Inter Rent

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Inter Rent

Post by Geoff »

Beware if hiring a car from them unless you are endowed with infinite patience....and arrive very early for your flight.

Coming out wasn't too bad, but it still took about half an hour to be processed: coming back was a disaster!

Their shuttle only has only 7 seats , so we and 4 others awaited the next one...but there is only one, so we waited it to come round again. An elderly couple then queue barged on first , meaning there were only 5 seats left. The driver refused to let one girl sit on her partners lap ( reasonably) , but refused to ask one of the elderly couple to wait for the next trip. There was a spare seat by the driver, but one of the Inter Rent girls took that to get to the airport to work : she refused to await the next shuttle or walk, so we had an impasse with the clock ticking.

The obvious solution, to me, was for the Inter Rent girl to walk/wait for the shuttle to come back : despite increasing anger and annoyance from the passengers, she blithely declared " it wasn't her problem".

In the end, I walked the 10 mins or so...with no thanks from the driver....and arrived at the same time as the shuttle...caught in the one-way system.

Worse thing though....the baggage handling youth for the elderly couple ( not sure if an Inter Rent employee or not ) traveled in the luggage department, with the suitcases and not on a seat......breaking all their insurance conditions I am sure.

Never again.
Last edited by Geoff on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Inter Rent

Post by John Burgess »

I use Auto Rocha pick up the car4 at car park 4 and drop it off there no need for shuttle you can pick your own time got to be worth less stress in peak summer I think the are competive price
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I use Auto Rocha pick up the car4 at car park 4
Yes, we invariably use Travelrent in the winter from P4 but they seem to charge a lot more in the summer...will stay with a P4 outfit in future, even if you do end up paying for the airport tax.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Use Algravedriver (YOR Car) and support the website!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

A late booking meant couldn't use usual company, when collected hire car I was lied to by 3 different staff members regarding return fuel policy. All 3 said full tank included in rental agreement yet week or so later credit card debited €70 for fuel. Complained to everyone and anyone but nothing done. Any chance I get I warn people about their practice. :x
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Any chance I get I warn people about their practice.
Which company were they?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

smudger wrote:A late booking meant couldn't use usual company, when collected hire car I was lied to by 3 different staff members regarding return fuel policy. All 3 said full tank included in rental agreement yet week or so later credit card debited €70 for fuel. Complained to everyone and anyone but nothing done. Any chance I get I warn people about their practice. :x
This sounds like a "Full Tank" policy, i.e. yes when you collect the car you get a full tank of petrol but when you take the car back they expect it to be returned with a full tank and if it is not then expect to pay over the odds for them to refill it.

I don't know of many or any firms that include a full tank and let you take it back empty and if they do then I would expect the cost of a tank full to be added to every rental.

In my opinion the best deal on petrol is "bring it back with about the same amount of petrol as is in the car when you collect it". YOR/Algarvedriver do this and I've never had a problem with it.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Geoff wrote:
Any chance I get I warn people about their practice.
Which company were they?
Inter Rent!!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Farol wrote:
smudger wrote:A late booking meant couldn't use usual company, when collected hire car I was lied to by 3 different staff members regarding return fuel policy. All 3 said full tank included in rental agreement yet week or so later credit card debited €70 for fuel. Complained to everyone and anyone but nothing done. Any chance I get I warn people about their practice. :x
This sounds like a "Full Tank" policy, i.e. yes when you collect the car you get a full tank of petrol but when you take the car back they expect it to be returned with a full tank and if it is not then expect to pay over the odds for them to refill it.

I don't know of many or any firms that include a full tank and let you take it back empty and if they do then I would expect the cost of a tank full to be added to every rental.

In my opinion the best deal on petrol is "bring it back with about the same amount of petrol as is in the car when you collect it". YOR/Algarvedriver do this and I've never had a problem with it.
I'm aware of full tank return policy.....that's why I asked 3 different staff members why didn't I need to return with full tank. All said the booking I made on line included a full tank, to quote 1 employee, "if you drive into the yard and the engine stops you have done well!!" As I said at beginning of my post, I made a last minute decision to fly over and my regular company, no guesses "Algarvedriver", didn't have a car. Used Algarvedriver 34 times in 7 years and no hassles.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I don't know of many or any firms that include a full tank and let you take it back empty
I think Gold Car used to have this policy, not sure if they do now...it's fine if you are out for a long time, but my son found it difficult to use a whole tank in a long weekend !

Much better full-full.....bringing it back with " the same amount as you took it out " is only OK if the car has a reliable fuel gauge, many don't : you put in 10€ ( say ) to bring it back to the right level, and the gauge doesn't budge!
Ceepeebee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Ceepeebee »

Every budget car rental place we've used since coming to CVO had been useless. Travelrent last year was a perfect example... 90mins to pick up my car..they swapped it for a different one and just printed to another parking lot..idiots.

The 3 times we've used Goldcar it's been flawless. Yes it's more expensive but my time is worth that extra expense imo
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I did get a quote once, but they wanted a premium for dropping the car off before 0830 ( think that was the time), whereas others ( Travelrent) are OK at 0800.
Will try them again this November anyway.

PS I see that InterRent are a subsidiary of Europcar : lot of news about them lately, about rip-offs involving damage ( real/alleged/imagined) to hire cars from them, with agents on commission if they find scratches! No surprise that their Customer Sevices have yet to answer the email I sent them.
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by williew »

Been using Algarve Driver/YOR for 15 years (+) and no real hassle. Any problems sorted as they arise.
Polli62
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Polli62 »

Geoff wrote:
I did get a quote once, but they wanted a premium for dropping the car off before 0830 ( think that was the time), whereas others ( Travelrent) are OK at 0800.
Will try them again this November anyway.

PS I see that InterRent are a subsidiary of Europcar : lot of news about them lately, about rip-offs involving damage ( real/alleged/imagined) to hire cars from them, with agents on commission if they find scratches! No surprise that their Customer Sevices have yet to answer the email I sent them.
Re Europcar they have also taken over GOLDCAR.