Prevalence of mushrooms in Portuguese dishes

GrimbleBee
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Prevalence of mushrooms in Portuguese dishes

Post by GrimbleBee »

I have a food sensitivity to mushrooms, not life-threatening but sufficient to ruin 24 hours if I accidentally eat some. Having never been to Portugal, I was wondering how common they are in traditional Portuguese food?

I'm looking forward to trying lots of sea-food dishes which I presume will be unlikely to be fungi laden, but how good are restaurants at responding to queries about ingredients?
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Prevalence of mushrooms in Portuguese dishes

Post by logicbob »

GrimbleBee wrote:I have a food sensitivity to mushrooms, not life-threatening but sufficient to ruin 24 hours if I accidentally eat some. Having never been to Portugal, I was wondering how common they are in traditional Portuguese food?

I'm looking forward to trying lots of sea-food dishes which I presume will be unlikely to be fungi laden, but how good are restaurants at responding to queries about ingredients?

Just tell them No Mushrooms Please. all the food is cooked fresh.
TGM
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by TGM »

Have been coming to the Algave for 20 years and cant say that I have seen any mushrooms in restuarant food?

I am Celiac and hence have a gluton alergy, which can make me violently ill if I consume any gluton.

However, most restuarants have waiters who speak very good english.

I have managed to eat out at many places over the years with any adversle effects. Should you find yourself somwhere that does not have staff who speach any English, then dont take a chance simply go elswhere. After all, there are hundreds of great restuarants to choose from in the Algarve and quite a lot in Caroeiro.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

I won't pretend my Portuguese is up to this but Google Translate gives the following for, "Please, I am allergic to mushrooms".

Por favor, sou alérgico aos cogumelos.

If you go on to GT you can hear it spoken by a native Portuguese speaker.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Mushroom sauces are common with lots of meat dishes. You shouldn't have any problem if you tell them. I suggest you take a print out with you rather than trying to tell them in Portuguese.
GrimbleBee
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by GrimbleBee »

Thanks for your comments - I'll take your advice and make a wallet sized print out of that sentence just in case.

R