ADM DRAINS?

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

ADM DRAINS?

Post by pato »

Anyone had a bill yet for work carried out on the new drainage system? I've been alerted. :(
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: ADM DRAINS?

Post by DVBRO »

Nope, but could be a lot of Money.
Is one obligated to connect to the system, when it's all finished?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Connection ? Only if non-portuguese :lol:
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Well! now for the bad news, It appears the owner pays for the necessary work on their property to connect to the nearest council mains, in my case the cost is 3,500 euros then I'll have to pay for the council's work to connect so I'm guessing at overall a bill for 5,000 euros and that applies to everyone on the estate dependant of course on the length of run on their property, unfortunately I have a very long drive which is, what do they call it, Caldaz or something, so that has to be lifted and replaced, some residents may not manage to fund the improvements so how they'll pay I hate to think. :(
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

DVBRO wrote:Nope, but could be a lot of Money.
Is one obligated to connect to the system, when it's all finished?
Yes1 unfortunately. :(
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Please read my earlier mail - at least half the houses on our estate are still not connected after 7 years.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

roy4eyes wrote:Please read my earlier mail - at least half the houses on our estate are still not connected after 7 years.
Roy are you on the ADM?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

No. Boa Vista. We had the same performance in 2010 with drains as you are now having.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

you must resist by any and all means, if your connection will not be gravity fed to the main drains

otherwise you are looking at installing a sluice pump system - which is a complete disaster and will break down and will cost a fortune to replace, every time it does..
and that is all on top of the bill to carry out the works. which is a rip off.. as the council should cover all these costs...

I was quoted €7500!!! to get this system installed due to the location of my villa and where they had (wrongly) placed the new drain connection point.
they installed my connection point in completely the wrong place.

on top of that, the pumps if used on a daily basis, are normally ok for a few years - BUT if they are left stood for any lengthy period of time, at best the seals fail, or the level probe packs in, at worst they seize - which is a pump out job and either replace or repair and you cannot use your system/toilets whist you wait, as the tank has to be drained.

for example, if it is a 2nd home and you leave it for 3 months and you come back to a seized pump, it is €1500 to get it replaced..

I questioned the lawyer that wrote to me about "I must connect to the system" - I told him they had installed the connection point in the wrong place, as it is above my villa on the hill, instead of below along side the my septic tank - he would not comment on this issue

then I asked who would be paying for this pump system, every time it broke down or the system in general did not work as should do, and who pays for the regular maintenance they require... he said "you will Mr C" - I said, "absolutely 100% I will not be, as I will not be paying for this work in the first place". - he said "you have to Mr C". I said "I would take the council to court, before being forced to do something that is not legal or practical and costs a fortune and makes my life a total misery.. due to someone else's complete incompetence

I have been in this deadlock with them now for 7 years -

septic tanks/sespits are still 100% perfectly legal and are by far the best way to treat your waste, if you are not gravity fed.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

njc0607 wrote:you must resist by any and all means, if your connection will not be gravity fed to the main drains

otherwise you are looking at installing a sluice pump system - which is a complete disaster and will break down and will cost a fortune to replace, every time it does..
and that is all on top of the bill to carry out the works. which is a rip off.. as the council should cover all these costs...

I was quoted €7500!!! to get this system installed due to the location of my villa and where they had (wrongly) placed the new drain connection point.
they installed my connection point in completely the wrong place.

on top of that, the pumps if used on a daily basis, are normally ok for a few years - BUT if they are left stood for any lengthy period of time, at best the seals fail, or the level probe packs in, at worst they seize - which is a pump out job and either replace or repair and you cannot use your system/toilets whist you wait, as the tank has to be drained.

for example, if it is a 2nd home and you leave it for 3 months and you come back to a seized pump, it is €1500 to get it replaced..

I questioned the lawyer that wrote to me about "I must connect to the system" - I told him they had installed the connection point in the wrong place, as it is above my villa on the hill, instead of below along side the my septic tank - he would not comment on this issue

then I asked who would be paying for this pump system, every time it broke down or the system in general did not work as should do, and who pays for the regular maintenance they require... he said "you will Mr C" - I said, "absolutely 100% I will not be, as I will not be paying for this work in the first place". - he said "you have to Mr C". I said "I would take the council to court, before being forced to do something that is not legal or practical and costs a fortune and makes my life a total misery.. due to someone else's complete incompetence

I have been in this deadlock with them now for 7 years -

septic tanks/sespits are still 100% perfectly legal and are by far the best way to treat your waste, if you are not gravity fed.
Very interesting I'll keep you informed of the situation and maybe you could advise me on my future decisions.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

As promised I'll give you the latest info.................Nothing has been reported, the tumbleweed is blowing across ADM. :|
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

pato wrote:As promised I'll give you the latest info.................Nothing has been reported, the tumbleweed is blowing across ADM. :|
Plus the water has been lost at least four times.
Why on earth did they not lay Fiber Optic cable, for Internet, at the same time. Can not understand the business opportunity, lost!!
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Had a quote today for connection to main system 2,900 euros + IVA, and maybe more. Can I refuse to be connected, no-one asked me if I wanted to have drains. 8)
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mug »

After completion of all the council work for the sewerage on ADM we have received our demand from the camara to repay their costs in putting a connection point in our gateway.
It is €868.38. We have no idea how this charge has been calculated. Ý5 They are demanding payment within 30 days and for us to connect from our septic to this at our (great) expense as well.
May I ask what camara charges other owners on ADM have received and what they plan to do?
Matryx
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Matryx »

Can anyone update me on the latest situation on the drains at ADM? We have had our bill from the council for our contribution to the work, which we have paid. As we do not have a septic tank, I thought we were ok, but I have been advised that we have a sespit, and that we will have to pay to have a drain put in on our land, to connect to the main drain. Our house is elevated, so the drain will be gravity fed. Is this absolutely necessary, who do we get to do it and how much will it cost? What has everyone else done?