Walk (No. 134):Monday 7 November2016:Montes de Cima CLOSED

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Walk (No. 134):Monday 7 November2016:Montes de Cima CLOSED

Post by Geoff »

This walk is now CLOSED as we have enough people

This is a new(ish) variant on a new walk... an added hill with beautiful views.....whilst I thought the original walk was a Grade 2 Difficulty and Bruce thought it was a 3, this is definitely a grade 3.

When we did the walk last, in May, parts ( about 200m) were a bit overgrown , so perhaps shorts are not advised!

Probably about 2 hours 30mins, mainly flat(tish) but with a steep climb at the start and a couple of moderate slopes later.

Degree of Difficulty ( scale 1:5) : 3 Energetic

Start : 10.00am

Directions: From Lagoa, turn left on the N125 and go past the turn-off for Alvor. After a few hundred yards, there is a BP station on your right and a road signposted " Senhora do Verde, Vidigal, Casais, Alcalar, Torre" : turn right here. IF you go past the Hotal Penina on your left, you have gone too far
Go up this road ( M532). After going through a single lane tunnel and after about another 1/4 mile, make sure you follow the road bending left signed Alcalar ; do NOT go straight on.
You should then soon be crossing the motorway. Carry on, passing A Taberna Nicola cafe on your right, and Cafe Andre a bit later on your left. Carry on past O Tasco, on the left. Just past O Tasco, bear left and follow the Monchique sign. About 5 minutes after O Tasco, you will see a building on the right that used to be a cafe : this is what it looks like:

https://www.google.pt/maps/@37.2351416, ... 6656?hl=en

Turn left here ( signposted Montes de Cima, Marmalete, Casais ) and drive on for about 3kms till you get to Montes de Cima. Follow the road round to the right to the cafe Taberna da Manel ; park opposite, or a bit further up the road.Please do not park just outside the cafe.

GPS : 37.241448, -8.611435

Alternatively : wait just past the turn off on the N125 at 0920, just before the winery, and follow us!

Usual caveats: all walks are at your own risk, and we do not walk if it is pouring with rain.....I will endeavour to put any cancellation note on this site by 0830 on the day of the walk.

Walking boots/stout trainers , walking pole(s), hats and water recommended. No charge, of course.

The cafe has a good range of sandwiches/tostas etc and sells honey in jars of all shapes and sizes.

Depending upon numbers, we can have lunch ( optional) at Amadeus Gardens a few miles back down the road.. 3 courses for 16€ the last time we went.... (Solar do Farelo and O Tasco are closed on a Monday).

Please advise if:
(a) you are intending to come
(b) whether you will want to meet us at the N125 turn-off
(c) whether you want lunch...as it's helpful to book.
As these walks were quite popular , we may have to limit numbers to about 20 , so it is important to say if you intend to come.

Any questions , please ask below or PM me or ring 282 380015 preferably between 0800-0900 or 1800-1900 ( but not before 30 October).

PS....Amadeus Gardens is now permanently closed, so we are going to O Tasco...see post below
Buddypair
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Walk ( No. 134) :Monday 7 November 2016: Montes de Cima

Post by Buddypair »

Yes Please for Helen & Nigel :D
Linda and Russell
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Linda and Russell »

Yes x 2 Linda and Russell.
We will meet you at the Taberna. Please book 2 x for lunch. Another favourite restaurant - you do spoil us!!!
sue2215
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sue2215 »

Yes please 2 x Sue & Steve, will meet at the taberna and would also like lunch.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Yes please 2 x Sue & Steve,
Hi Sue & Steve....I don't think w've met ( my memory is not so good these days!) so look forward to seeing you for your first CVO Walk?
Mary Perry
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Mary Perry »

Yes please, Geoff. Will meet you at the turnoff, but won't stay for lunch. Looking forward to it.
Mary & Paddy
sue2215
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sue2215 »

Hello Geoff

This will be our first Carvoeiro walk; look forward to meeting you.

Sue & Steve
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Hi Geoff. Sue and I would like to join you on this walk. Assume we will see you there and will not stay for lunch. If we change our minds I will post nearer the time.
Gillianjack1961
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Gillianjack1961 »

Hi
Count us in !
Gill Jim
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by williew »

Geoff, please book Carol & I in for this.

Willie W
WendyFisher
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by WendyFisher »

Please could I book on for this walk and if pos the rest of November. Please could I possibly ask for a lift if anyone is passing Monte Dourado and would like to stay for lunch too!

Returning to Portugal either on the 6th all being well.

See you all soon.

Wendy
AnnieT
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by AnnieT »

Ray and Annie would like to walk with you too! And go for lunch after. Would like to meet just off N125 please.
Many thanks - Annie
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk (No. 134):Monday 7November2016:Montes de Cima CLOSE

Post by Geoff »

Would like to meet just off N125 please.
OK,,,that's Mary & Paddy and Ray & Annie.....safest meeting point is about 200m after you turn off the N125, just before a left hand bend & just before the winery....aim to meet you there at 0920.

Walk is now closed
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk (No. 134):Monday 7 November2016:Montes de Cima CLOS

Post by Geoff »

Hi all

I have just heard that, unfortunately, Amadeus Gardens is now permanently closed!

Fortunately, O Tasco is now open on a Monday and we are booked to go there...prata de dia about 13€ if I recall.

I assume that all those who opted for lunch are still wanting to go : if not, please advise.

Geoff
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk (No. 134):Monday 7 November2016:Montes de Cima CLOS

Post by Geoff »

A lovely sunny day, albeit with a chill wind. The auguries weren't good with a closed Amadeus gardens, so I suppose it shouldn't have been a surprise that the cafe was shut....as it always is on a monday...mea culpa, I had forgotten to check! To add to the initial woes, Willie reported in with a gammy knee and there was no sign of newcomers Sue & Steve for the group photo, but we were 18 in total once they arrived :

This was a part of the world badly hit by the fires in September:

But fortunately, a number of areas were re-generating already:

As was quite a bit of grass and bracken.....perhaps, by next spring, it will be quite green again?

Anyway, a good envigorating walk, 2h 35 mins and definitely a grade 3!

The O Tasco no longer does a prata de dio, but they did do some great prawns for Wendy:

A wonderfully tasty Wild Boar ( Javelin) Casserole and, so I am told, an equally good turkey strogonoff, dorado and even a chicken p-p.

14 of us had a very good meal there, cheers!