Beach/Rock fishing near CVO

Top 10 pages, Organise Get-Togethers and community events. Check the CVO Ramblers walking group. Food recipes & golf news.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Beach/Rock fishing near CVO

Post by starsky »

Hi all,
I'm after any pointers in regards to the above.
I'm coming to CVO at the end of July for a family holiday and was hoping to get a some fishing in/escape from the kids.
Does anyone know of any fishing marks or have seen any locals fishing from certain beaches or rocks local to CVO.
Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Beach/Rock fishing near CVO

Post by laserblazer »

People fish all along the coast, mainly locals I think. I believe you need some form of licence.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

You will need a lisence ( go to the fishing shop on the " in road " I am sure they will help. Yu can buy bait there as well.
If you follow the locals you will need a head for heights.
A good spot is at Algar Seco, I have seen locals pulling out fish after fish in the right season.
I have causght a few small fish but obviously do not know the right methods.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Sorry about the late reply.
Thanks for the info regarding license etc. The Algar Seco mark is it fising from the beach or fom the cliffs ?. I know the locals like to fish from the cliffs but to be honest I'm not particually up for rising life and limb.
Thanks,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

At algar seco you are 10-20ft /max above the water, which is why it is so popular.

For beach fishing go to Pria Grande at Ferragudo, the family can enjoy the beach and you can join the locals
fishing.Never had any luck there though.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Once again thanks for the info.
The type of fishing I do(fly) means it's better to fish from a beach or drop off which has plenty of backspace for casting. Also best with no-one around to get a fly in their eye. I would be looking at fishing first light when it's quiet.
Cheers,
Mark
Helyg
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Helyg »

You would definatly manage fly fishing off certain parts of the rocks at Algar Seco, but I have never been lucky with flies there, if you have a car i would recommend heading out to Amorosa, near Messines, approx 25/30 minute drive. There you can fish the barragems (reservoirs), superb fly fishing conditions and I have always caught a range of fish there, stunning scenary too.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

What flies would you use for the bass, I have a good range of trout lures and pike flies as part of the ggod we bought out.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Hi there,
In regards to flies for Bass you can't go wrong with Clousers in different colours with Charteuse over White,Olive over White,Orange over White and Orange and Black being popular colours combo's. When the fish are on the top small popper type flies work well. Clousers will catch you a variety of different species.
Helyg,
What set up did you use to fish the rezzies?. Also what species did you catch and what flies did you use to catch them?
I'm thinking I might be able to bring just one rod to cover both still and salt water fishing. If I bring any more rods than that I'm going to be on trouble with missus. She would be under the impression that I'm turning my family holiday into a fishing holiday.....heaven forbid
Cheers,
Mark
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

If any of you guys live out there maybe we should meet up to cast a line somewhere.
I would be more than willing to share flies etc for saltwater species.
Cheers,
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I am out in late june/early july and then again in sept.
I have a std 9ft reservoir 8wt rod that i bought over for sea fishing and a couple of lighter 5 wts for the lakes.
Have yet to find time or a suitable venue.
The river mouths and harbours are full of mullet which I am told will take a fly if you can get them feeding.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Sensibly you are not going during the holidays but I'm afraid I have no choice. Im going the first two weeks of the summer holidays so imgoing to miss you.
Mullet on the fly can drive you insane. I have just spent a weekend in Dorset with a load of very experienced flyfishers and between us we only caught one Mullet and they were feeding heavily on seaweed maggot. Lots of Bass caught though from shore and boat.
What fish have they got in the lakes?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Did you not try a dark hares ear or PT , I have read that these can deceive when feeding on maggots.

The lake fish are various types of carp although the most popular with the Portuguese are black bass ( Achigas ) .
In addition to the shop in Carvoeiro there is a real aladins cave of a shop in Lagoa, just as you walk into the square.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

We tried all sorts of flies including Sawyers Killer Bug,Hare's Ear,Maggot Shipmans,Suspenders. The only fly that caught was an Orange Clouser. Not exactly matching the hatch.
I think that there was just too many maggots on the water.
I will try to find out what flies I need for Carp and Black Bass. I know people use bread flies when fishing for Carp but not sure about Bream.
I was tempted to hire a guide for the day but with the current exchange rate it was just too expensive.
Mark
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

There is a small cove ( accessed down steep stairs ) below the Boteco restaraunt on the west side of Carvoeiro close to Monte Carvoeiro.
The tide goes out some way exposing a rocky base with numerous rock pools. I have seen it full of fish as the tide comes in .
Could be a good place to try but watch the tide you would not want to be caught out.
Water not that deep close in hence not to popular with the locals who are after fish for the pot.
I have caught using ragworm on a sliding ledger.