The Portuguese language.

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

The Portuguese language.

Post by Bigben »

We are returning to CVO mid April - our 11th visit in 7 years. Keep thinking we will tire of it, but it hasn't happened so far.

As visitors and expats will know, many locals speak very decent English - in the cafes and restaurants anyway.

I can hardly manage more than a couple of words in Portuguese, which is dreadful.

I have come across a wonderful singer who seems to be able to exploit the exotic sounds of the Portuguese language. Simply sensuous, to me, at least. Gisela João.

madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: The Portuguese language.

Post by madaboutangling »

Music sounds good. More upbeat than the Fado music I have heard that always seems rather mournful!
We have felt the same about speaking the local language but not made any effort so far as always on short trips and it seems harder than Spanish and French. Maybe a retirement goal but I am sure many have set that goal!
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

The wife and I did a 12 week beginners course at St Andrews university late last year as we have ambitions to move some day , I found it pretty difficult to be honest but feel I learned enough to get by albeit maybe not 100% accurate .All the more hard when your in class with intelligent Uni students and your late 40s and never studied anything in years lol. The verbs are hellish to learn , not plucked up the courage to enroll for the intermediate course yet .
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Go for it raithstar - I have been learning Portuguese in the UK since 2004 and although it's a tough language, it hugely satisfying when you end up somewhere inland (in the Algarve or elsewhere) where they can't speak English and then can make yourself understood!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Raithstar wrote:The wife and I did a 12 week beginners course at St Andrews university late last year as we have ambitions to move some day , I found it pretty difficult to be honest but feel I learned enough to get by albeit maybe not 100% accurate .All the more hard when your in class with intelligent Uni students and your late 40s and never studied anything in years lol. The verbs are hellish to learn , not plucked up the courage to enroll for the intermediate course yet .
Keep up with the courses!! Worth it in the end.
And ceh, I find I can make myself understood, (spent time learning basic phrases for food, travel and general greetings etc) but I have real problems understanding what's said back to me!!! Always found locals appreciate my attempts at speaking the language and normally will demonstrate correct way to speak. Used CD's when on long car journeys.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

I hope people don't mind this indulgence. I now have the Gisela João CD posted above, and am enjoying. I found one of the tracks on YT with the text, and it's fascinating to compare text and pronunciation - the elision of vowels, and also their apparent absence. I could listen to this for hours.

pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

That's ok! I could learn Portuguese but I don't fancy the guitar bit. :|
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Another voice I have recently come across. Amália Rodrigues. Powerful.

TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

One of our most memorable visits to the Algarve was during the week that Amalia passed away.
The outpouring of grief was immense. Television programmes were non-stop, showing scenes from her life and showcasing her music.
Then came her funeral which was attended by thousands. It matched anything you would see when a state leader is buried.
I have to admit, I had never heard of her before that, but I certainly have now. Not my type of music I'm afraid, but I respect those who are her many fans.