Wolf

tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Wolf

Post by tricky »

Went to the wolf steak restaurant last night for the 2nd time since it's opening. Atmosphere was great,very buzzy, but more like being in a city centre restaurant in the uk than Carvoeiro. So not for the purists .food is very good, decent selection of veggies for a change, mushrooms, spinach, carrots etcetera. All cooked to perfection and great dauphinoise potatoes. Steaks vary in price from 18 euros to around 28. Unless you blow the bank and have the wagu or speciality steak. They even have t bone. All the sides are extra. And obviously this pushes the bill right up before you know it. Wine list very good too as is house wine

1 rib starter
2 coverts
1 sirloin and one rib eye
Chips, dauphinoise potatoes.spinach and mushrooms. (Small veg portions)
Bottle of wine.
E99 for two

It is special and was full by 9pm, turning people away. I hope it keeps busy because it will be a nice place to go in winter
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Wolf

Post by pickwick »

Hi

They have added Picanha to the menu at 15€. Fantastic value and three strips of sirloin perfectly grilled on the Josper. Chico, the grill chef, knows what he is doing and grills to perfection. At 15€ it is cheaper than the "Steak Portuguesa" at most of the restaurants on the "hill" and so much better!!! Slick surroundings, great staff and great food. What more could you want. The best restaurant in CVO by a country mile!!

Pickwick

http://www.thewolfbarandgrill.com/
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

We had what has been the best New Year's Eve we've had in many years.

There was a full house - the food, the service, the entertainment and the company was magnificent. A good time was had by all :D :D
charles hewitt
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by charles hewitt »

Disastrous Sunday brunch. appalling staff and no management. Forgot a meal! cold rosti & veg. Will not be going back. If you want a top class steak and good service, try Fim Do Mundo.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Agree without a doubt, best steak ever , fin do mondo
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Hi Charles

Did you ask for a manager? Fabio, Mike or Chico are senior staff and there is always one of them there? As for appalling staff I have got to know them all over the years and could not agree less with you! They are all nice people.

I still stand by my experience that usually The Wolf delivers on quality and service. The duck breast, the lamb chops and the choice of three different types of steak (Argentina & Black Angus always on and usually a special of Wagu, Alentejo or Spanish) are usually in a different league to what is on offer locally. I have said it before and will again The Wolf can hold its head up against the like of Gaucho in London, Block House Friedrichstrasse in Berlin, Kyloe in Edinburgh and Keens Steakhouse in New York. I have tried them all more than once and £ for £ the Wolf wins. I am somewhat of a regular and I am not saying that they never slip up (I have had issues) but when they do make a mistake I have seen it rectified with my own eyes and seen it done well with grace and professionalism. The Wolf is one of the few establishments in the Algarve that you do not have to sit in with your coat on in the winter!!

It is not cheap but when you do a comparison with Gaucho in London two steaks (the same cut) some side plates, a bottle of the same wine from the wine list (Quinta do Portal) and two coffees you will pay half in the Wolf what you pay in Gaucho!

See the previous comments by Shannagary (who is hard to please) and Tricky. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but even in winter the Wolf is busy and I see many repeat customers................

Pickwick
charles hewitt
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by charles hewitt »

Hi Pickwick,
In answer to your question; yes we did ask for a manager.
To your statement; yes everyone is entitled to their opinion.
We are experienced diners, travel extensively, enjoying fine dining at many different restaurants and we stand by our findings and opinions.
Best wishes,
Chas.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

We have been regular Carvoeirians for 30 years (even living there for 4 of those) and must have eaten at most restaurants at one time or another. There are some we would not go anywhere near and others we favoured at various times - and patronised them regularly. These days I can count very few that we would go back to time and again - The Wolf is one of those. No need to repeat all that Pickwick has accurately described - but it certainly is a class above the rest.

Chas - its clear to see you have had a bad experience - but why not use it to your advantage. Go back to the owner and tell him of your experience and give him the chance to put it right. If he refuses - then tell us all and we will make our minds up. I've met the owner and I'm confident he will take your complaint to heart and deal with it - I believe that's the sort of person he is.

Our experience of dining there has has always been excellent - in fact it's probably been too good. In the past we have frequented (but don't now) Vila Medici, Julios,, BonBon, L'Orange and O Patio but these days prefer Primavera, Maximes, Villa Nova and The Wolf (in no particular order) because they do the job right. I'm sure they all have 'off days' - but experience has taught us to tell them and give them the chance to put it right. Good restaurateurs always do - try it :D
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Well Chas

You must feel very strongly to have joined Trip Advisor specially just to review The Wolf (see link below to new one and only post). It is interesting that all the reviews below yours are very positive!! I sense an ulterior motive here and based on Trip Advisor you seem to be in a club of one!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... garve.html
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

I can never understand why people want to shout/rant about their poor experiences without first trying to get a good result.

Chas - just think how much better this would have read if you could report the detail of your poor experience that was then followed followed by a discussion with the owner/proprietor that was resolved to your satisfaction - with details of the concession/result you achieved. Wouldn't that have been better than a negative rant and you would have felt better as a result?

Instead you have demonstrated your inability/weakness to address the matter constructively, face-to-face with the person who could have influenced events rather than hiding behind your keyboard - and bash out this vindictive diatribe.

You need to get out more :roll:
Toots
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Toots »

Hello

Well said Shannagary and Pickwick. I cannot understand why someone would be so vindictive and have a go at the food and the staff - in my book that is not right. I have eaten there several times and the staff are lovely - Lisa, Mike, Joao and others whose names I cannot remember do not deserve to be called appalling. I think you can say what you want about the food but personal attacks are not warranted. These people have feelings too you know!! I think you should apoligise to them here publically??

Sure things can go wrong but that can happen in any restaurant. On the balance of probability this Charles is not genuine (particularly as he just joined Trip Advisor to further distribute his rant!!!

Where is Fin de Mundo anyway? This site is about Carvoeiro and I think the MODS should remove this post and ban this person if he does not apologise for the personal attacks as clearly the vast balance of opinion is against him and this type of dubious post does not serve anyones interest at all.

Toots
charles hewitt
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by charles hewitt »

As stated earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I spoke to the staff and asked for the manager to share my views at the time. They were poorly dealt with - in fact not dealt with! Hence the opinion appalling - it is a service industry.
I take absolute exception to being described as not genuine.
The forum is not a sales tool and should be used for all genuine opinions.
The only rants I can see are those of Toots! Please do not make this personal.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

I have been to the Wolf many times and never had a bad meal, cold veg etc. I have never experienced any similar issues with others whilst eating in the wolf. The manager is a delight as are the staff. I last went there 2 weeks ago. I have taken friends who love it too. You don't need to have gone to fancy top restaurants to know good food as it appears to sound with one so called reviewer above. This forum is, in my view, all about what our village in Carvoeiro is about. It's a great place to eat and I will continue to go to the wolf most trips and we travel there frequently.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Toots wrote:
Where is Fin de Mundo anyway? This site is about Carvoeiro

Toots
Couldn't agree more Toots
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

charles hewitt wrote:As stated earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I spoke to the staff and asked for the manager to share my views at the time. They were poorly dealt with - in fact not dealt with! Hence the opinion appalling - it is a service industry.
I take absolute exception to being described as not genuine.
The forum is not a sales tool and should be used for all genuine opinions.
The only rants I can see are those of Toots! Please do not make this personal.
Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, no need for people to be rude.
People who slate this forum as 'the dark side' appear when it suits them :(