Mar D'Fora (ex O Boteco)

Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Mar D'Fora (ex O Boteco)

Post by Aldo »

posting deleted
Last edited by Aldo on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Mar D'Fora (ex O Boteco)

Post by tricky »

Thanks for that great review. Will definitely visit
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

Definitely going to visit here when we are over. It looks lovely.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

Very good detailed review Aldo, we are also really looking forward to going to this place when out in a few weeks. Great to hear they are doing a good job. :D :D :D
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

We ate there a couple of weeks ago. The new decor etc is beautiful - feels and looks clean and fresh. Food was super - cost was a little higher than other places - I paid €85 for 2 people but that was 3 courses each plus bottle of wine, 2 coffee liqueurs and beer.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

my daughter booked on line after my recommendation. She had her confirmation when she arrived tonight the table had not been reserved, the staff were rude and they had a bad table at the back in the corner. This is not acceptable and we will not be recommending the restaurant or going back
sandman
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by sandman »

We tried this restaurant recently with a large party. The food is just ok but very expensive. Couvert was pricey at around 27 euro for 4adults and 7 young children( kids only picked at the bread). We got charged 6.40 euro for 8 portions of butter, of which 3 were delivered to the wrong table but for which we were still charged. We chose not to leave a tip as we felt service was not great and the couvert price should cover it. Don't think they were impressed with that. It was busy, but they will need to up their standards of food and service to survive the winter. It is a lovely setting and great looking restaurant. Service was surly at best!
Best meal so far has been Onze - chicken Caesar salad for lunch and the duck breast for dinner!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm sad that Aldo felt it necessary to delete his post, but that was his personal choice. Ironically, we have given Onze two tries and been exceedingly disappointed on both occasions. So, read my views on Mar D'Fora with equal skepticism.

We found it to be OK to Good. Not great, not bad, not cheap, not outrageous. Service was friendly, prompt and helpful. Plenty of staff waiting to help.

The setting is superb and the refurb is excellent.
Now, do I think these two things warrant the inflated prices?
In a word, no.
In retrospect, what was needed was a new chef at the original Portuguese style O Boteco - OR - A superb Chef at the expensively refurbed Mar D'Fora. So far we have something in between and I'm not sure what. It's a simple boring competitor to Tia Ilda just down the road, or a clone of the over-priced restaurants on the square. Its not mind blowing great, but I feel well fed, well served, and my wallet is lighter by more than it should be.

So, do give it a try - at least once, preferably twice and review again. That's what I will do.
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Tried this last week. Have always liked the location and really like the new look. 3 of us had 2 course meal with drinks and wine and couvert for 115 euros. Staff friendly, food was good and service efficient so despite being on the pricey side, we will go again.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

We deleted the post as we do not reward bad behaviour. Under no circumstance would we recommend or return to this restaurant Our first and last bill here was 160 euro for 2 people. However the treatment of my daughter was unforgivable. Draw your own conclusions
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

A party of 10 of us ate there last Sunday night.

Location....undoubtedly superb.
The menu is somewhat limited, especially the choices of pasta dishes, and is somewhat patchily delivered.
My wifes seafood pasta dish was very limited in seafood, as was my sister-in-laws.
My daughter really enjoyed her salad.
The waiter insisted that my fillet of lamb was best served medium, not medium rare as I ordered. It was overcooked, and the sauté potatoes greasy and undercooked.
There were hardly any desserts on offer....just 2 cakes.
The house wine was quite good but a bit expensive.

If they are looking to get into Ele&Ellas market, they'll need to up their game.

Overall, they are still probably finding their feet, but there is plenty of room for improvement...a restaurant cant survive for ever on the view, and the undoubted improvements of the restaurant environment itself.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Bruce, let's be frank, if you can't cook a lamb chop or saute a potato then you probably shouldn't be in the restaurant business?

We enjoyed some delicious well prepared food at Villa Julianna only a few days earlier - it's hardly rocket science.

Why don't you open your doors to the public ?????????????

Paddy could be Maitre D & Marcia in charge of wine?
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Where is Villa Julianna?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

shanagarry wrote:Where is Villa Julianna?
I'm afraid it's a closely guarded secret and dining is by personal invitation only ! It's Bruce's villa shanagarry :wink:
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I would have Roger as maitre de, and maybe you as executive chef