Rocha Brava admin

see map http://www.carvoeiro.com/images/rochabrava_map.jpg
rbowner

Rocha Brava admin

Post by rbowner »

Whoi do rocha brava think they are telling us that we can only rent OUR propertys through them, I dont think so!
Any other owners have a comments!

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know exactly what the situation is regarding the renting of property? We own one villa on Rocha Brava and let it to friends and family to offset costs. Can this be illegal and can the management prevent us from doing it?
Villa owner

Rocha Brava Admin

Post by Villa owner »

If we canot rent - how about Holiday Property Bond - can they still rent?
How about the Residents Association - do they know about this?
It s doesn't seem to be in our contract about not being able to rent.
We pay Portuguese tax on our private rentals and/or English tax.
Can we vote the management off the board if they try to go ahead with this?
rb villa owner

rocha brava admin

Post by rb villa owner »

i think it ought to be pointed out that it is not Rocha Brava who have made the statement but the Rocha Brava owner's committee.
RB OWNER1

Post by RB OWNER1 »

WRONG
I HAVE A LETTER FROM ROCHA BRAVA
who clearly state that they are the only ones who can rent out any of the propertys on rocha brava
PYC

Post by PYC »

Why does private letting put the 'future viability of the resort at risk' ? Other complexes in CVA allow private lettings - Quinta do Paraiso for one - and they are still viable. We pay our yearly fees for the upkeep of Rocha Brava and these are substantially higher than Quinta and Bravirocha makes enough money out of these. I own my villa not Bravirocha and my choices are

1. Rent it out myself and I get some money, Bravirocha make money out of my guests using the coffee bar, O'Farols, the shop, currency exchange, tennis etc or

2. I don't rent it out and myself and Bravirocha get nothing - my potential guests will go elsewhere!

If there can only be one letting entity per site surely the 'site' is my villa and I am that letting entity - not Bravirocha.

If this is not the case I suggest we vote off the committee, close the management and get someone in as a letting agent that charges realistic fees on a non-profit basis.

Remember its your property - not Bravirocha's or the Owner's Committee.
guest121

Post by guest121 »

Well said
Owner

Legal Rentals

Post by Owner »

It is my undrstanding that Rocha Brava site management and property letting are different entities. For maintenance RB have a budget and base our yearly maintence on this plus a reasonable profit. This is fine. If the rentals are not doing well that is their problem.

I do not like renting through RB as they take a high percentage for doing very little, I have no control over who is using my property, and they refuse to take resonsiblity for inspecting it before and after and take responsibility for obtaing payment for any damage.

I understand that collectively we have the option of voting to dispense with the site management. If they persist with this line I think this is something we could consider.

Finally there may or may not be something in Portugese law which supports RB stand, but Eurpean Law takes precidence and this may be different. Another avenue to possibly explore.
pyc

Post by pyc »

I totally agree - there must be something in European Law to do with 'restriction of trade'. All I know is RB will have one hell of a fight on their hands if they try to prevent private rentals.
julia
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by julia »

although i don't know the exact details, you may be interested to know that a group of the larger villa owners are in the process of legally contesting the stranglehold the management tries to exercise. i think primarily they object to paying management\maintenance fees when no work has been done as the villas are seperately locked and gated and the owners have their own management agencies who do all work. We know because our purchase that has sadly fallen through :( was one of those involved. So , who knows?! ps. anyone got a 3 or 4 bed villa for sale? i can't believe we have to start looking all over again, this is the second property to fall through.
Rb owner

Renting

Post by Rb owner »

Having read the opinions on the renting situation, I'd like to stae the facts:
1. PORTUGUESE TOURIST LAW forbids letting through any more than one entity per tourist development/complex, NOT Bravirocha, or the Owners Committee. The Circular merely brings the law to owners' attention.
2.This has been pointed out in a recent circular by the Owners Committee, not Bravirocha.
3. HPB do not rent. All who stay in their property are Bondholders and as such OWN a share in the properties, so no renting occurs.
4.Booting out the management company and the Owners Committee isn't a solution, even if possible, as there's much more to running RB than just the renting considerations.
5.All Owners have been circulated with this information, without exception.

Finally, a suggestion. If we as Owners feel we want to challenge the Portuguese law in the european courts - fine - who's going to pay the lawyers' (no doubt huge) bills? It could take years and a LOT of money, with no guarantee of winning. Wouldn't it be better to try to reach some accommodation with BR over the contentious issues raised, so that we can all continue to enjoy our properties and the current surroundings without major upheaval as advocated by some here?
pyc

Post by pyc »

Fine - the management company I use for my other property in CVO charge 10% per rental. If Bravirocha want to do the same I will gladly pay and only rent through them!
Another Owner

Post by Another Owner »

I Have to agree with RB owner. The matter was discussed at the annual meeting, and it is the Portuguese Law which requires it. The original notice pointing this out was indeed sent by the owners committee. This doesn't mean that you can't rent to a person or a relative, it only means that you can't place it in the hands of an agency.
RogueBrit

Maintenance Fees

Post by RogueBrit »

Just out of interest, have the morons who have been refusing to pay their maintenance fees at RB finally given up their futile behaviour. Also, I look forward to receiving a threat to sue me from the Scottish moron who has been leading the group of idiots.

I will be more than happy to provide him with my full contact details and will reciprocate with my own frivolous law-suit
guest999

Post by guest999 »

PRAT!!