New Security Scanners at Faro Airport

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

New Security Scanners at Faro Airport

Post by mug »

The new unmanned hand luggage scanners were noticeable when we returned home last night. I think they were still bedding in. (Or at least thats what it seemed like!)
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: New Security Scanners at Faro Airport

Post by Farol »

Tell us more. Have not seen them yet. How do you use them?
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mug »

I dont remember that much. Big large trays for items to go in. Through the scanner and then 2 tracks out of the scanner -seemingly unmanned. One track for collection/ pick up of items out of the scanner and items for examination pushed across onto 2nd track out of your reach. Empty trays then "sucked" away back to the start of the track where they appear underneath for travellers to add their items. Very automated. On Saturday evening there were only 2 "stations" in operation and there was a lot of shouting of instructions going on. At least they weren't introducing this in mid summer as you might have expected! By the way the Departure lounge is getting there with many stores and cafes already open.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Used them last Friday and I think they were a big improvement. Birmingham could learn quite a bit from Faro Aeroporto!
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

When we went through returning to UK on March 3rd, the hand baggage scanners were manned as usual, with officers advising what to place in trays.
Also officers standing by the security arches as usual beckoning people through.
No different in fact from when we were there last September.
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mug »

Hope I did not mislead anyone else. I am at the airport now and the actual luggage scanners where previously there was a person sitting looking at a screen of items going through the scanner are now unmanned and automated. Yes there are security persons at either end of the conveyor but this was not the point of my post.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Went through security yesterday, lots of staff on duty. Confess I didn’t notice there was automatic scanners but as I was taking I my iPad out of the case, one of the security stand said to leave it in the case, ( not in cabin bag, but small bag with iPad, phone, keys etc). They have the same system as Dublin where you push the tray onto the moving rollers when you are ready. Very efficient yesterday.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

We went through on tuesday......the recycling of the trays is automatic, but there were security guys, as usual, advising on what to put in trays and looking at the monitors...and going through some bags. About 10 mins queue , unless you payed to fast track!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Flew out of Faro on Wednesday. Arrived airport 9am. Baggage check-in area very busy. Took 25 minutes to get through security and managed Passport Control in about 20 minutes. But when in the queue could see that people were stuck on the stairs down to Passport Control. Several large groups of school kids being ushered through and queue we were in started to get a bit dis-organised. Eventually someone in high vis started trying to shepherd folk into proper queue.

Not convinced they have enough staff. Equipment and booths are there but haven't seen all being operated at one time when airport is busy.

Like the improvements to cafes etc in departure lounge.

Until next time..................end of April/start of May hopefully.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

I can only write of my experience this morning, returning from Faro, having arrived at the airport about 7.30am. Quick Bag-drop with Easyjet. Lots of people going through security, but the queues were very well-managed. It took no more than 10 minutes. The electronic passport desks were roped off, but only 5 or 6 people in front of us at the standard control desk. And the new waiting area is such a huge improvement. Plenty of seating, coffee/snack opportunities, etc.

And only a 30 minute departure delay. :wink:
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Came back Friday lunchtime. Only Fast track and one general scanner operating. Long queues and waiting. They eventually opened a second scanner and moved a few people across then let new queue start with the rest of the long existing queue not best pleased.
Passport control was straight through.
Whilst there we went to Porto, take off at 6.30 am. Airport not very busy yet they had 2 general scanners operating. some better organisation would be appreciated.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

We came back to UK Saturday morning. When we walked into the terminal they had stopped the escalator going up to the security area because the security area was full. When we did get up there once you got past the point where they first scan your boarding passes we were channelled into the normal roped channels which at first stretched as far as the eye could see. However it then became clearer that they now have two security sections: one with several scanning points using the older system and then another area using the newer system. Despite the enormous queues everything moved very quickly and we cleared within 15 mins - good considering how many people were there.

We then went down to passport control to be met by another full hall of people. At the bottom of the escalator was a queue and if you just joined that you were in a very slow queue for the automatic passport scanners which rarely work. However by-pass that queue and join the very much longer snaking queues for the manned booths and again despite the length of the queues everything moved very quickly.

In both the security and passport area all stations were open and staffed.