Terroir

tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Terroir

Post by tricky »

The new wine bar/Portuguese tapas restaurant opposite primavera.
We went last night and liked it. There is a blackboard with around 5 or six ' starter' tapas and the same number of large ones and some sides. We had monchique charcuterie, a spicy steak dish, meatballs, potato wedges, goats cheese and honey. The wine is displayed on shelves into regions and you can buy to take away. The mark up for drinking the wine at the table us approx 10 euros. We were recommended a full bodied duro at 9 euros plus mark up. One of the cheaper wines so they were not trying to rip us off.

Service was very good, but noticed when we checked the menu board a few weeks ago the
Menu hadn't changed. As the choice was quite limited ( but in a good way). I would like to see it changing a bit before I go again
Bill came to 60 euros for 2 including wine
Günni
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Terroir

Post by Günni »

"opposite Primavera"?..........
between "Marisquera" and "A Rede?"
or did "Vimar" change?
Rene
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Rene »

No, Vimar is still there
If coming from town it is after Marisquira but before A rede, there is a bar next door to Marisquira & it is after this along that parade...
Günni
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Günni »

ah...ok, thnx, Rene
the former estate agent
https://www.google.de/maps/place/8400+C ... ef7d?hl=de
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

this is a lovely addition to the village restaurants; cosy & well furnished, easy on the eye; a good choice of tapa's, delicious wines from all over portugal, gets the thumbs up 8)
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

I've been doing a bit of reading up about this place. We arrive on Wednesday and are definitely going to give it a try. They have a Facebook page - I hope I'm not breaking any rules by linking to it. https://www.facebook.com/TerroirCarvoeiro
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

Bigben wrote:I've been doing a bit of reading up about this place. We arrive on Wednesday and are definitely going to give it a try. They have a Facebook page - I hope I'm not breaking any rules by linking to it. https://www.facebook.com/TerroirCarvoeiro
THanks for linking, that's great, one to try when next in CVO
Gaynor
Rubydoo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Rubydoo »

My sister and her husband tried it last week, said it was really good. Will give it a go next time we're out.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Well, having been up since 4.15am, we needed to set off for an early evening meal and were determined to try "Terroir". No regrets. This is our 5th consecutive visit to CVO in April, and perhaps we have made some poor choices, but we have had some very indifferent and rather over-priced meals, I have to say.

We went in just before 7pm and even this early in the season, there were only 6 unreserved places left, although the establishment is smaller than I was expecting. The choice of wine is impressive, with prices from €4.50 to €65 plus the €10 corkage, which is very reasonable considering the 200% markup I've seen in some Swiss and German places.

One of the proprietors recommended a modestly priced Douro ( €12) which was probably the best Portuguese red I've tasted. The food was tasty, nicely-presented and served in a friendly, informal way. None of the "pushy approach" of certain other places.

My only criticism, which I passed on, was that the meat dishes went cold rather quickly as they had been served in unheated, or under-heated dishes.

As has been said, this is a great addition to the choice of restaurants in CVO. On the basis of just one visit, and I expect we'll go one more time at least, I'm sure it will do well.

(Sorry for any typos - very small screen and very tired also.)
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

We went in March on our next visit and were really impressed with the wines, the team who helped us taste them and the really tasty tapas. It's a really good concept and we went back a few days later just off drinks before a meal at Villa Medici opposite. Great to have a good new place and getting into Portugal's wines. Give it a try soon.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Went to this wine bar again last night. Very disappointed. We had to wait over a hour and a half for our food and even the couvert was a bit disjointed. After ordering 45i tues went by before we were told there were no patatas bravas left in fact no potatoes of any kind. So we hAd to amend our order. Food was okay but when I mentioned that we had waited so long for our food we had finished the bottle of wine. They asked is if we wanted two more glasses and promptly charged us for them'n

No apologies were forthcoming and it was expensive
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

It is expensive and 10 euro corkage is extortionate
Its a shame as great location and superb idea. Just pricing themselves out of market.
Apparently a joint venure with Primavera, I believe and would have hoped it would have reflected the service at Primavera.
We did not have a de;ay with our food but found the service more than relaxed.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Aldo wrote:It is expensive and 10 euro corkage is extortionate

Its a shame as great location and superb idea. Just pricing themselves out of market.
Apparently a joint venure with Primavera, I believe and would have hoped it would have reflected the service at Primavera.
We did not have a de;ay with our food but found the service more than relaxed.

Not been myself although the rest of the family have several times and enjoyed it.

I as a resident try to avoid most places in the village during July and August as very few can keep the standard of service that they offer the rest of the year.

With your comment about corkage, nearly every bar and restaurant charge that, just think a bottle of wine costing less than 3 euros in the supermarket rarely sells at a restaurant for less than 12 to 14€.

If you have a botle of wine that sells for 5€ in the supermarket you are getting a bargain at 15€ (cost plus corkage of 10)
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

The point being it's not a bottle of wine that's 5 euro in the supermarket. If it was there would not be a problem, as it would make sense. Each to their own and I am not resident so don't need to pay that fortunately
Corkage is usually applicable if you take your own alcohol into a restaurant or venue so can't see the point, just have a wine list
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

having been resident but now tourists we think its vital to pick one's way around the village restaurants in high season; went to the newish place on the hill by Rocha Brava, sat there for 20 minutes, no beer or covers offered, a waiter was sent to the shop in Rocha Brava to buy rolls, 2 more parties of 6 came in so we left; went to old favourite Lanterna Velha, packed out but they're used to dealing with that effortlessly; as are Happy's, Chefe Antonio, Jota Lita, A Gal;, and more, been at it for years, ok they all have the 'restaurant hill standard menu' but it's a good enough one, is varied, good value and you come out happy rather than stressed 8)