A Gale . . reborn

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

A Gale . . reborn

Post by Michael Crane »

OK, nothing about smoking, I promise :?

Is this A Gale the one I refer to as A Galeria in my Lisbon Topic (page 1-3)?

It's easy to describe; it is like dining in someone's front room. A very small, intimate place on the right-hand side going up towards the Almansor Hotel when leaving the square.

If they are one and the same then this is a great little restaurant. We discovered it three years ago and have been going ever since, each time we stay in the village.

It can be a little cramped at times but don't let that put you off. The food is delicious and well priced and the service friendly and efficient.

If we are talking about the same restaurant; what is its correct name?
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

A Gale and A Galeria are two different restaurants in Carvoeiro

Post by Guest »

I think from Michaels description Maddi that it is A' Gale he is talking about and I think the rest of us. I don't think Galeria is on the right hand side and having just asked my learned wife, she's never seen it or heard of it. (10 years experience) So there.
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

I love A'Gale, it is my favourite restaurant in Carvoeiro, I first went there in 1990 (13 years ago) and one aspect of it that I love is that it continues to be owned and run by the same man. Amusingly each time we visit we take a photo album with pictures in it of him throughout the thirteen years, which shows how both he and us have aged. Last July when we were there we told him that would once again be taking his picture and he told us to take it the following evening before our return to england. When we arrived the next evening he had had blond highlights put through it, which cracked us up and resulted with an evening of mickey taking about his vain attempt to recapture his youth.

Love you Antonio!!! :wink:

p.s. If anyone can tell me what he puts in the garlic mushrooms that make them more special than anywhere else on earth I will be forever grateful - funnily enough a spoonful of bisto wasn't it?
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Just to clarify, my restaurant is a little, white-painted 'house', for want of a better word. The door - on the righthand side - opens outwards and you are directly into the dining area. When entering the door the kichens are to your right, and on the right is a small bar on which many bottles are stored.

There are two tiny sections to the dining area, and I think, only about 8 to 10 tables.

One peculiar thing I have noticed is that often a member of staff can seen walking around the front of the 'house' going to I know not where :?

So, this A Gale :?:

Post by Guest »

Hi Michael, I know the one you mean now and it's not A'Gale which is further up on the same side. However, I can't confirm the name of it.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Michael, I know the one you mean now and it's not A'Gale which is further up on the same side. However, I can't confirm the name of it.
Short of a grid reference I can't pin-point it any closer. Does anyone know the name of my little restaurant? Perhaps someone who's going soon could take a look and report back?
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

Little, stand alone white house as you go up on the right hand side, just after the turn that goes up the hill to the school/church? With a garden and all?

Yup - thats Galeria.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Gambrinus wrote:Yup - thats Galeria.
Thank you, Gambrinus.

The reason I was unsure was that in the apartment we had in March their was a visitor's book and in it, in the Food section, many people had said what a terrible place A Gale was :shock:

These comments were toally opposite to our own experience and I was anxious that my recommendation was for the correct restaurant.

Post by Guest »

This makes no sense as A'Gale is a very well rated and consistant on a year to year basis good restaraunt Michael. I do remember the restaraunt you refer to years ago and have comments about which I won't repeat. How old's the guest book?
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

As far as I remember the comments ranged over a longish period, but the Gale comments were mentioned a few times.

Each to his own. As you know, one man's meat is another man's poussin :lol:

Post by Guest »

Agreed, you really must try O' Cantino further up the hill on the right and closer to ADM and VDM
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

We (four of us) will be in the village over Christmas & New Year. Any chance they do a nice Christmas dinner with all the trimmings :P

Post by Guest »

You have already been recommended to the Almansor, wait until nearer the date before a decision, Mike, Chislehurst. One thing Michael I have discovered is that if you are arriving on the 24th Dec, then there maybe a "big" problem getting in provisions as I'm told everywhere is closed food wise. Hopefully others will tell us otherwise. there is a welcome pack but not exactly the same as a Xmas lunch..could be a problem.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Right, then, it'll have to be a smuggled Bernard Matthews' Turkey Roast :lol:

The Almansor kindly sent me details of New Years Eve 2002/3. Their new menu, programme and prices don't come out until late August - but they have placed me on thier contact list and in return I have provisionally booked us in for the 31st. :P

Despite a holiday to Turkey in June, it is this one to the village in December that I'm looking forward to most.