clifftop boardwalk

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

clifftop boardwalk

Post by sunman »

I've seen some pictures of a new cliff top boardwalk in Carvoeiro, looks like it might be near the lighthouse, or Centiannes,

does anyone know where it's being built?
bugsey
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: clifftop boardwalk

Post by bugsey »

From the church towards Algar Seco but I don't think all the way
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

From Margaridas February Newsletter

BOARDWALK CARVOEIRO
I am not sure if it has anything to do with the new political party in power in Lagoa or not but there have been lots of works going on in Carvoeiro of recent. We have had trees trimmed, new zebra crossings painted on and random pavement work as well as a visit from the new president himself who came all the way from Lagoa to meet the people of little Carvoeiro. Either way, works are being done and one of the biggest projects has to be the new boardwalk being constructed along the cliff top between the Church and Algar Seco.

Enough wood to keep the Portuguese timber industry afloat for the next year has been delivered and each day workers are out in all weathers building this amazing structure along the cliff tops. They were even out on the day of the storm and didn’t clock off even when the waves were coming up and getting them wet as they worked!

The progress of the boardwalk seems to be coming along well and when it is done it will make a great addition to Carvoeiro and allow people who were not willing to scale the side of the cliff and jump over crevices to see the beautiful area of Escadinhas, the chance to see this hidden side of Carvoeiro. I will keep you posted as to when it is completed!

Margarida
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

joeysoap wrote:From Margaridas February Newsletter

BOARDWALK CARVOEIRO
I am not sure if it has anything to do with the new political party in power in Lagoa or not but there have been lots of works going on in Carvoeiro of recent. We have had trees trimmed, new zebra crossings painted on and random pavement work as well as a visit from the new president himself who came all the way from Lagoa to meet the people of little Carvoeiro. Either way, works are being done and one of the biggest projects has to be the new boardwalk being constructed along the cliff top between the Church and Algar Seco.

Enough wood to keep the Portuguese timber industry afloat for the next year has been delivered and each day workers are out in all weathers building this amazing structure along the cliff tops. They were even out on the day of the storm and didn’t clock off even when the waves were coming up and getting them wet as they worked!

The progress of the boardwalk seems to be coming along well and when it is done it will make a great addition to Carvoeiro and allow people who were not willing to scale the side of the cliff and jump over crevices to see the beautiful area of Escadinhas, the chance to see this hidden side of Carvoeiro. I will keep you posted as to when it is completed!

Margarida
thank you :)
Tim62
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Tim62 »

Sounds Great, we're staying in one of James Villas properties near Algar Seco in April so will test the new boardwalk out! :D
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Tim62 wrote:Sounds Great, we're staying in one of James Villas properties near Algar Seco in April so will test the new boardwalk out! :D
James villas?? Obviously a man of means!! :D
Tim62
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Tim62 »

You've got to treat yourself once in a while! :wink:
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

A couple of photos I took last Friday in between the rain!!!
photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (150.42 KiB) Viewed 14582 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (145.93 KiB) Viewed 14582 times
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG (147.25 KiB) Viewed 14582 times
Looking forward to taking a stroll when it is finished!
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

Thanks for those pics, dj. We're coming in April, so hopefully it will be completed by then.
Marlis
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Marlis »

For me is this very terrible. It was possible to make a walk without this boardwalk and it was really nice. What it the next project, concrete floor on the cliffs, or an escalator at the beach like in Albufeira? :evil:

greetings
Marlis
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

Marlis wrote:For me is this very terrible. It was possible to make a walk without this boardwalk and it was really nice. What it the next project, concrete floor on the cliffs, or an escalator at the beach like in Albufeira? :evil:

greetings
Marlis
Good point Marlis but hopefully the more agile will still be able to do the walk over the rocks - did it a few years ago and it was good. However, for those who are not so nimble at least they can now walk safely and get the views and breathe in the fresh sea air.
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

Marlis wrote:For me is this very terrible. It was possible to make a walk without this boardwalk and it was really nice. What it the next project, concrete floor on the cliffs, or an escalator at the beach like in Albufeira? :evil:

greetings
Marlis
It may well have been possible for you, but when completed it will become possible for many more people for whom it is currently impossible due to physical disability.
There are plenty of other walks for those whose sensibilities are offended by such aids to mobility.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Agree 100% Mike. We go to Alvor and Armacao de Pera to take advantage of the level walking.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

greetings
Marlis
How heartless can you be, it's wonderful for anyone in a wheelchair, never thought of that eh! you can now push them to the edge and tip them over the cliff with ease. 8)
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

apart from being "user-friendly" the main reason for those boardwalks is to protect the fragile vegetation all along the cliffs and coast, like the National Park around Cabo Sao Vicente, and may also help to avoid further rock slides. I think the boardwalks are done very well and blend nicely into the environment.