Loathe It
38%

Total votes: 16

TAXMAN
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

L'Orange - Love it or loathe it ?

Post by TAXMAN »

L'Orange - a restaurant with its fans for sure but also attracting less favourable rsponses (not least from my father-in-law who swears he'll never go back).

If you love it - what is so good about it ?
If you loathe it - do you agree it's over expensive or perhaps there's another reason ?
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: We tried it twice, on both occasions we found it over-busy, so much so that we had to wait for such a long time for our main meal we had forgotten what we ordered!! Also feel it is expensive for what you get.

A lot better places for that kind of money, but this is a very personal review, what one likes another will find not to their taste.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I have never understood why people rate this place so highly.
When we went we found the food quite good, far too expensive and it had the ambiance of a well past its sell by date establishment, and to quote my son "Well up its self!"
It may have been the place to go long ago, but not any more
Elle and Ella is far superior in all respects.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Haven't been here for a few years but Ive enjoyed past meals at L'Orange..thought the food very nice :P
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Love it, never had a bad meal and looking forward to going tomorrow
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

I'Orange

Post by Canada »

After all of the hipe about El & Ela we tried it last year. Didn't find it nearly as good as L'Orange. The friendly atmosphere is bright and welcoming. I really don't remember my meal at El & Ela - it was most forgettable.
kteee

Post by kteee »

We've been to L'Orange a couple of times, but only when we've been with other people who wanted to go - we weren't impressed and haven't been back
johnfrumtarn
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by johnfrumtarn »

Only been the once so wouldn't say I loath or love it.

I have to say I was disappointed. I ordered rack of lamb to compare with one at Ele & Ela and it was quite tough. When asked if everything was okay I pointed out that my lamb was a bit tough and not very tasty and the guy just laughed and walked off. Why ask ?

The rest of the service was very good and indeed the starters and other main's were pretty good too.

Overall though nothing was as good as Ele & Ela.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Just arrived back after a really nice mee at L'orange.
food fantastic and s.ervice top notch
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

This sounds like the Blair/New labour debate. You have an opinion, good or bad, and nothing, even the evidence will change that.
So carry on enjoying where you will, Bon Appitite.............................................But you certainly wont find me giving l'Orange a 3rd chance! :wink:
zhit
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

We love it....

Post by zhit »

We spent our evenings at L'Orange for several times - and it always was a good choice:
The meals are tasty and more subtle - you can't compare with the usual 'mainstream' restaurant offer down at CVO. I must admit that the restaurant seems to be higher in price than others.

We never came to CVO in the high season, so I can't judge the service in July or August. But in March, April, May, the service was always friendly (sometimes even good for a little joke). What we like: the people at L'Orange are always attentive, ask if everything is fine and after the meal, the owner comes to the table to have a little chat with the guests. The atmosphere is quite familiar: the room is not too big (just a few tables) and friendly decorated.

It's NO problem for us, that the restaurant is closed on sundays and that credit cards are not accepted... And it is also NO problem for us, that one should make a reservation - even in the low season. :wink:

Finally: Dining at L'Orange is nothing for "every evening" - we go there for special causes like birthday or wedding day.
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joanne »

We have not been for a couple of years, as used to be one of our favs but my Mothers Salmon came and it was frozen in the middle, when we sent it back we were just offered a new meal which she decided to not have as we had all got half way through ours by then, the bill arrived and they had charged us for her meal.....When we pointed out she hadnt eaten it they then had it taken of the bill, it just put us of a bit and so didnt go back, but my Husband said he wants to give it a try again next week, any opinions of anyone who been in recently?
Thanks in advance
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Forget it........there are now several nicer and less self satisfied places around now.
Just read some of the recent reviews and try one or 2 of the well reviewed places.
For my mind, Colina Village, or Chrissies in Lagoa are worth a visit.

I certainly wont bother with l'Orange any more.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Been going for years and never had a bad meal, however service not as good since Paulo left
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

I've been a couple of times. My cousins love going there but I found the food pretty average. My friend had vegetarian pasta and the veggies were canned. My prawns were of the small frozen variety.
I think that for the price, you should get a far better quality of food.