Wolf

pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Wolf

Post by pickwick »

Hi all

I think there is some doubt here about motive, "methinks thou dost protest too much" Charles. I have read many of the reviews of The Wolf this afternoon on Trip Advisor and almost all give 4 or 5 stars except yours which rates it 1 star. This does seem so far out of line with the crowd (as does your post on CVO.com) that it is no wonder you are being likened to an internet "troll". Furthermore you joined Trip Adviser just to make this post about The Wolf which seems extreme?

I do not think you can accuse Toots as having a rant really as Toots does say you can properly post your opinion about the food but it is YOU Charles who made it personal by calling the staff appalling and I for one think Toots is correct - you should apologise to them.

You cannot in all honesty complain about Toots asking for an apology on behalf of the staff particularly as the majority of posters on CVO and Trip Adviser actually praise the staff (who are a nice bunch by the way). Maybe you rubbed them up the wrong way - you seem to have that effect here too!!??!!??

If you look at the reviews of your precious Fim do Mundo they are mixed too with the 3rd one down rating it as "terrible" but there was no personal attack of the staff. That is where you have gone wrong Charles - surely you can see that. If you don't like it then don't go back - it is not as if you will be missed, but leave the staff attacks out of it.

Pickwick

PS Bruce - No one is saying on here that Charles should not have an opinion - he is the one who called the staff appalling - thus, the question is "who is being rude"?
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

over the many years I've been coming to Carvoeiro & on here I've had many nice meals at Via Italia & say so on here when I do; and from reading other reviews you'd think I own shares in it or work there because there's a whole wall of people saying bad things about it;
but that doesn't stop me going, & enjoying; opinions & experiences are personal and if somebody says (and they once did) that they were served the worst meal of their lives there, so what?

Mrs Sunman & I travel a lot, & use Tripadvisor a lot, & we pay most attention to senior reviewers, the site is littered with '1 review' people who only sign up to slate an attraction, hotel or restaurant, often they work in the place round the corner.

I see on Wolf's reviews there they have 204 excellent votes, 92 very goods & only 7 terribles; 296 vs 7? and the most recent 'terrible' from a person with 1 review; the review two places below has 5 stars from a person with 208 reviews & 143 helpful votes.

so I know who I, and most people would listen to.

Chas went in, had a bad experience, said so, and now says he's never going back.
I suspect Wolf will miss him just as much as he'll miss them.
& it looks to me like it's Chas's loss, 296 people can't be wrong.
medium rare next time for the Mrs & me please 8)
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DaveK »

The replies on this thread has really put me off this restaurant. Never been there and now do not intend to. Sorry.
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Dave K

Why? Give it a try and make your own mind up. You never know you might love it and if not what have you lost?

PIckwick
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

DaveK wrote:The replies on this thread has really put me off this restaurant. Never been there and now do not intend to. Sorry.
Quite agree Dave.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

what is the point of having a restaurant review site if people are not allowed to say what they feel about a place , no wonder it is getting called " The Dark Side " it makes you frightened to post in case you get your head bitten off , I have not tried the Wolf and certainly won't be now
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Cumbria Sue

Why on Earth would comments on the CVO Forum put you off trying a restaurant, especially when most agree it is excellent? As Sunman posted below "the reviews on Trip Adviser are 204 excellent, 92 very good and only 7 terrible".

Try it - you have nothing to lose. We are going to try Fim do Mundo out of interest as a few people have said it is very good so we will be able to make up our own minds!

I think it is important to come to your own balanced opinion particularly since the inflammatory post was posted by an individual who then went on to join Trip Adviser specifically to denounce the Wolf against a tsunami of approval. Very fishy indeed.(particularly in a steak restaurant :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:)

I think it is only a matter of time before CVO.com dies. There are only a handful of posts re. most individual restaurants v hundreds on Trip Adviser and only 17 posts this year in the entire restaurant section on 3 other restaurants excluding the Wolf!

Pickwick
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

cumbria sue wrote:what is the point of having a restaurant review site if people are not allowed to say what they feel about a place
I agree entirely. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I won't be going to Wolf because
a. It's relatively expensive
b. I'm not a huge fan of red meat in general, and steak in particular
c. There's no shortage of alternative places to eat.

There is another restaurant in the centre of Carvoeiro which gets good reviews from many of the contributors on this forum, but when I went there several years ago I found the food to be average, the service very slow, and the restaurant was overcrowded. I have never been back. There are enough restaurants that we DO like, that we don't have to risk going elsewhere and paying good money for a bad experience.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

hear hear.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

I think this topic has run its course now - for the most part we'll have to agree to differ.

I, for one will be going back to The Wolf and might even try Fim do Mundo (wherever it is) :D
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

It's all a load of bull anyway :roll:
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

roy4eyes wrote:It's all a load of bull anyway :roll:
:lol: :lol:
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I can't see that Chas H has done anything wrong.

He has posted his experience both on this site and Tripadvisor. There is nothing libelous in it - he had a bad experience and has reported it as he sees it. He hasn't named the staff so who can say whether or not they are the same as others know.

People reading this site and Tripadvisor should always look at the bigger picture and most will dismiss the odd bad review if the majority have been good.

However, it's like firms that claim 99% customer satisfaction - if you are the 1% on the receiving end of a problem then you don't care a damn about the other 99% - it's your experience that's important to you, and sorting the problem out afterwards doesn't necessarily make it better. Get it right the first time is the rule.

It will be interesting to read Wolf's Tripadvisor reply.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Completely agree Farol

As Cumbria Sue stated in an earlier post, less people are commenting on this forum as there are a few members who can make it very uncomfortable if you do not agree with them
I have visited Wolf once, the food was ok, the service non-existant and we were over charged. Therefore Im obviously not a fan, especially when its the type of restaurant I can visit in the UK whenever I wish as they are on the high street. However thats my opinion and I prefer to try to eat Portuguese style when in CVO and even try to avoid the likes of Primavera and Villa Medici, although Primivera is one of my favourite restaurants.

Tin hat on now!!
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

All

Last night The Wolf only had 1 table for 4 free at 21.00. They must be doing something right as few restaurants in the Algarve, never mind Carvoeiro, are almost full on a damp Friday night in January!

Pickwick

PS And I am glad to report that I did not hear anyone complaining or asking for free meals because of "issues" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: