Speed Cam near Jumbo

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
santos
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Speed Cam near Jumbo

Post by santos »

Anyone know what the speed limit is for the stretch of road where the cam is sited please? Unlike the UK, there does not seem to be a requirement to advise road users of the limit with a sign displaying the speed limit immediately before the cam...

Thx
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Speed Cam near Jumbo

Post by Farol »

Where precisely is the camera?
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Is it a single camera? On the EN125 or the road to Estombar past the water park. Drove along that road other day, didn't see a speed camera. Speed signs reducing speed limit the nearer you get to the Jumbo roundabout.
Babaliz
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Babaliz »

It is on the 125. Heading towards the Jumbo roundabout from Portimao direction - it is just a grey box, nothing to alert you to the fact that it is a speed camera. Seemingly there are a few of them on the 125.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

i was told it is not yet "live"....
no signs, no road markings etc.

in that area it goes from 70kph to 50kph. so not sure what the camera will set at.
but when it does go live, i reckon a lot of people will be caught out.
bookbabe
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bookbabe »

If there is a place name then the road through is 50. I always work on the maxim if in doubt do 50.
santos
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by santos »

IS this live yet? Still no road markings, clear warnings , speed limit notices , although I have seen it flashing at vehicles. Does not mean it is live.

What is the fine for speeding and does uk licence get marked?
santos
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by santos »

https://www.scdb.info/software/statisti ... =en&land=P

Lagoa cam set at 90 KPH although no visible signs of this at the camera site...nor or there any road markings.

Has anyone been fined yet ?
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Thanks Santos. That is a very interesting link. I know now to look out also for the camera on the 125 just past the Guia shopping centre.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

The speed limit is 70 where the camera is sited according to google maps in street view.
santos
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by santos »

I think that the 70 KPH is just a little further on toward the roundabout, so maybe it goes, as per the website, 90 to 70 KPH but there should be a 90 KPH before the camera as a warning. Interesting to know if it is just flashing and not reporting or is indeed truly live and spouting fines. Yes Steve there is one near Guia according to the Link but not sure which direction it is aimed at. I am sure that this is just the start. There are apparently some rigged to just flash which can be switched on at will.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

There is a sign at the side of the road a couple of hundred metres before the camera - it just shows a radar icon. It is not very obvious nor does it show speed limit and is not as visible as signs in the UK. However if you learn their speed limits and stick to them then you will not have any problems.
santos
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by santos »

I quite agree with you Farol and that is precisely what I have been trying to discover. I have not criticized the deployment of the cameras but I am critical of the fact that it has taken a trawl around the Net to determine what speed limit we have to adhere to . Much easier and more clear if they had posted a KPH sign a few hundred metres back from the camera as they do in most other countries. As we have seen here, Logibob quite understandably, thought it was 70 kph and the website states 90 kph. Once we know, then as you say, we can adhere to the rules.What remains to be seen is the level of fines meted out as again this is ambiguous. It is banded according to the speed limit breached but within each band there is a wide spread of fines.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

I checked the google maps again to see what was going on, I went further back but no speed signs. so I went to the roundabout and checked the other side, nothing until you get to the turnoff for Silves and there on the slip road it says 80 and a bit further on 60. so I am guessing it is 90 until you hit the 70 sign before the roundabout. But it would be nice to know.
for a fact.
mixerman
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by mixerman »

there is one thing to bear in mind the speed trap/camera is there to detect law breakers , if you break the law you will be punished ! don't do it ! same in the uk you will be fined and points on your licence !