Dilemma

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Dilemma

Post by widge »

So you install CCTV as a security measure and witness your elderly next door neighbours breaking into your garden using a step ladder and apparently poisoning your tree and cutting your shrubs. I confronted them by phone from the UK & they confess and apologise but are unable to give an explanation for their behaviour.

We have had a friendly relationship with them for 14 years & I spoke to them personally when I was in Portugal only 3 days before the incident occurred and everything seemed fine.

Forgive & forget - make a point of forgiving them, put it behind you and move on ?

or

Sever all relations - accept that you will probably never speak with your neighbour again & all the stress & difficulty that may ensue ?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Dilemma

Post by maccasa »

I always found that sending my 3 grandchildren to my house on a 5 week hol in the summer usually worked - oh, alongwith a ghetto blaster! They usually moved out by the second visit!
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

That's awful , I would tell them I was considering reporting them to the police if even just to put the frightners on them . Then I would be keeping my distance if it were me .
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

I really could not tolerate such sneaky people!
How awful for people you thought you could trust reward you in this way, they would no doubt be pointing the finger elsewhere if you had not seen them.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Minimal conversation (bom dia/boa tarde) to be polite but nothing further.
Do they have a dog? Quietly feed it laxative chocolate!
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

smudger wrote:Minimal conversation (bom dia/boa tarde) to be polite but nothing further.
No way why should a poor dog suffer!
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Not easy - a personal conversation is the starting point before 'burning the 14 year bridge' - regardless of how you feel now.

Undoubtedly your neighbours are mortified and sometimes fighting 'fire' with 'understanding' might make you feel better and turn an unpleasant situation to your advantage. The alternative is potentially an awkward 14 years (or so) with 'the neighbour from hell' unless one of you moves.

I hope you get a beneficial outcome - without any further unpleasantness :)
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

The problem is that whatever you do you know you will never be able to trust them again.

If you previously liked them then if you can bring yourself to discuss it calmly with them face to face on your next visit then that might help. You say they are elderly and that could partly explain their action. It could be that they felt your trees/shrubs intruded on their property in some way but that they didn't have the courage to mention it to you so they might have thought some secret pruning would be a solution to thier problem and they didn't think it through enough. However there could be many explanations including some very disturbing reasons.

A damn good telling off might be all that is required if they show remorse.

If they show no remorse then getting the police involved might be a consideration.

Tricky whatever you do but you can't just let it go.
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Hey, commiserations Peter, that sounds a horrible scenario. Think you have to talk face to face with them to try and suss out why they did this before deciding on your long term course of action. But I agree, it would be difficult to ever trust them again and that creates an unpleasant atmosphere whatever happens.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

OMG! Think they are mentally unstable. :evil: :evil: We will come and poison their plants under the cover of darkness for a vodka and OJ. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

bruce wrote:
smudger wrote:Minimal conversation (bom dia/boa tarde) to be polite but nothing further.
Depends on what you mean by 'suffer'.....to some may be opportunity to cleanse the dog's internals.
The use of such chocolate was commonly used by enforcement agencies before entering premises that had guard dogs.........dogs too 'busy' to bother anyone! :)
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

smudger wrote:
bruce wrote:
Depends on what you mean by 'suffer'.....to some may be opportunity to cleanse the dog's internals.
The use of such chocolate was commonly used by enforcement agencies before entering premises that had guard dogs.........dogs too 'busy' to bother anyone! :)
Difficult to put in the poop bag though. 8)
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

Better "Jaw jaw" than "War war". Have a face to face, honest talk-out with them and you will get the best resolution.
Lowthian
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Lowthian »

It sounds like a case of jealousy to me Peter. Ask them if they will foot the bill for a gardener to replace the damaged items. Then let them decide if want to be civil & try to make amends, or live in shame.
I wonder if they read the forums!