Property Insurance

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Polli62
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Property Insurance

Post by Polli62 »

Maccasa, When you say Victoria Insurance, would that be Liverpool Victoria (LV) from the UK ?
Dial, may just have a look at the AA insurance for future reference. Thanks for the tip.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

thanks for the aa information. cheapest so far ( by a country mile)
anyone know ball park figures for rebuilding ie I just entered what we paid for the apt and this includes purchasing our share of the swimming pool and playground.
suppose theres no point in putting in too low a figure but in a worst case scenario clearing the site and starting again would probably not leave a lot of change from the original price anyway.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

here we go again. just received quote from intasure and up 25% on what I actually paid last year (not what they were originally asking). I tried go compare but guess what? when I pressed the button and requested a quote they informed me that Intasure would contact me shortly with quote :roll: anyway about 1 hour later Intasure did indeed contact me and when I informed they agent that I thought that their quotation was a bit on the steep side and that inflation in Portugal was zero - if not minus - and that I was not paying much more for a 5 bedroom in Ireland she replied that inflation in the UK was the causing premiums to increase, and did I wan't to be put through to renewals to see if they could do anything. I declined. For the moment anyway. We are not paying any condo fees ( the builder looks maintains the pool and green areas etc) so need to insure building as well as contents. Intasure don't put individual values on property, and no doubt that works in their favour too. The excess has also increased to €250 from €150.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

With all types of insurance nowadays I rarely renew with the same company because they are all trying to profit from customers complacency. I always check around and then try to get the renewing firm down in price - if that fails then I just switch to someone else.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I also insure with Intasure, and was not too happy with the increase, however on shopping around other quotes were higher and in one case would not consider insurance unless we could give facts and figures on number and intensity of earthquakes a year, we declined as their minimum quote would still have been higher than Intasure. So we renewed with Intasure.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Like some others we use Intasure and although the premium only went up a bit this year the thing that really annoyed me was the change to the excess. Not only had the excess gone up considerably but it now applied to all sections of the policy rather than just selected sections. Intasure claimed that this was down to the underwriters and beyond their control.

Intasure's policy seemed a good one given their treatment of unoccupied periods and the built in earthquake cover but if they are not careful they will drive away the extensive customer base that they have created. Anymore rises much beyond the rate of inflation and I'll be shopping around.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

I use Intasure too but my renewal is at the end of the year so will wait and see but it looks like the normal ploy of so many insurance companies. Entice people in with a good deal and increase the prices after 1 or 2 years hoping that many will not bother to check around. A classic example of this is Admiral with their 2 car insurance deal -i switched away from them after 1 year. Many people think that the insurance company will treat you better if you are an old customer but they couldn't care less :(
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

All these comments prompted me to look at my insurance. To be honest I've trusted my managing agent to select the right insurance but on closer inspection it appears that i have been insured with Lusitania for 8 years. The premium for "Multirriscos Habitacao" has risen from €600 in 2004 to €950 in 2011 for a 300sq mtr villa with pool on a 2000 sq mtr plot. Do you get what you pay for or is this just over priced? I've only tried to claim once and that was for a lightening strike which fried a heating controller. Guess what - wasn't covered so paid an extra premium to ensure it was next time!

Comments on a postcard please................
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Think I'm with Zurich, any comments. :?
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

Try contacting Click 4 quote

http://www.click4quote.com/holiday-home ... tugal.aspx

UK based.

They also do the Top Up car insurance that several members have used.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

pato wrote:Think I'm with Zurich, any comments. :?
Top company but very expensive !!
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

widge wrote:All these comments prompted me to look at my insurance. To be honest I've trusted my managing agent to select the right insurance but on closer inspection it appears that i have been insured with Lusitania for 8 years. The premium for "Multirriscos Habitacao" has risen from €600 in 2004 to €950 in 2011 for a 300sq mtr villa with pool on a 2000 sq mtr plot. Do you get what you pay for or is this just over priced? I've only tried to claim once and that was for a lightening strike which fried a heating controller. Guess what - wasn't covered so paid an extra premium to ensure it was next time!

Comments on a postcard please................
Just as I said before widge - they rely on complacency - and your agent may well be on a kick back too :roll:
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Interesting view about insurance cover expressed here.......

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153228

Worth checking out if you rent out your villa.
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

Have to renew my house insurance (3 bed villa with pool) as we are here full time now and no longer letting out. Had a quote from Fidelidade of 133 euros for building & contents. However, adding on earthquake insurance raises this to 378 euros. I would be interested to hear how this compares with 2017 premiums paid by other owners. I am told that earthquake insurance is advisable, especially where there is a pool, but is it the norm?

Cheers
bookbabe
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bookbabe »

I have got my car and house insurance with Ibex in Almancil. Their cover is tons better than Abbeygate. All their policies are in English so easy to understand and they explain everything.