Beach/Rock fishing near CVO

Top 10 pages, Organise Get-Togethers and community events. Check the CVO Ramblers walking group. Food recipes & golf news.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Beach/Rock fishing near CVO

Post by starsky »

EMM,
Thanks for the info in regards to that mark. It sounds very interesting and ideal for the fly.
I'm going to do the usual thing by having a look at various locations at LW. Is there anywhere o should be concentrating my search East of CRV as I'm staying that way.
Where do you do your fishing back in the UK ?
Cheers,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Any of the beaches east between carvoerio and Armacao will be of a similar nature.
There are wide surf beaches between Armacao and Gale but I have never seen anyone using a flyrod.

If you can get space to cast a fly the lower rocks at Algar seco could be profitable, very popular with locals.
A thought if you could negotiate a reasonable price with one of the local boatman I am sure they would take you to where the fish are. Easier than off the rocks.
PLease let me know if you do and how it went.
Local waters to me are Blagdon, Chew and any of the somerset reservoirs. Hope to try flyfishing for pike on the local rivers and drains this autumn.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

I spent a weekend fishing Blagdon at a forum social and must say I prefered it to Chew.
Nice part of the world you fish in down there. I have never fished for Pike before but have a few friends who keep trying to get me out. So little time so much fishing.....
I have a friend who guides for Pike on the fly down that way. If you feel the need to hire someone to show you around let me know.
Thanks for the info on regards to CRV . I think it's time to really put some research in on Google Earth.
Cheers,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Took the two godsons fishing yesterday, not too traumatic, they both managed not to fall in, one nearly brained a swimmer with his float and lead. The other would not touch the ragworms.
Managed to save my reputation by catching a few small sea bream.
Could not have been too bad an experience as tey want to go again.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Well done on getting some kids involved in fishing. I'm looking forward to taking mine when he is big enough .
I'm glad you got into some fish and hopefully I will when I visit next week . I'm really looking forward to it.
I think I will try to hire out a boat if it's not too costly.
Cheers,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Went again yesterday afternoon at high tide. The sea was full of small fish , our bait , ragworms were stripped within minutes of hitting bottom.
Culprits wrasse.
We tried to hire a boat locally . no joy, I think you will have to go to Portimao or Alvor.
Alvor is a good place to combine a family day out with fishing.

We went on a 3 hour sail ( Trigana 12 persons ) and caught cavalha ( Mackeral ) by spinning. Good fun very relaxing stopping for a swim near lagos before sailing back. Only down side wind was a bit too strong for fishing but great for sailing. This is the second time we have done this and will certainly go back later in the seaon.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Thanks for the update.
Is that from the mark you told me about near the restaurant?
Sounds fun on the boat and its definetly an avenue i will be exploring when i get there. It would be nice to get a boat that would be willing to take my young boy aswell.
Only nine more sleeps to go :)
Mark
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

I forgot to ask,where do you get your info in regards to tide times ?

Thanks,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

YEs it was from where I described. The tide times are in the local Algarve Resident newspaper.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Thanks for that.
I have a fellow flyfisherman who is catching loads in Portugal at the moment. I think he is staying near Lagos which I believe isn't to far from CVO. once I find out his marks and more info I will let you know.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Please do , I look fwd to getting the details.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Starsky how was your holiday ?
Did you get any fishing time and how successful were you ?
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Hi EMM,
I had a great holiday thanks and definetly will be going back sometime in the future.

In regards to the fishing I'm afraid there isn't much to tell. My fishing time was limited to first
light as there was no way I was going to get an evening pass( I did try a a couple of feelers but the silence spoke a thousand words...)
I managed to get down the the beach near Bodeco restaurant a couple of times. My timing wasn't great as the steps didn't go all the way to the beach. There was some building work going on and to access the beach you had to absail
down a rope of the rock ledge. I didn't fany that as I'm a crap climber especially when carrying fishing tackle. To cut a long story short I caught zilch fishing of the rock ledge.
I must admit I could have drove to few places but I got in a bit of a holiday mode(lazy) and could never muster the will power to get up so early after a late night.
Next time I come I will make more effort.
My mate caught his fish from the harbour wall at Lagos. He fished a Di 3 line using Charteuse/White Clousers.
Thanks for all the advice given.
Cheers,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I think that other halves were glad to see the back of us and two boys , It also gave us an excuse for a beer at Cocktail garden before going home.
Thanks for the tip , there are similar marks off the breakwaters in Portimao and I will give your suggested tactics a try.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I went into the fishing shop in Carvoeiro on friday to buy some bait and received a 40min tutorial from the locals on the best fishing methods for the area ( ones that don,t involve the skills of a mountain goat and a head for extreme heights).
I of course being English had been doing it all wrong which is why I only catch small fish,