Refurbished Tivoli?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Refurbished Tivoli?

Post by pato »

Any comments on the refurbishment, is it an improvement? personally I thought the original décor was fine :|
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Refurbished Tivoli?

Post by CM »

Had a 16 euro G&T in the skybar, great views but you best take your credit cards
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Wow €16 is a bit steep! I have heard that its a lovely bar but surely not €16 a drink nice. I think that will stop a lot of people popping in for a drink but i suppose they will have their residents which are more of a captive audience.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

It's fine for a one-off, and the view from up there is lovely
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

€16 ! for a G&T.... :shock:

think we will stick to O`Stop...
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Seems busy with guests - must be lots of wealthy people using it as well as offering good deals. The bar is a good platform looking over the sea but agree that O Stop is a better choice for a sunset drink, or anytime. it's a better view in a more natural environment, friendly staff and far cheaper!
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Bruce Wallis wrote:It's fine for a one-off, and the view from up there is lovely
I agree Bruce, a one off one drink with 2 straws !
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Seen some concerns about the glass panels up at the Sky bar, a bit fragile to some minds.
Silki
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Silki »

We had some of that view before they built the expensive and little used Sky Bar, now we can only see wooden troughs, greenery that is growing too tall and folded umbrellas.
The noise of the air conditioners is beyond a joke and music coming from the bar is annoying too for us and all of our neighbours.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Silki wrote:We had some of that view before they built the expensive and little used Sky Bar, now we can only see wooden troughs, greenery that is growing too tall and folded umbrellas.
The noise of the air conditioners is beyond a joke and music coming from the bar is annoying too for us and all of our neighbours.
Not every refurbishment is an improvement unfortunately, hope you and Jo are well. :D
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

To my mind it all looks a bit clinical. Too much white paint, and porters in top hats standing around.
ValN
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by ValN »

I stayed there for a week in early October, with my husband John. Package with Jet2Holidays - reasonable.
We have stayed there several times before, so we’ll aware what it was like before.
It is a bit white and clinical, but the new entrance that leads straight back to the balcony overlooking the sea view - does make the entrance a bit more spectacular.
The rooms are very comfortable. Very comfortable new beds. Again a bit white and clinical with tiled floors. The weather was red hot - so that seemed Ok, but if you get cooler weather - I did wonder if I would still like it!
My only adverse comments about the rooms - the bathroom now has a glass wall! I think no bigger than previous bathroom, but I may be wrong. There was no bath - just a large walk in shower. This glass wall can be covered by dropping down a white roller blind.
When we walked in to the room and I saw that - I thought - “Hm - not really keen on that.”
Sadly - after 2 days - I seemed to have eaten something that upset me!! (Which lasted for the next 6 days,) I obviously do not want to be too graphic - but I was certainly blessing that — glass wall!
On the plus side - the GP up at Monte Carvoeiro was wonderful!!
Overall - upgrade to bar area, dining room and front of house good. The wooden planking flooring round the pool - I wonder how long that will remain looking good! Rooms nice apart from the glass walled bathroom.
The hotel is just a little less Portuguese - you could have been anywhere.
The staff are still great however.
Will I stay there again?
Probably.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Interesting comments ValN, thank you. We've stayed at the "Old" Tivoli about 10 times. Booked the refurbished one last October, then Monarch went TU and cancelled. But we've booked again for mid-April and looking forward very much.

The sea-view rooms look very attractive on the hotel site, but then they would do. The bathroom issues are similar to ones we've come across before, so can cope with certain flexibility!

I'm assuming the breakfast on offer is much better. Previously, fruit juice and coffee were pretty awful. Hot food also to be avoided for me, but I was always happy with fresh fruit salad and yoghurt.

But the best thing is looking forward to coming back to Carvoeiro, a place in low season that, for us, has just about all we are looking for. Can't wait!