Jardin do Farol

pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Jardin do Farol

Post by pato »

Went last night, not impressed, service ok! apart from one waiter breaking plates and glasses, I'll give it a miss for a while. :|
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Jardin do Farol

Post by jeremy »

Dave - I agree - also the prices seemed a lot higher than previous visits - Pity as it used to be one of our favourites :(

cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

my daughter and friend were there in June , one had steak and the other Prawns both well overcooked , when they complained they were ignored so paid for what they had and left , it's a shame because it has always been one of our favorites
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

I've heard that it has gone downhill since Carlos's second wife took the reigns - this from an ex waiter who now works at O Stop. Certainly the last two times I was there
the ambience was subdued. Pricing has been an issue for a couple of years..(btw - I think it's Jardim..)
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

We've never had a bad meal there in 14 years, and it's always been one of our favourites. I shall be very disappointed if it has indeed gone downhill. We'll still give it a try when we are out in October.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Likewise my first meal was around 2002 and Carlos went out of his way to provide me and my son with an excellent Sardine meal when we turned up "on spec" mid afternoon. Subsequently we have visited several times per year, but even allowing for fresh Dorade it just seems to have got more expensive (not the primary issue) and more recently lost it's "edge" in ambience...
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

Is Carlos the owner or the son ?
redford
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by redford »

Visited last week, no changes, very busy and as good as always so don't be put off by the comments!
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

redford wrote:Visited last week, no changes, very busy and as good as always so don't be put off by the comments!
glad to hear a good report just hope it was only a blip at the height of the season
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

Had our meal there tonight and delighted to report that both the food and the service were as good as ever, and not expensive. The restaurant was full but the service did not suffer as consequence. I still cannot understand the previous adverse comments, and I wonder whether there was some confusion between Jardim do Farol and the O Farol.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

Mike Banks wrote:Had our meal there tonight and delighted to report that both the food and the service were as good as ever, and not expensive. The restaurant was full but the service did not suffer as consequence. I still cannot understand the previous adverse comments, and I wonder whether there was some confusion between Jardim do Farol and the O Farol.
No confusion on my daughter 's part Mike , we as a family have been going to Jardim do Farol for nearly 20 years and she couldn't believe how offhand they were when she complained
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

Fair enough. Just a thought. We certainly had no complaints and we'll be going back there in few days. What I found a bit confusing about some of the comments was the reference to Carlos's second wife and a waiter who had left. All the staff in attendance yesterday were the people we have become familiar with over many years, just as you have.
redford
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by redford »

Mike Banks wrote:Fair enough. Just a thought. We certainly had no complaints and we'll be going back there in few days. What I found a bit confusing about some of the comments was the reference to Carlos's second wife and a waiter who had left. All the staff in attendance yesterday were the people we have become familiar with over many years, just as you have.
Agree, those comments just didn't ring true with me either and led me to think that Jardim was being confused with another restuarant?? Nothing has changed, we have been going there for many years and return every holiday, one of our favourites. Haven't noticed any major price increases, the price of the fresh fish is the same as it has been for years! Very busy this year with good atmosphere as always.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Glad all seems well. I'm pretty sure that Francisco's fish offerings were in the €14 range a couple of years ago and are now typically €16 (or £18 at Cardiff airport rates!). The brothers /sister (as I understand) running front of house haven't changed and perhaps things have settled down out back. I'll have to check in November!
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

We went this week and had a great meal. Warm enough just to eat outside. Usual friendly staff. Had the great lamb chops and creme caramel and reasonable house red. Will return.