Hemingways

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Hemingways

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

sunman wrote:
EMM wrote: I am not anti british I just choose not to patronise certain establishments popular with some british I did not know it was compulsory .

EMM, what does that mean? the issue is that as you say, you choose not to patronise some establishments, but other people do, and you should respect other folks choices, not attack them, why would it be such a deal to you?

Tell me why is it that some British seem to need to have familiar things around them when they go on holiday to another country??
Those of us of a certain age can remember holidays abroad in countries without, english beer, breakfasts, roast dinners, TV etc.
We certainly did not miss any of them nor did the lack of them stop us from having a good holiday.
why should folk explain why they like familiar things around them whilst abroad to you? friends of mine often stay in The Almansor, I join them for breakfast in the hotel, piles of eggs, bacon, beans, tea etc etc, and an international customer base, have you wandered up there and berated the management? And on the odd occasion I've been into Hemmingways lots of people drink bottles of Crystal, Portuguese Lager. There are what, three Chinese restaurants in town? two Indians? Pizza restaurants, hamburgers, all good 'English' fare.

so again, please, continue to enjoy whatever you choose to do, but if someone comes over here for a bit of sun and r&r and chooses to drink tea, eat bacon sandwiches, read The Sun & watch Corry on their Sky telly think about leaving them alone, they're not doing any harm.
Can we join too Sunman, next time, sounds a lush brekkie
Gaynor :D
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Ernie wrote:Good , I think CM was spot on about the inverted snobbery. I dont even know from all your dislikes on various posts why you bother with CVO
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Getting back to the subject of Hemingways even though Murray and Hazel have left,it's still good place to watch the footie the snacks are pretty decent and there always seems to be somebody in there who you can have a chat with.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

PTBUXTON wrote:
Ernie wrote:Good , I think CM was spot on about the inverted snobbery. I dont even know from all your dislikes on various posts why you bother with CVO
Its is because Carvoeiro has very little to apeal to the mass market UK holiday maket that it is our home for at least 4 months of the year ( we visit winter and summer )and hopefully will be full time in the not too distant future.

If you are looking for the UK abroad in the Algarve and all the worst features asocociated with that then fortunately Carvoeiro is not the place for you.

As for " international Hotels " like the Almansor, customers who do not leave the confines of such places need never know what country they are in.

First Choice holidays has announced that they will soon be offering ONLY ALL INCLUSIVE holidays , even more bad news for the Portuguese and Algarve holiday markets.

As for Hemingways we do suggest it to those who stay with us as it is the closest place with FREE wi fi.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Took me a few years to discover HWs. Glad we did. Murray and Hazel good hosts. Left CVO just after Murray & Hazel had their farewell night.........really glad didn't have far to walk!!!
As previously mentioned CVO has range of pubs styles, surely having something for everyone is preferred option? We find we're able to visit places that are quiet or lively and/or basic or classy. Only evder real hassle was when we went to a wee bar on the Lagos front near the fish market, obvious we were not welcome.
Bar Rosa? Sat there many a time when the local workies arrived for their evening beer only to find out many of them ex-pats!!!! Wonder if old couple on the scooter still pop in for expresso and brandy??
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

Well, the instigator of this little (entertaining) battle of words (me), will be watching (hopefully), the F1 on the 26th of June in Hemingways. If it's not on there it's going to be a pubcrawl until I find it. All contributors welcome to a pint (sherry for the Ladies) and a chat about life on the Algarve and Carvoeiro over the years.

See you in June :lol:
Ernie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Ernie »

It will certainly be on there so enjoy
Bluemoon230989
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bluemoon230989 »

Well that was certainly an interesting thread!
Now, can anyone tell me, in the interests of saving time, how I can exclude messages from any given poster on the forum?
No names, no pack drill!
:wink:
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Bluemoon230989 wrote:Well that was certainly an interesting thread!
Now, can anyone tell me, in the interests of saving time, how I can exclude messages from any given poster on the forum?
No names, no pack drill!
:wink:
Go to control panel, select the Friends and Foe tab and then enter your Foes. However, some of the negative posts on this thread have come from members who offer a lot to the forum and you could possibly be doing yourself out of some good posts. Up to you entirely, I've already added you as a foe :)
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

I have foed cowboy. Best thing I ever did. He still can't resist having a go at me - but I can't see him so what do I care? :P

PS: He's certain to reply to this comment. Unless someone quotes him I won't even know its cut&paste content. :roll:
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

Bloody hell Cowboy that was a bit strong even for you
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

CM wrote:Bloody hell Cowboy that was a bit strong even for you
Stop winding me up you numpty! When you foe someone you see they have posted with the option to view, so I can clearly see that cowboy has not replied . . . . . yet! :wink:
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

Worth a go :lol:
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

CM wrote:Worth a go :lol:
That might have fooled cowboy but it didn't fool me. :wink:
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

Having just come back from a 5 day stay in Malta (St Julian's Bay) Hemmingway’s is the least of Caroveiro's worries. My god talk about a building site with British pubs: The Scott's Bar, Dubliners, Paul’s Bar, Dave’s Bar, Jocks Bar, list is endless, never the likes I want to see again. 70 of us went out for a wedding and 70 of us vowed never to return......Only thing I can say about the Island is the Maltese people are wonderful. Last went when I was a student 34 years ago and by god they starting building then and haven’t stopped. Sorry if slightly off topic. Two weeks and counting for CVO :D
Gaynor