Majority of UK flights cancelled.

Please use for all posting related to the volcanic ash travel chaos
Lamby
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Majority of UK flights cancelled.

Post by Lamby »

Unfortunately this is totally unprecedented. The last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted anywhere close to this weeks eruption was in 1821. Obviously there was no air traffic at this time. Also, on a worrying note, the eruption in 1821 lasted until 1823.
A volcanic expert recently said that, "hyperthetically", if there had been the level of air traffic back in 1821 that there is today, flights would have been disrupted "on and off" for upto as much as twelve months :cry:
I am so glad I took my annual holiday earlier than usual this year and got to enjoy CVO (in the sunshine!!). Good luck to everyone effected by this unique situation.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Just heard that FARO airport is full of people camping out as they either have nowhere to stay or cannot afford to pay to stay.

They could be there for at least another 24 hrs.
I will be getting a refund on my outgoing EJ flight, but had booked with Ryan air to come back. If they fly I of course will get nothing back.Have also prepaid car parking etc.
Insurance companies are now saying no refunds " Act of God ". Which off course it is.
Fortunately do not prepay hire car of give CC details.
What are the car hire companies doing for those who prepay or leave a deposit ??
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

my sister is currently staying in CVO at our apartment and flew from Cardiff so looks as though she may have to stay on a while longer (lukcy for her) as I don;t think things will chage much over the weekend. Hopefully the wind direction will change and people can get back safely .
Gaynor
floyd
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by floyd »

On insurance, companies are awaiting a decision from the ABI. Yes it's act of God but so is adverse weather conditions which is covered. I suspect as potential claims mount up the ABI will shy away from any generous gestures. If it had just been one you might have been in with a chance!
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

It's either a Bird or it's Superman... Cos there is no way it's a plane!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait until it rains! Free Volvic!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Griffin doesn't look so stupid now with his volcano insurance!
The Conservatives vow to remove the ash.
The BNP says there is too much volcanic ash in the country and they must go back.
The Green Party says that the ash fails to meet environmental laws.
The French surrender to the ash.
The Americans eat the ash.
Labour gives the ash benefits and a council house.
The Lib Dems stay quiet - as usual.
I paid by credit card in an Iceland store today. They asked me if I wanted ashback.

8)
Last edited by Michael Crane on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emg
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by emg »

HI all. Boy this is a hard life having to spend a few more days in CVO - just wish the weather would improve!!! If things go to plan Mo and I will get home on Sunday - 3 days later than planned. I have to say a huge thank you to our friends out there (you know who you are) for all your help and information. It has made the whole process much easier.
Also thanks to some new pals who have helped to entertain us - you have really cheered us up throughout the disappointing weather.
We are just hoping that there are no more problems. To be honest we are expecting to be delayed at the airport but if we get to travel on Sunday that would be great - things to do and people to see, you know how it is!!!!
Well must get back to putting our feet up, sipping another beer and just generally doing absolutely nothing.
Regards
Ed & Mo xx :lol: :lol:
alibali
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by alibali »

After having flight from Glasgow (Prestwick) cancelled yesterday and today, we rebooked for Monday. I've just received text from Ryanair cancelling that flight. News is indicating restrictions are being lifted from Scottish airports so its a bit puzzling! I'll wait now for e.mail to confirm cancellation.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

There have only been a few long haul flights or low alititude flights in or out of Scotland and Northern ireland.
Manchester has had a few long haul flights land.
The forcast is for the winds to swing back toward the UK later in the weekend and if the eruption continues restrictions are likely to stay in force.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

On the RYAN AIR web Site, ALL FLIGHTS CANCELLED UNTIL MONDAY !!! earliest.

Another few hours spent trying to get a refund.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

My sister is also supposed to be flying back to Cardiff Monday. Luckily she has our apartment she can stay in as she has been doing for the past week but unfortunately the bank machines in CVO are not accepting her card (she came also with Travellers cheques) so running out of dosh fast! I have posted on here separate to this post about her predicament. Hope this all clears up as she is getting concerned... :( .
Gaynor
AVO
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by AVO »

Latest that I have heard is that all flights are cancelled for Sunday but an update will be given at 3pm. There may be UK domestic flights before Monday, but apparently they think that the cloud is going to get worse today!
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

I am due to fly from Gatwick to Faro next Sunday but have a horrible feeling I shall still be in sunny Reading (or in fact at work). My water sample from my borehole is supposed to be delivered to the ARH lab a week on Tuesday so will have to find a Plan B.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

Seems the Navy is cming to the rescue, ok if you're in Spain but what about those stranded in Portugal. You would have thought that now UK carriers would start looking at alternative plans to fly passengers to Spain then coaches home.
Gaynor
brian viggers
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by brian viggers »

Hi May have some seats to london on a coach leaving cvo on thursday will be in london on saturday morning. pm me for details