Moving to the algarve

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
*sarah*
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Moving to the algarve

Post by *sarah* »

Hi,

Myself and my partner have had plans for a while to move out to the algarve.

We wont be doing this immediately as i know there will be alot involved and we have a house to sell in the UK which may take some time considering the market at current. We will be out to the algarve in a few months for a while

But any advice would be a huge help, perhaps managment companies taht may be able to advise costs and processes or any personal experiences welcome, moving to a foreign country is like going in blind.

Thanks.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Where do you start, Sarah?

There is a wealth of experience on this forum and some very goodwilled and helpful people.

Ask and we will help. :lol:
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: Depends where in the Algarve you want to move to, if you go further west from Lagoa/Lagos the properties are still cheaper than around the cvo/albufeira area and any further east from there to Faro is very expensive unless you are well in land. East of Faro is also a cheaper area for housing.

Anywhere north od the N125 is better priced than anything near the coast. If you do want somewhere near cvo or the coast then you must expect to pay for the privilege. There are quite a few managers and people on this site who look after properties who should be able to give you an idea of costs etc.

Good luck in your search and your sale in the UK. If you do a search on this site for specific questions you should find some good answers.

:lol:
katie b
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Us and cat moving to Algarve

Post by katie b »

We have just accepted an offer on our house (at last) and if it all goes through ok (fingers crossed) we hope to be moving over to Portugal early next year also bringing our cat with us. Can anyone help us (Blue or Suziebear?) with the proceedure regarding rabies vaccinations etc, especially with a view to maybe having to return to the UK in the future?
Glad to hear you made it over ok with your dog, suziebear, how did Ted cope with the journey over, did you use the ferry?
Thanks all for your help, katie :?
suziebear
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by suziebear »

Ted coped really well with the journey according to hubby and daughter, and he has settled in really well although we did have a scare with him a few weeks ago when he did a runner, cos some delivery men left the gate open. (I posted it on the forum "has anyone seen our dog" and got some really nice responses.) Can't wait for tomorrow, really missing hubby, daughters and Ted! New Life starts tomorrow :lol: If you want any advice about anything, just ask!
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

Hi Katie,

I moved 2 of my cats from the UK to Portugal a few years ago.
The process was fairly easy. You need to get your cats chipped and vaccinated. Then you need to keep up the vaccines every year or you have to go through the whole process again.
Then they need a rabies shot and then a month after that they go back for a blood test. If it comes back negative it's good news and then you have to wait 6 months before your cat can travel.

Once you've done all of this, your cat is then issued with a pet passport and providing the jabs are kept up to date they can go back and forth from Portugal to the UK without a hitch.

Your vet should also be able to give you any extra information needed.

Hope this helps!

Thunderbolt
katie b
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

cat relocation!

Post by katie b »

Thanks suziebear and Thunderbolt for your help, I'd better get a move on with rabies jab and blood test if 6 months need to lapse before we can bring our cat over as we intend coming in Feb/March. Thunderbolt, did you fly your cats over or drive down? I know it's a long drive but our cat is 16 and quite nervy so we are seriously considering the tunnel and a couple of days driving. Or is it better to fly her and get it over and done with?! I dont know, it's a very difficult decision to make. I'd be grateful for any comments, thanks again. katie :)
barbara1251
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by barbara1251 »

I have once moved with my cat too, and we also took the plane to the new location of our house and it wasn't a big problem for our cat too. She needed a day to recover from the stress but that was it. Driving in the car is stress for those animals too and so with the plane it is over sooner.
piglet
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by piglet »

Hi Sarah,

I dont know if this link will be of help but this forum covers the whole of Portugal fro Tavira in the east to Lagos in the West and up the westen coast.
http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?nam ... forum&f=24

If you are interested in diffent areas post the question and someone will usually respond.

All the best
Pgilet