CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by david »

:wink:
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Steve, I would say you have to try Eschondiho if only for the experience. You will get fed, have a few drinks and it won't cost much more than eating at home. Bruce's point is that if you are going to spend big bucks on a meal, you should expect something special and in his opinion there are many restaurants that fit the bill.

I'd also recommend Casa Algarvia for the fish.
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

laserblazer wrote:Steve, I would say you have to try Eschondiho if only for the experience. You will get fed, have a few drinks and it won't cost much more than eating at home. Bruce's point is that if you are going to spend big bucks on a meal, you should expect something special and in his opinion there are many restaurants that fit the bill.

I'd also recommend Casa Algarvia for the fish.
Cheers LB, I did get what Bruce was saying and totally agree. We ate at Eschondiho a few times last year and will certainly be eating there again this year. Where is Casa Algarvia?
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Half way up Restaurant Hill on the left. Do a mean Sea Bass.
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

OK, cheers LB.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Had a lovely meal at Elliots last night. They were packed whilst the rest of the places on Mt. CVO were emptyish.
Bonzo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Bonzo »

Micheal Winner , i often think about just how much chef's bodily fluid that man has actually had in his food :shock:
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

Bonzo wrote:Micheal Winner , i often think about just how much chef's bodily fluid that man has actually had in his food :shock:
:?: :? :?:
PPic
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PPic »

laserblazer wrote:Had a lovely meal at Elliots last night. They were packed whilst the rest of the places on Mt. CVO were emptyish.
then we were both there the same night
we went twice in two weeks couldn't fault food or service
suziebear
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Restaurant Reviews

Post by suziebear »

There are many comments on here about different restaurants being good, or bad, as the case may be. My theory is that we all dont like the same thing, thankfully, or it would be really boring. What suits one person doesnt necessarily suit another - after being in the restaurant trade for the past xxx number of years, I feel I am qualified to say this. Some friends of ours like Algarvia, others dont like it. We have been going to Antonios for years, then we had a couple of not so good times there and havent been for a while, but thats not to say we wont go again, just wait until it dies down a bit. Sometimes when restaurants are really busy, they are under immense pressure and whilst I agree with consistency when owners are there or not, in real life, all staff go down a gear when big brother isnt watching, believe me. Like Bruce we love Escondidnho, but as it is up for sale, how much longer will we get the delight out of having the bill written on the table cloth? Its not always about the price of things, but the atmosphere, and the consistency of good simple food. We go to O Lotus in Lagoa quite often, because they really do Portuguese local food, and not the same as you get anywhere else - the waiter has been there for years, he is amazing and runs the restaurant floor on his own, yes you wait, but good food is worth the wait wouldnt you say? Getting of my box now, got to make tea.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Agree with you about Lotus Suzie. Had a few meals there and enjoyed!..as you say good Portuguese food :)

Its funny, when we lived in Lagoa we never went to this restaurant.(Lotus)..we went mainly to Casarao, either to eat there or get takeaways. Not been there for a while but always thought they did the best chicken piri piri(Casarao).
NatThomas
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by NatThomas »

We had a lovely meal Elliots. The staff were very friendly and the food was very good. :D
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Post by Stevie-C »

suziebear wrote: Like Bruce we love Escondidnho, but as it is up for sale, how much longer will we get the delight out of having the bill written on the table cloth?
I love this place and was disappointed when Joao told me it was being sold :cry: . He did however mention that he would probably open his own place. So all you ex-pat Escondidnho lovers keep us up to speed with developments.
a14dgl
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Elliotts restaurant

Post by a14dgl »

We visited Elliotts 3 times in 10 days and found the food to be fabulous and the service excellent every time. It wasn't very busy but they couldn't do enough to make us welcome. We tried different meals each visit and loved them all especially fish and chips. The sweets were "to die for" and would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant to anyone. The chef actually served us as well and was very interested in our opinion of the food which was a very nice touch. Wish it was in Yorkshire!