A22 toll options - your opinion?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY

Algarvedriver.com / Yor consider the following options at the moment, which would you prefer;

Pay 1,84 euro rental per day for the electronic device and get billed directly from Via Verde (max of 18,40 euro).
15%
Prepay 20 euro tolls + 5 euro administration fee (no refunds) and get the electronic device.
25%
Sort the tolls yourself but incur a 3 euro administration fee if YOR is required to supply your address to the authorities.
60%

Total votes: 40

laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: A22 toll options - your opinion?

Post by laserblazer »

I thought I'd found a simple way. Pay the toll at Intermarche a couple of days after arriving and then ask someone to pay it for me a couple of days after we leave. Of course, this probably won't work as the next hirer will have clocked up some tolls by then.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

Bruce Wallis wrote:I'm sorry, but I still think that the hire company solutions are essentially means of making more money ...
I agree with you on that. I also think 10€ extra on a week's hire is far too much. It seems like the Ryanair business model applied to car hire. But when using Ryanair, a regular traveller learns the rules and plays by them. That's why I pointed out the method I use to pay tolls and offered it as a solution for regular visitors.
laserblazer wrote:I thought I'd found a simple way. Pay the toll at Intermarche a couple of days after arriving and then ask someone to pay it for me a couple of days after we leave. Of course, this probably won't work as the next hirer will have clocked up some tolls by then.
My method removes the need to ever again go to a Post Office, PayShop or whatever and removes any possibility of having to pay someone else's charges just to ensure that mine are paid. Seems simple to me.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Question to Steen

If somebody renting a car from Algarve Driver/YOR had their own "Pré-pago Anónimo" device (as described by Richard Henshall and on the CTT web site here http://www.ctt.pt/fectt/wcmservlet/ctt/ ... onimo.html) would the car still be supplied with a transponder and would the proposed fee upto 18.40 euros still be charged?
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

Farol wrote:Question to Steen

If somebody renting a car from Algarve Driver/YOR had their own "Pré-pago Anónimo" device (as described by Richard Henshall and on the CTT web site here http://www.ctt.pt/fectt/wcmservlet/ctt/ ... onimo.html) would the car still be supplied with a transponder and would the proposed fee upto 18.40 euros still be charged?
Unfortunately yes; In the agreement it looks as if all rental cars must be equipped with the transponder and a contract between the CTT and the client signed. The car's number plate is linked to the transponder and a definitive contract between the two made.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

Steen Jakobsen wrote:
... In the agreement it looks as if all rental cars must be equipped with the transponder and a contract between the CTT and the client signed. The car's number plate is linked to the transponder and a definitive contract between the two made.
Well there is some progress :roll: If all rental cars have a transponder then surely the hire companies merely have to take a card swipe from the client and any tolls are debited directly onto the card. The hire companies will have to adjust their rental fees to cover any extra costs. How much the hire companies add on will be at their discretion but obviously will be subject to market competition as always. Simples !
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

cereza wrote:
Steen Jakobsen wrote: Well there is some progress :roll: If all rental cars have a transponder then surely the hire companies merely have to take a card swipe from the client and any tolls are debited directly onto the card. The hire companies will have to adjust their rental fees to cover any extra costs. How much the hire companies add on will be at their discretion but obviously will be subject to market competition as always. Simples !
In the end of the day yes. They'll probably all charge the same "tax" but if profitable they'll be able to lower rental prices in order to gain bookings.

And this amateur circus will cease, to great satisfaction for Spain and other budget holiday countries...
Sadly I have no doubt that the authorities will charge any traffic fines to the credit cards in their possession opening up a Bonanza of new revenue.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Steen Jakobsen wrote:
Farol wrote:Question to Steen

Unfortunately yes; In the agreement it looks as if all rental cars must be equipped with the transponder and a contract between the CTT and the client signed. The car's number plate is linked to the transponder and a definitive contract between the two made.
Basically: if a tourist to Portugal hires a car next year he/she is down twenty sobs before they start off, and any motorway tolls incurred are on top of that. Nice.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Steen....has it occurred to you, and the Algarve car hire industry, how bad all this makes you guys look??
I know most of this is Lisbon driven, but using the multinational AVIS model as an excuse for profiteering on the tolls and their collection, makes you all look like a load of cowboys!!!

Dont copy AVIS....come up with an honest , and fair model, for all of us.
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Steen....has it occurred to you, and the Algarve car hire industry, how bad all this makes you guys look??
So now I am looking bad because I open and encourage the debate?
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Let's face it, it's a mess whichever way you look. For me, YOR's current policy of doing nothing, is best.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Steen Jakobsen wrote:
Bruce Wallis wrote:Steen....has it occurred to you, and the Algarve car hire industry, how bad all this makes you guys look??
So now I am looking bad because I open and encourage the debate?
That was a comment about the Algarve car hire industry generally, not you, or YOR in particular.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Thought you owned your own car ? :shock:
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

widge wrote:Thought you owned your own car ? :shock:
I do, but family and guests use hire cars.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Just back from 3 lovely days in Cvo. Car hire company travelrent. Cost for 3 days €35 for July '12 fiesta with just under 5,000 kms on clock. I was offered the choice of motorway or no motorway use when collecting the car. opted for no motorway but had to pay €20 'deposit' for motorway use, refundable on return. The girl at the kiosk stated that they would check the transponder to see if I used the motorway before refunding the €20. She also informed me that she would not enter the car hire contract number on the cc impress and that I could use it again next time.

On arrival back in P4 , no check on transponder, no check for damage, just checked the petrol tank, gave me back the €20 and the cc impress, and when I told him that I would not be tearing it up this time as it could be used again, he said that he had told me that the last time and that I must not have been listening :)

So far anyway I can't fault travelrent. Know that €35 was probably over the odds for 3 days in December, but I am happy with their service.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Flew out from Faro today and the car park which was being re-done between car park 4 and the terminal is now open with a direct walk way through it. I imagine that the canopy structure that is above it will eventually have a cover on it for rainy days.