Boat moorings/regulations

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Boat moorings/regulations

Post by maccasa »

Anyone a boat owner ? I am just embarking on a small power boat purchase and need to look at all the regs, registration etc - havent got a clue where to start - except a boat yard - as this has all "suddenly" happened. Anyone point me in the right directions?? (yes I know where the water is!!) where can you launch? costs? licences? etc
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Boat moorings/regulations

Post by EMM »

Your best starting point would be one of the Marinas, Lagos, Portimao, Albufeira, Villamoura.
you will large numbers of boats for sale, agents, chandlers etc.
davethegreat
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by davethegreat »

I have a boat and always launch at the boat yard in ferraguda it cost nothing, proberley the only thing that you will get for free. Unlike the UK you also need a boat license, insurance and register the boat on the small ships register.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Thanks Dave - where do I apply for the licence, registration etc.?
davethegreat
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by davethegreat »

You can register your boat on the small ships register online, you will need to do a 2 day training course to get your boat license i did mine at the marina in lagos algarve sailing centre cost about 400.00 euros and i insured my boat in portimao mutua dos pescadores about 250.00 euros hope this helps.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I'm a bit out of touch now but I used to be a powerboat instructor and it was possible to take an RYA course and then get a Certificate of Competence which covered you for most EU countries. Macca, you can find out about this at Upton Warren Outdoor Education centre, opposite Webbs Garden Centre.
davethegreat
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by davethegreat »

RYA is the course i am talking about, it will allow you to use any boat up to 10 metres long and 10 miles from shore.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Thanks dave, Lazer - I used to have a licence for using my diving boat in uK but have let it lapse - I will contact Upton Warren - one of my diving pals used to be an instructor there.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

maccasa wrote:Thanks dave, Lazer - I used to have a licence for using my diving boat in uK but have let it lapse - I will contact Upton Warren - one of my diving pals used to be an instructor there.

Not Dave Eveson by any chance?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Malcolm Hayward - but he stopped several years ago when he became "sensible" (60!).
I recall assisting them one sunday with retrieving 6 steering arms lost overboard from the small boats - we dived in thick pea soup and eventually found 5 by touchy-feely. Not one of my memorable dives but one I will never forget!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Dave - the boat is already registered in UK - the number is on the back - do I need to re-register or just get a name /owner change? I hope to pick it up 17th June and will know a lot more then, when I get the paperwork.
davethegreat
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by davethegreat »

If it,s already on the ships register you will just need to change ownership, cheers