Firefly Car hire

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
margaretm
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Firefly Car hire

Post by margaretm »

We were wondering if anyone has rented a car through Firefly from Faro Airport. We booked our rental car for our July holiday as usual through Holiday Autos. It originally named another company who have now become Firefly. However, on looking up reviews of this company , there do not seem to be many positive ones ( well only one actually) . We arrive in Faro in the early evening and don't really want to be looking round for a representative of Firefly for ages. Any info will be appreciated. Many thanks
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Firefly Car hire

Post by Lesley Jean »

I have never heard of them but if your gut instinct is to question them then I would book through another company if you can.

Why don't you use www.algarvedriver.com they sponsor this site and we have used them for over 8 years now, always good cars, cars are always there even at very early pick up times.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

"Our objective is to become the car hire company that you can trust and rely on when planning your holidays." REFERENCE Is this the one you're referring to?

No indication of how long they have been in business but the above statement implies not long enough yet to have attained their objective. :wink:
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Never heard of the until now. Apparently were previously called Advantage and are part of the Hertz group.

check the fuel policy.
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

We returned home last weekend after two weeks over there. Another reasonably priced, efficient, hassle free car hire from AlgarveDriver/YOR Car (booked via the link on this website). Once again, car was booked from the UK, no money paid until collection at Faro.
We always book Group A car - small is beautiful when negotiating some of the remote villages in the hills and parking is also easier. We received an almost brand new (400km on clock) Fiat Panda, which I was surprised to find had a 1200cc engine. Presented credit card, licence and booking form to the pleasant guy at the 'office van', who advised me to get some fuel at the gas station near the car park exit, because the fuel low warning light was on. I was asked if I required the transponder for the A22 tolls (€20 - which gave €15 credit for tolls) - I declined because I had no intention of using the A22. However, a 15 minute wait at the gas station and a traffic accident (not us!) near Almancil meant we were running quite late to meet the apartment owner with the key, so I made a snap decision to speed up the journey by using the A22 just the once. I could always pay at the Post Office (or so I thought). On passing under the first sensor gantry I was surprised to hear a 'bleep', which I couldn't fathom because I had declined the transponder. Couldn't see a transponder anywhere. Few days later the lady in the Post Office told me she had no record of the toll charge and it must have gone to the company via a transponder. Then I discovered that a transponder was indeed fitted, hidden behind the rear view mirror. I had mistakenly thought that if you took the transponder at €20 it was handed to you and you stuck onto the windscreen/dashboard, but all cars have them fitted permanently. If you decline the transponder and then use the A22, the company can charge you the full €20. As I had used the company before, I was granted a discretionary concession and charged only €10. I think my actual toll charges were around €4, so this seemed fair enough to me. Needless to say, the car was returned with the fuel gauge well into the red section as they always say return with fuel level same as on collection. I will use the company again.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

We have just switched to Algarve Driver after many years of using an other. Due to a family bereavement we had to come back to the UK earler than planned returning a few days later.
I cannot fault the service we received from AD.
Regarding the transponder we were told when collecting the car that " if " we used the A22 we could not pay at the Post Office.
Not a problem as we used up 95% of the prepayment.
We have rebooked AD for our next visit in a few weeks and at the moment cannot see any reason to change again.
No long queues or fuel premium .
kennycapes
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by kennycapes »

I have always looked at this web site each year we come out but never found the rates competitive to others on the web. Am I not looking at it right or can others please tell me if they have found it cheaper in August than other sites. i have gone with Tavel Rent (will be out 5th time) and have never had any issues and have full insurance cover and have the fair fuel policy.

Happy renting everyone. Enjoy your holidays.
margaretm
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by margaretm »

Thank you everyone for your responses. We decided to cancel our booking with Holiday Autos and have now booked a car through Algarve Drivers ( extra cost but hopefully peace of mind ) Fingers crossed all will be well ! Roll on July when we again holiday in my favourite place , I've been coming to Carvoeiro for over 20 years , it's changed a lot but still absolutely love it.
bradybunch
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bradybunch »

So fed up with having my hire car broken into last year, this year we booked a fabulous car with Budget through AutoEurope. Fantastic service WITH A SMILE, couteous and the price was spot on. We had a diesal Corsa and it cost us 18 euros in fuel. Much prefer the pickup full return full policy and the transponder toll charge was included. Just booked with them again and my son has booked also. All their cars are central locking with a keyfob instead of many of the other more reasonable car hire companies where you have to open the door with a key. I'm sure that these are more easily broken into. Even if your excess is covered it is such an inconvenience to have to drive back to Faro airport to pick up another car and stand out of 100 euros untill you get back home to claim it back.
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

Did the Corsa not have key lock at all? I have had plenty of cars with a remote control fob, but all have also had a key back-up incorporated in case of battery failure in the fob. I have also had cars which only lock with a key - but they have all been central locking and this usually immobilises the engine also.
Perhaps your Corsa was one of the current cars whcih have ONLY a remote fob and no keyhole.
Trouble is that if the thieves can't get in via the locking mechanism, they will just smash a window or even wrench a door open at the top (the weakest point) and bend it down. They are very determined people!
You don't give any prices. I'm sure folks would be interested to know what you paid and how long for, so they can make comparisons with other rental companies.
bradybunch
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bradybunch »

You don't give any prices. I'm sure folks would be interested to know what you paid and how long for, so they can make comparisons with other rental companies.

I paid £95 for 7 days from 21st May.
floyd
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by floyd »

Booked 10 days with Fire fly in Spain this time. Offices are within Hertz compound. Got an Opal Zaphira with 1000k on the clock. Out of the airport, on the road in record time with a full tank of fuel. Extra cost for damage waver, extra driver and the cost of the tank of fuel seemed to include a little Brucie bonus for them, but what the hell. Highly efficient and friendly. Over all cost shared between two families so dunno how much it was and not interested. Will certainly use them again.
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

Just booked 14 days with Algarve Driver for first two weeks in September. Bit of a price hike since last September (€60), so did a bit of comparison checking. Found one or two cheaper, but noticed some had GoldCar and other companies which have received bad reviews among their providers. Also, some didn't mention the option to use your own 'hire car excess insurance', which I have, so I decided to stick to the 'better the devil you know' principle and stick with AlgarveDriver. Cost €330 for 14 days with Group A1 car. That doesn't include their €7 per day excess cover option, which I didn't need.
steve53
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by steve53 »

Each time we visit I shop around for car hire. I came across Firefly when looking for our most recent trip at the beginning of June but not being one of the mainstream I avoided them. I find that by trying the different search sites, who each seem to have good deals with the different providers, you can get a good price from the likes of Hertz or Budget. We book an "Economy" car such as a Polo or Clio and for 2 weeks at the start of this month paid £177 for a Clio estate with Budget and for 10 days in April just over £100 to Hertz for an almost new Audi A1. Each Company operates the better return full fuel policy. By the time you add on the cost of the return empty fuel that you have to pay for at pick up with some suppliers the main operators are usually decent value. I also have the insurance excess policy that I buy from Insurance 4 car hire for, I think, £49.