Just back review

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Just back review

Post by EMM »

On the contrary, I am not sticking my head in the sand, I realise that Portugal is no different from the problems that the rest of the world is experiencing and why should it be.
Companies going bust, inflation. fewer people going on holiday. just facts of life. We have just got to get used to it.

However we have received more rental enquires for the summer in recent weeks than we saw 3-4 years ago, must be the UK weather plus the improvement in sterling. :D
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

Getting a kick out of all of this negativity.
When we first visited the Algarve in 1990, it was like a 3rd World Country and the N125 was the only highway and it was 2 lanes only. We are fine using the N125 - which has been greatly improved and can avoid the A22 (as a protest). We have been spoiled by our super highways at home and while on vacation it is nice to slow down and "smell the roses".
I'm sure after this summer, after the traffic jams and hotheads - the whole situation will be rethought and a satisfactory remedy will be put in place.
We can only hope...... 8)
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

cereza wrote:Just got back myself and Martin's points are very true. Those who criticise him are just sticking their heads in the sand :roll:
:roll:
All bar and restaurant owners moaned about how quiet it is and the prospects are not good.
Of course we enjoyed ourselves as always, even despite the nasty bug going around, but you have to worry about the future. The airport certainly needs sorting out before the summer comes. :roll:
Further west on the 125 we found 2 half built new roundabouts where the constructors have walked away due to non payment by the local Camara leaving dangerous junctions. Also the old bridge into Lagos is closed after resurfacing was attempted with a 20 ton truck on a 10 ton max bridge!!!! It is feared that the bridge will not be repaired for years due to the lack of finance :shock:

The whinging is from everyone including the Portuguese so don't try lumping it on just the Brits or the Paddies. The economic situation is dire - there is no point in trying to deny it :cry:
I too am just back. Love the place and love the people. We ate out 4 times last week and in two of the restaurants there was only 6/8 customers including ourselves. Sander in O Tasco said the new vat rate of 23% was killing them. The tolls are a joke. and the proposed solution not much better. €1.85 per day excluding tolls is extortion. Add nearly €14 to a weeks rental for the privlidge of renting a transponder, using the motorways to cvo and back and the tolls are now effectively €10 each way. And who are the main sufferers of all this madness - not the tourists, nor us owners, the main sufferers are the locals. both the business owners trying to run a business in the face of mindless burocracy and the potential employees who cannot find work because the tourists/owners are eating/drinking out less.

as for the airport, it's not perfect but it's ok. except for one aspect. the queue for passport control LEAVING the country, what's that about? we have 2 brand new passports but its hit and miss if the automatic reader works on them. The queues on Saturday were very long (one of our passports worked, the other didn't) and the 2 officials on duty looked like they would rather be anywhere else.
but I still love the place :D
We all do :D
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

However we have received more rental enquires for the summer in recent weeks than we saw 3-4 years ago, must be the UK weather plus the improvement in sterling. :D[/quote]
I have a feeling that most people are leaving the U.K. this Summer to get away from the Olympics.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

everyone can have enquieries bu t it's actual bookings that count. if you look on many rental sites you can see that lettings are down
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Lotte
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Lotte »

Blimey,

I've just read Martin's last two posts (this one & the Car Rental post/moan!).

Even though he says he had a great time & is already looking forward to his next trip - I wouldnt like to read his posts if he didnt have a good time!!!!!!

Martin - If that is all you've got to moan about, I really hope nothing really bad ever happens to you!!!!!!!

If you feel that strong about it, its probably best that you go somewhere else - possibly a 5 Star hotel somewhere, fly in by private jet to your own runway, followed by private pick up with complete road closures for all other drivers, just so it makes it nice & easy for you!!!

Get a life man!!!!!!!
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

Well said, Lotte :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Martin thank you for your post, your views are just as valid as anyone elses.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

I agree with Bruce. Everyone is entitled to their point of view whether you agree with or not. Telling someone who posts something which you disagree with to 'get a life' is a form of bullying.
jamielyon4
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jamielyon4 »

joeysoap wrote:I agree with Bruce. Everyone is entitled to their point of view whether you agree with or not. Telling someone who posts something which you disagree with to 'get a life' is a form of bullying.

You are dead right and the irony is everyone is saying more or less the same thing...here is my 2 penneth from Easter

Airport - congested at arrivals tent but no delays...Im hearing should be fixed for summer

Tolls - retal company explained charges so it was my choice for the route

Restaurants - well down on previous years usual suspects full A gale, O indiano, Casa Algarvia, Happys rest looked dire

Prices - deffo up but I reckon more than the VAT increase...on the positive more places offering set price meal

Weather - mixed but better than here!

We just booked next Easter flights on sleazyjet so we will be back this and next year!!
martin.cork
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by martin.cork »

Thanks Bruce,
- Get a life ??? I own a property in Carvoeiro for a long time and feel I have a right to comment on both the good and the not so good.
I would not like to share my good comments with people who respond in this manner.
Regarding the car rental, I am sure if you were in my situation at 11pm at the airport you would not be happy either, but then again you could probably
hop on your happy horse, head along the A22 and wait for the sun to rise.......................
My comments were made to highlight what can happen in some situations. Facts are Facts .
Maybe Canada & Lotte should respond to all those that posted on the tolls topic.
Thou shall not ..... ..............
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

well said Martin. certain people who post on most topics seem to think it is only their opinions that are right
maybe some of them "should get a life" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Lotte
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Lotte »

Marin, Bruce, Cumbria Sue,

Please accept my most humble & profuse apologies...I didnt mean to cause so much consternation.

I totally agree that the problems at the Airport are not great........but are they that bad?

Yes, there are problems with the tolls....but does it warrant the size of posting witten by Martin....I repeat.....get a life man!!!!!

Unfortunately, things like Airport problems, Road Tolls, & being fleeced by Car Rental firms are part of life......sad, but true (& not just in portugal).

Anyway, just getting my happy horse saddled for my visit in a couple of weeks.

Martin....as you own a property in CVO (well pointed out by the way), you are more than qualified to comment on any subject you feel you need to, I was just pointing out that in my humble opinion you may have gone a tad over the top. My apologies, but in my lowly existence I unfortunately do not own a property in CVO, however, having visited the village for nearly twenty years, I think i can also comment.

Come on guys....live a bit...it really isnt the end of the world.

Joeysoap - telling someone to get a life really really isnt bullying..............come on, get a life!!!!!.........Only joking!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Lotte on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Good to see Martin posting his personal observations. As someone who, in the past has been 'attacked' for having an opinion contrary to that of certain others, I am right behind him. At least it makes a welcome change from the boring stuff we've had recently. Image

That reminds me. What's the weather like in the village at the moment? :roll:
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

Jayus guys and gals - what a load of fuss about nothing. I don't believe Martin actually said anything about the airport and tolls we were not aware of.

As far as I remember (being coming to CVO since early 1990s) the bars and restaurant owners have always said it always quieter this time of year - and its bound to be worse now because of the economic mess some countries are in (if you live in Spain and times are hard would you go to the Algarve for a holiday when you can go to Costa Del Sol etc).

Food has been expensive in CVO since the introduction of the euro - VAT at 23% certainly doesn't help.

Golf is getting more expensive and has been for some years.

Simon, who is picking us up from the airport has told me he is not risking his life or minibus on the 125 - so toll road for us now included in the price - a good benefit because we'll probably get to CVO 15 minutes quicker than normal - and our choice to pay.

Coming in July - will spend lots of euros to help the CVO economy - and because its July and not March or April, the sun will shine every day and it will be nice and hot - our choice again.

So come on down to CVO, smile and be happy!