EHIC/GHIC & Registration

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: EHIC/GHIC & Registration

Post by PhilT »

That's what I said Geoff. EHIC remains valid based on personal expiry date (as far as I know)
But the GHIC is a proposal, you can't get one yet, and it will cover countries with reciprocal agreements
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

But the GHIC is a proposal, you can't get one yet, and it will cover countries with reciprocal agreements
It seems you don't need a GHIC if you have a valid EHIC, but if your EHIC has expired, you can get a GHIC, so its more than a proposal as far as UK/Portugal/EU goes....as for USA/Canada/NW etc, no idea!
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

To cut a long story short we abandoned our plans to travel.

Decided that it was too risky, too cold (in Algarve), too expensive (covid testing) and we probably wouldn't be welcome.

On return, eventually, I have ascertained that we need to go to Lagoa Town Hall and apply to upgrade our Atestado da Residencia to a Residency 5 year term. This will entitle us to override the 90 day rule and entitle us to a few other things subject to qualification.

Ironically we were only returning to oversee some building works including the installation of a heating system, we'll have to hope we can benefit from it next winter instead !
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

we need to go to Lagoa Town Hall and apply to upgrade our Atestado da Residencia to a Residency 5 year term. This will entitle us to override the 90 day rule and entitle us to a few other things subject to qualification.
Sounds interesting.....is this the D7 visa referred to in www.portugalresident.com/portugal-residency-for-brits/ ??

Does it entail changing EHIC/Driving Licence/Tax domicile as well though?
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

I stand corrected, thank you Geoff. I've got until 2024, but nice to know something will be in place.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

No I think the D7 Visa is different. I gathered this information through my research. No impact on tax but not sure about EHIC or Driving Licence yet.

This may be time limited and related to the withdrawal agreement. Some comments I've read refer to end of June 2021 deadline for applications.

Portuguese immigration policy for longer than 90 days

If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days, you need a registration certificate from your local city council to formalize your residence. Each member of your family will need to be registered. You will also typically need to sign up for social security in Portugal.

The registration certificate is valid for five years. Once you have been in Portugal for 90 days, you have 30 days to apply for your registration certificate. The cost is around €15.

Portugal immigration rules
To apply for the registration certificate, you will need:

a valid passport/travel ID
written confirmation of employment or self-employment, or that you have sufficient funds for you and your family to stay in Portugal
proof of health insurance in Portugal (if the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin).

Permanent Portuguese residence for EU citizens

After five years of uninterrupted legal residence in Portugal, EU/EFTA citizens can apply for a certificate of permanent residence to formalize long-term residency in Portugal. The permanent residence certificate doesn’t affect your EU rights in Portugal and is more of a formality.

You can apply for permanent residence as an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal at your local branch of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF). A list of local branches is available here. This needs to be done by appointment at any time before your Portuguese registration certificate expires. Information on scheduling an appointment with the SEF is available here, or you can make an appointment online.

While Portuguese permanent residency permits enable unlimited residence for EU/EFTA citizens, they are only valid for limited periods of time but can be continually renewed. You must check the expiry date on your permit; make sure you apply for a renewed permit at the SEF with due time.

To apply for Portuguese permanent residence as an EU/EFTA national, you will need documents such as:

a valid registration certificate as proof of uninterrupted legal residence for five years
valid passport/travel ID
two passport photographs
proof of address.
An electronic copy of the application form for permanent residence (in Portuguese) can be found here.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

widge wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:26 am On return, eventually, I have ascertained that we need to go to Lagoa Town Hall and apply to upgrade our Atestado da Residencia to a Residency 5 year term. This will entitle us to override the 90 day rule and entitle us to a few other things subject to qualification.
I believe if you are already resident you can apply online and get a temporary confirmation. This will then need to be followed up with biometrics etc. This can be used for travel in the meantime.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

I am sure that you are correct Sam. My problem is that the Atestado isn't proof of residency so I can't register on the SEF portal for the temporary card.

However, a very helpful chap at SEF has taken my details and assures me that they are compiling a list of foreign ex pats who do not have Residency but who may apply under the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

They are snowed under at present but hope to get back to me soon.

Fingers crossed !
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I gathered this information through my research
Very interesting Widge, but it refers to EU citizens, which we aren't.....would you give the references you used please , to see what it might say about non-EU residents?
Thanks.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Hi Geoff,

There are many sources of information but the SEF website should be authoritative as they are responsible for administering the Registration process.

https://brexit.sef.pt/en/faqs/

As I previously mentioned I had already registered before Brexit went live and believe that I am protected under the Withdrawal Agreement. Anyway there are numerous scenarios explained in detail in the Faq's referred to above.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

We applied for our GHIC cards early January and received them last week. Valid until end of 2025.