Schengen visa rules

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Schengen visa rules

Post by Geoff »

Interesting article from Blevin Franks at :

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/arti ... -Feb21-CET
Andrewf
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Andrewf »

For those who have bought a property and have previously registered as EU Citizens at the Camara, does this mean you are exempt from the Schengen visa rules, and can visit / stay as long as you wish?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

For those who have bought a property and have previously registered as EU Citizens at the Camara, does this mean you are exempt from the Schengen visa rules, and can visit / stay as long as you wish?
I didn't think that registering with the Camara bestowed EU citizenship : just a Residencia in Portugal, which ( I understand) means a liability to pay Portuguese tax , register with the Portuguese Health Authority, have a Portuguese Driving Licence and EHIC card ...which is why we didn't go down that route.

If you are an EU citizen, you presumably need a Portuguese passport ?
Andrewf
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Andrewf »

Hi Geoff - when registering, you do obtain an EU citizen registration certificate - not full residency / passport, but I presumed, the right to use the property as you wish. Taxation (other than the usual property taxes) depends on where you spend the majority of your time - if over 6 months in Portugal you have to make a tax declaration. But even below this time, it will be good to avoid the restrictions of the 90/180 Schengen rule - if this is the case. I'll take some more advice but thanks for your response.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

But even below this time, it will be good to avoid the restrictions of the 90/180 Schengen rule - if this is the case. I'll take some more advice but thanks for your response.
Indeed...please keep in touch .
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Just to say that this is a better site for calculating the 90/180 day problem:

https://www.visa-calculator.com/

It looks as if the only way round it is either:
1. Golden Visa
2. Non habitual residency
3. D7 Residential

But 2 and 3 require tax status to be in Portugal, as I understand it....and D7 needs 6 mths continuous stay ( or 8 mths non continuous). With the Golden Visa, you need to spend at least 7, but are not tax liable of less than 183...

I just want any 180 out of 365 , but its not possible!
Last edited by Geoff on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Hi Geoff,

I haven't seen any reference to D7 visa holders having to be taxed in Portugal ?

After 5 years you have the option to convert to NHR status (which involves tax) but it is only an option as I understand.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

With a D7 you have to spend a minimum of 6 consecutive mths in Portugal ( or 8 non censecutive), hence liable for Portuguese tax...see Sovereign explanation at : https://www.sovereigngroup.com/portugal ... e-d7-visa/
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Just clarified the Golden Visa.....you need to spend >7 days, but aren't tax liable if <183...but you need to invest 500k€ in a property ( or some other investments from 300k€) but not in the Algarve after 31 December this year, so bit problematic!