Via Italia

zhit
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Via Italia

Post by zhit »

It seems that the restaurant is now closed for good.

We have been to Carvoeiro at the end of September and there was a notice in the window, that the restaurant is closed 'for an indefinite time and due to technical reasons'. But on the website of Palm properties it says that the owner has retired - and now you can buy "Via Italia" for about 800T €. :shock:

Does anybody know what has happened to the owner? Closing a restaurant in the high saison just to retire seems strange to me...
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Via Italia

Post by Bruce Wallis »

If that's the Italuan restaurant above the taxi rank, then it's a shame he lasted so long. The food was awful. We went twice. First time was bad but we gave it a second chance because of the view.
The second visit, the food was so disgusting we got up and walked out.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Couldn't agree more. A fantastic situation so let's hope we get a decent restaurateur taking over.
Jive
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Jive »

We are regular visitors to Carvoeiro and one of the highlights of our holidays have been visits to Via Italia. We ate there 5 times during our fornight's holiday in June. We have always found the quality of both food and service excellent and often tried things that we would not normally have chosen including octopus on what has turned out to be our last meal there. We were saddened to find the restaurant closed in September and had hoped it was only a temporary closure. We wish Gaetano, Jaoa and all the staff at Via Italia all the very best for the future. We will certainly miss it and we're sure that many others will too. Ciao Via Italia.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Jive wrote:We are regular visitors to Carvoeiro and one of the highlights of our holidays have been visits to Via Italia. We ate there 5 times during our fornight's holiday in June. We have always found the quality of both food and service excellent and often tried things that we would not normally have chosen including octopus on what has turned out to be our last meal there. We were saddened to find the restaurant closed in September and had hoped it was only a temporary closure. We wish Gaetano, Jaoa and all the staff at Via Italia all the very best for the future. We will certainly miss it and we're sure that many others will too. Ciao Via Italia.
There's always one! :D
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Must be two - we have never had a bad meal at Via Italia and the staff have always been pleasant and helpful.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Bruce Wallis wrote:
Jive wrote:We are regular visitors to Carvoeiro and one of the highlights of our holidays have been visits to Via Italia. We ate there 5 times during our fornight's holiday in June. We have always found the quality of both food and service excellent and often tried things that we would not normally have chosen including octopus on what has turned out to be our last meal there. We were saddened to find the restaurant closed in September and had hoped it was only a temporary closure. We wish Gaetano, Jaoa and all the staff at Via Italia all the very best for the future. We will certainly miss it and we're sure that many others will too. Ciao Via Italia.
There's always one! :D
Their first & only post too, perhaps if they had posted a few more positive reviews Via Italia may have thrived?
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

[quote][quote]Their first & only post too, perhaps if they had posted a few more positive reviews Via Italia may have thrived?[/quote][/quote]

The person who made the post you object to is on the forum. Wouldn't it be nice to address your comment to them instead of sniping in the third person? Your post comes over as patronising and playing to the gallery of regulars, although you're not the only one guilty of that. And do you really think an earlier positive review from the poster would have made any difference in the scheme of things for Via Italia?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Bruce Wallis wrote:If that's the Italuan restaurant above the taxi rank, then it's a shame he lasted so long. The food was awful. We went twice. First time was bad but we gave it a second chance because of the view.
The second visit, the food was so disgusting we got up and walked out.
Maybe they were trying to tell you something Bruce., your fame as a Cvo gourmet must be spreading. :lol:
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

The person who made the post you object to is on the forum. Wouldn't it be nice to address your comment to them instead of sniping in the third person? Your post comes over as patronising and playing to the gallery of regulars, although you're not the only one guilty of that. And do you really think an earlier positive review from the poster would have made any difference in the scheme of things for Via Italia?
I don't object to the post.
I addressed my comment to the forum (that's how it works).
Nothing in my comment is written in the third person.
The "gallery of regulars" are the people who contribute most to this forum.
No I don't think positive reviews would have saved Via Italia, only better food & service could have achieved that.

Is "Jive" a friend or relative ? There was no intention on my part to "come over as patronising" if you find my post offensive I apologise.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

bruce wrote:Must be two - we have never had a bad meal at Via Italia and the staff have always been pleasant and helpful.
I see your two & raise you three :)

we enjoyed many meals in there, always found Gaetano & the staff helpful & welcoming, and his food was fab in our opinion.

I didn't look just now but I remember on the old review thread that it was Marmite, people loved it or hated it, I got the feeling that the thumbs down outweighed the thumbs up but hey ho.

I remember in it's very early days there was a blonde lady there who ran it in partnership, it was fun to sit near the serving hatch and hear them screaming at eachother, a proper Italian feel to the place :lol: :lol:
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

sunman wrote:
bruce wrote:Must be two - we have never had a bad meal at Via Italia and the staff have always been pleasant and helpful.
I see your two & raise you three :)

we enjoyed many meals in there, always found Gaetano & the staff helpful & welcoming, and his food was fab in our opinion.

I didn't look just now but I remember on the old review thread that it was Marmite, people loved it or hated it, I got the feeling that the thumbs down outweighed the thumbs up but hey ho.

I remember in it's very early days there was a blonde lady there who ran it in partnership, it was fun to sit near the serving hatch and hear them screaming at eachother, a proper Italian feel to the place :lol: :lol:
''ve been going to Cvo for30 odd years and my first visit to Via Italia was my last, can't remember why, but it must have put me and my wife off and we're not that fussy. :(
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

See Vila Italia is open again. Hope it's new owners and a new chef
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

Hope so.
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

I will give them a second shot…the first was complete garbage…having said that it was 20 years ago! There is that many good places that sometimes you just don't go back do you?