with the Algarve, or car hire companies that get stitched up by these and the other cowboys out there so there is a responsibility for us all to spread the word, exactly as we are doing here.

There are of course lots of really good reliable value for money operators out there as well: Luz Cars, Drive 4 Fun, Travelrent, to name but a few.
Stefan
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Stefan »

We used Goldcar a couple of weeks ago and quite OK with the experience.

Yes, the "full tank" methodology is a trick but on the other hand their daily fee is pretty low. We returned the car early on day five and the total cost with about 200 km driving came to €206. We did pay for the "full insurance" which was expensive, did not have a second driver and did not use the motorway. We got 3/4 of the tank credited, to the amount of €56.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I too had a bad experience with Goldcar a few years ago which i duly posted on here to warn fellow forum members. When i use the comparison sites now i add the comment "i will only book cars that operate a fair fuel policy" up to now i have not had aany problems&Goldcar has never shown up on any of the quotes.