grilled pulpo/octopus/lulas

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

grilled pulpo/octopus/lulas

Post by heini »

:D Hi, now that I know how to make migas I wonder if anyone can tell me how those pulpo "arms" are being prepared. You see men selling them from their tiny charcoal grills at fairs, gypsy markets, carnival etc. They are a bit chewy but taste terrific (to me at least) and even though they are quite expensive I always follow my nose to find the seller. Peter B., perhaps the wife of your friend can oblige again, or Gambrinus could you possibly ask in the Portuguese forum? It's grilling season here in Canada (even a bit warmer than in Carvoeiro) and it would be nice to have a taste of Portugal.
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

"Pulpo"

Post by biffa »

Heini

That ain't pulpo, that is Polvo - octopus tentacles. First they wash and clean the octopus, then they stretch it out on a wood frame and let it dry in the sun. Then they grill it. Its pungemt aroma is either ghastly or great depending on your own particular nasal smell buds. When it is sliced into fine roundels it makes just a great aperitif with a beer. Better than peanuts any day!
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

:D Thanks very much Biffa, I knew I'd get the name wrong. But I'll get my husband to try it out, (not sure whether the sun-drying will work). I will let you know about success or failure.
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

It is also salted and the whole polvo is used the "legs" usually a little more expensive!!! Ever tried arroz do polvo?mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

:D Got my husband to grill polvo today, it was great. We didn't hang it out on the clotheline to dry, just pre-cooked it, took the skin off, then salted it and put it on th BBQ. 99% like the real thing. On the other hand the more we are able to reproduce our favourite Portuguese "eats" at home the less reason we'll have to come back. Oh no!!!