Pronounciation

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Ceepeebee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Pronounciation

Post by Ceepeebee »

Hi all,

When we were looking around and deciding whether we should come back again for a 4th consecutive year, we visited a travel agency just to see what else was available. This is where we heard Carvoeiro pronounced differently to how we'd heard it before, so it begs the question - how is it pronounced?

We'd always seen it as "Car-vo-ear-o", however this individual pronounced it "Cav-aero"
e-richard

Re: Pronounciation

Post by e-richard »

Best is to listen to a local. You are closer than your travel agent and there are at least 4 syllables.

I think Car voh whey rrro but run the syllables into one another quite smoothly (i.e. without gaps).
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

I think there are probably acceptable variations, just as there are with many uk place names, but we were told several years ago that it was "Carve-where-oo" and we have certainly heard locals pronounce it very much like that.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

My Portuguese teachers' mother lived up the road. I think Carv oy ee iro was formal pronunciation, where every vowel is used, but run together Carv yeroo generally spoken.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

e-richard wrote:Best is to listen to a local. You are closer than your travel agent and there are at least 4 syllables.

I think Car voh whey rrro but run the syllables into one another quite smoothly (i.e. without gaps).

How do you pronounce 3 r's ? Is it like a drum roll ? :wink: :lol:
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Have a look at the following youtube video from Beto Kalulu : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOmKwZI7HI - it's pretty much the definitive guide to pronunciation of Carvoeiro 8)