Broadband speeds

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Cooler King
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Broadband speeds

Post by Cooler King »

Hi all,
Can anyone advise re which Portuguese Internet providers deliver the best broadband speeds, not looking for cheapest, best speeds are crucial.

Thanks,

Cooler King.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Broadband speeds

Post by EMM »

Its not just about what the provider say , you need a location that has fibre optic cables at least to the outside of your property, if as we are you are still on copper cables then 0.75-1.0mps is the average despite what you are told.
Cooler King
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Cooler King »

Thanks EMM,
We are on Rua do Barranco, any idea if FO is available in downtown CVO?

Cooler King
ron5000
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ron5000 »

I am with MEO but not on fibre and I have just run a speed test, 11.62 MBPS
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

That sounds like the highest speed ever achieved in Portugal :D
ron5000
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ron5000 »

I am paying for 12 Mbps so it is just about spot on
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Are you getting what you are paying for, suppliers particularly SAPO are notorious for offering a service that they never come close to achieving.
I am in the UK at the moment and the fastes local which is fibre optic is 8.5.
The fastest we have ever got in PT was under 3.
As the OP is in the centre of Carvoeiro the best bet is to ask those who provide an internet service in some of the bars and cafes what they get, from who and how.
Fibre is installed across the ALgarve albeit slowly.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

On a Vodafone mobile dongle which claims 7.2mps, I regularly get 5-6 in CVO, so I think that's ok. best I ever saw was 6.6 late on a sunday night!!. In UK I am with Virgin, on a 60mps service - usual is 35-40 download and 3 upload.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I use Sapo and get a download speed of 6.9 mbps. I pay for 8 which is all my line will accommodate. For a while Sapo kindly let me pay for 12 but I reduced this as soon as I found out that the line would not support this speed. Lots of complaints to Sapo produced the usual response - nothing.
mcmuller
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mcmuller »

...on Rua do Barranco you can get up to 360Mbit downstream / 15Mbit upstream from www.cabovisao.pt - at reliable speed. They run a shop in Portimão, where you can order TV/Net/Telephone-packages. I use it for about three years now - no complains.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Nah! you're missing the decimal point before the 0. Anything over 150 mps is a special business packages from BT in UK. I reckon the best you are likely to get in PT is 50??
mcmuller
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mcmuller »

look at http://www.cabovisao.pt - its 100% 360Mbit/s . I use 30Mbit, but could easily upgrade, if I would need that speed....They offer 30, 100, 200 and 360 Mbit/s .
For a deeper view on the technique they use visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

As I said, anything over 150 is a special package - you cant get DOCSIS in Pt at the moment - its still experimental in NA and Europe. As you say who needs anything over 30Mps? unless its a business thing
mcmuller
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mcmuller »

DOCSIS is experimental??? It is the protocol used for many years in cablemodems. Portugals Cabovisão is now on DOCSIS 2.x and down here (yes, in CVO...) on DOCSIS 3.0 . They have a Fibreoptic Backbone all over the country and serve certain regions (yes, CVO too!). Just look at their website - or at my CISCO EPC3000-modem (provided by cabovisão). Sorry, but you are ignoring facts. :D
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

mcmuller wrote:DOCSIS is experimental??? It is the protocol used for many years in cablemodems. Portugals Cabovisão is now on DOCSIS 2.x and down here (yes, in CVO...) on DOCSIS 3.0 . They have a Fibreoptic Backbone all over the country and serve certain regions (yes, CVO too!). Just look at their website - or at my CISCO EPC3000-modem (provided by cabovisão). Sorry, but you are ignoring facts. :D
I know absolutely nothing about this topic but....................as a general rule posters on this forum never let facts or incontrovertible evidence get in the way of a good argument. :D