GLS Express parcel delivery (not)

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

GLS Express parcel delivery (not)

Post by maccasa »

So, my daughter and tribe were at my house early april - they used my car and disconnected the battery and came home mid april. I went out April 21st and used the car the next morning to fetch a parcel from Alcantarilha - couldnt find the usual key which has the central locking in it but had got a normal one as a spare. On my way back the diesel low warning light came on - went to fill up and found that I couldnt open the filller cap as I hadn't got the central locking key! I drove home after shopping at Aldi and parked the car in the garage. obviously with te fuel waring light on *I couldnt risk using it. After several phone calls to my daughter, the key was found in my son-in-laws pocket! Wonderful she can send it to me by express royal mail 3-5 days promised (£15!). That was on the 23rd april. No sign of it mid next week although another package - some body lotion which she sent on fri 25th by standard airmail - arrived on the monday - 4 days inc weekend. I started to call GLS - the agent in PT - usual thing 20mins hanging on and then they said they would contact the depot in Estoi and arrange delivery asap. On the third phone call they said there was not enough information on the address (remember the other parcel - same address details!) They said they needed a PT phone number - I gave them my catsitters number. Wonderful, this saga continued over the next 12 days with me calling lisbon daily to get updates as they could not find the address! - total of over 2 hrs in calls, until I left last friday to return UK. GLS said they would arrange return to uk as I was no longer there.

This morning I get a whatsapp photo and message from my catsitter - they have delivered the key to her last night at 19.30.

I have never met such a useless organisation - remember the name GLS and also that they are the express agents for Royal mail! Standard airmail is faster and much cheaper - I now have the fun of trying to claim back the cost of phone calls ( ~ €110) and original shipping cost! Joy!
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: GLS Express parcel delivery (not)

Post by roy4eyes »

I now use Direct Transport at Porches for all deliveries. OK you have to drive to the depot to pick up - or they will make an additional charge to deliver locally - but everything arrives within 3 - 5 days at a lower cost than Express post.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

agreed re Direct Transport, been happy with their service for years.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Whats the contact no etc? you book from uk presumably?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Look at www.directtransport.net and you will find all details. Cost for a small parcel is 3 - 5 euros.
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Ordered a small item from Ireland, for my car the other week.
Asked for tracking etc, as I thought, so small would have it delivered directly. WRONG.
They used Royal Mail, who then used GLS here. After numerous phone calls to the supplier, CTT and Emails, I found it had been delivered last week to a shop in the Village!
Never again! I will have everything sent to Direct Transport, whom I use on a regular basis.
You have been warned!
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

GLS are famous for their uselessness. Unfortunately I understand that they are owned by Royal Mail so all packages to Portugal from UK will be routed using them. Direct Transport is reliable and good vfm. Been using them since we encountered similar problems with GLS.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I was waiting for a parcel from GLS and when I checked the tracking their site advised me that they had tried to deliver but no one was home. No notification of the attempt to deliver was put in my postbox. I sent an email asking for re delivery but got no response. Checking again on their website showed that the parcel had been left at the GLS parcel point in Carvoeiro. This turned out to be the travel agent just along from the Farmacia but when I went there I was advised that the package was not there. I went back the next day and it was there so I was able to collect it. GLS are basically hopeless at letting customers know what is happening. The system of a drop off in Carvoeiro after a failure to deliver is not a bad idea provided that the customer knows this. To let of steam I sent a complaint to Royal Mail about their international parcel service but expect nothing more than a routine reply.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Herewith the follow up reply from Royal Mail to my complaint. The first reply did not really address the point I was making.

"Thank you for contacting us.

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with our delivery partner, however we are partnered with GLS as they provide far greater tracking information and more consistently take signatures on delivery. This gives our UK customers who purchase their service through Royal Mail the best possible service for their money.

If you wish items to be handled via your local postal service then the senders can use our Standard service or our Tracked service, as only Signed for items are handled by GLS.

I am sorry that my reply cannot be more favourable however, if you require any further advice about the services we provide, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Regards
Daniel Shortt
Royal Mail"

It is interesting to note that you can still get things delivered here by post rather than courier but for things purchased online this is not really an option because for their own protection sellers require the goods to be signed for on delivery.
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Steve, when eventually I found my small package which was delivered by Royal Mail and Gls, it was likewise at the Easy Go Shop near the Chemist.
When I asked why they signed for it, they stated they didn’t and it was in a large bag with other parcels!
I tackled them on the subject of being a Parcel Shop and being paid for this service,I received a nice smile and was told no!
My friend has also had important papers sent via Royal Mail and Dpd. She managed to contact Dpd here and they said they were at the Easy go shop in Lagoa, NOT!
I smell something very fishy here and will continue to use Direct in future. At least, if not longer delivery, I get my items!
As for your response from Royal Mail, I am sure they have not a clue as to what is going on over here! Some Couriers don’t have a Sat Nav or even a phone!