Pego do Inferno (Tavira Waterfall)

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Pego do Inferno (Tavira Waterfall)

Post by fmm »

IN a bid to do something more than eat and drink, I took my sister and her husband to Tavira. Whilst there we saw a sign for the waterfall and followed it for several miles until we went off the beaten track and found a car park. Walked up the hill, down some wooden steps, over some wooden bridges, down more wooden steps, wooden bridges. THey are fairly rickety and it was unbelievably hot. Not expecting much - just a small waterfall. Was absolutely not expecting this!

I've had to use someone elses photos as I stupidly didn't take a camera. It was a little oasis with people diving from rocks, swimming and sun bathing. Almost like being on a film set.

Anyway - if you are around Tavira and don't mind a longish and possibly slightly dodgy walk, I would definitely consider a visit. Make sure you take towels, swimming stuff, drinks and food with you as there is nothing there. There is a wooden shack bar near the car park but that was shut when we were there.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Pego do Inferno (Tavira Waterfall)

Post by bruce »

Looks idyllic!
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Here it is on Google Maps: CLICK HERE 8)

It is 86km from Carvoeiro and should take appox 1 hour.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I saw it on a TV program recently (cannot remember which one) and was amazed as didn't know it was there. They said it was a bit of a trek, but worth it. Been to that side of algave a few times, but never seen it promoted.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

"O Pego do Inferno" ("The Pool of Hell"): Pego do Inferno is in the parish of Santo Estevão, a few kilometres from Tavira. The name is quite ironic, considering that it is a beautiful turquoise-blue lagoon with a 5 metre cascading waterfall (an outlet for the River de Asseca). It is an area of great environmental wealth and is the perfect setting to relax, swim, take in the nature and even spot some of the local wildlife. The natural lagoon forms part of the National Ecological Reserve and is protected by a rocky crag and green trees and shrubs. The footpath is the best way to get to the waterfall; and there is the picnic area where you can stop and enjoy your packed lunch. Directions to Pego do Inferno:

Get on the EN397 from Tavira towards Cachopo and take a left turn, after approximately 7 km. Pego do Inferno is hidden behind the exotic vegetation, following a walk down some hundred steps. Note: Don't forget some insect repellent!

we discussed this about 1 year ago on this very forum!
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

MUst have missed that discussion. Never hurts to bring up a positive topic again though :lol:
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

we found it quite by accident aftera trip into the mountains - lovely spot and well worth it
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Looks nice. Thought I'd get some brownie points by mentioning this to a work colleague who has a place near Tavira. She tells me she trekked up hill and down dale two years ago to get there and when she did it was a small puddle! Serious water shortage that year now I recall. :)
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

It looks really fab. Will give it a whirl on our next visit as we tend to go to Cabanas de Tavira for our hols now as that part of the Algarve is considerably cheaper than CVO. Food and drink is half the prices of CVO and quality and choice far exceed the norm of the area of CVO, unless of course if you venture further afield.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I do not know where you get the idea that prices in the popular east ( tavira and Cabanas ) are 50% of Carvoeiro.
A friend of ours who has stayed in both Carvoerio and just outside of Tavira noticed no significant difference on his last visit 2 weeks ago. Like anywhere small local places or those away from the resorts will always be cheaper but anywhere with comparable quality is not as cheap as you think. Cabanas is not Carvoeiro either , far from it.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Blimey BSJ - every time I have been to Tavira I have not found anywhere as good as the places I go in Cvo and absolutely definitely not half the price!
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Some examples.

Orange juice 1.50 Euro
Coffee = 60 cents
Cocktails = 2 Euros
Beer = 1.50 Euro
King Prawn/Monkfish Kebab (6 K.P, 6 M.F) with potatoes, salad = 10 Euros
Picana steak with chips and salad = 8 Euros.

3 course dinner with wine/ beer as a tourist menu price range 7.5 - 12 Euros

All from beachside restuarants and places similiar to resturaunts used in CVO

None from little backstreet places or from obscure places.
I know we can find similiar in CVO if one looks beyond restuarant hill and the mainstream and further inland and away from the beaches and main divide road. The ones I mentioned above are from the main drags in Cabanas and in Tavira.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

You can get the same prices in many tourist places in Albufeira but I would not want to eat in them.
If price was everything we would all holiday there but it isn,t.

Carvoeiro does not have a " main drag " like Cabanas , Albufeira or Pria Da Rocha, maybe if it did we would see the same sort of places but then it would not be Carvoeiro.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Perhaps if you visit Cabanas de Tavira you will see what I mean. It is nothing like Albufera and Prai De Rocha. It is smaller than CVO, however it has the charm of CVO