Driving to Carvoeiro with a dog from UK

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Sueredgie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Driving to Carvoeiro with a dog from UK

Post by Sueredgie »

Please can you advise me as to some experiences you have had with dogs in cages on Brittany ferries please! How much walking time can they have onboard?
We are trying to book for travelling in October, everything is booked up, cabins with a dog also all booked. Which routes have been the best? Many thanks Sue
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Driving to Carvoeiro with a dog from UK

Post by CM »

Sue, I did the Poole to Cherbourg route. It is a lot more driving but only 5 hours on the ferry for the dog, you get to visit them half way through the journey and give them a little walk about (I went against the rules and stayed with my dog so he was only on his own for 2 hours) Then its just a matter of how quickly you want to get to Carvoeiro, if there are two of you sharing the driving then do one night stay en route and put the hammer down.
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by John Burgess »

I have not done it myself I have a friend same town in the UK as me and he has done it several times Brittany ferry are good but if fully booked go via Dover Calis stay over at hotel one more night I am told it just like taking the dog on a long journey at home. Might be worth a thought.
Silki
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Silki »

The channel tunnel is the route the pet transport people use. The dog stays with you in the vehicle and is a very short trip. I suppose it depends where you are starting from in the UK.
Sueredgie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Sueredgie »

Thank u all. We r doing Folkestone to Calais on Eurotunnel and going to do 2 overnight stops and make a bit of a holiday of it! Wish us luck!
Silki
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Silki »

That's good to hear. It must be the best for the animals if the pet transport people do it. That way the dog is always with you and not left in the car or in a kennel. Have a good trip.