Elliots....good or bad?

Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Elliots....good or bad?

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I have hugely varying reports on this place.

A few that it is excellent, others putting it down there with Boteca.

I know that Tricky wasn't at all impressed last week. What do others think?
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I thought it very good. I think the poor ratings are when the owners are not around and the staff are less friendly. The food is still good.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Was there last week. Food and service good. OK, its not ready to hit the "one of my all time greats", but well worth adding to your list of places to go.

I recollect that bad reports tended to come at the end of the season. We experienced a drop off last year. Hope it doesn't return.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I agree LB, the owners were not there the night we went but the staff were very friendly. However, people on the table behind sent several of their meals back because they were cold. Our fish was mediocre and the brown cabbagey thing we had distictly odd and sloppy.

I would really like this restaurant to succeed and will give it another go
(when I find which night the owners are there) Poor excuse that however, a restaurant should be consistantly good and shouldn't leave staff in charge if they are not up to the job. It will damage the hoped for good reputation.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

By the count that they have spent a fortune on advertising the place, then the meals reflect the costs already shelled out. In per say to this they should have managed to provide a wonderful place, superb service, good ambience and sublime food. On reflection, this does not seem to be the case. In my mind the place is devoid of any ambience, the staff are amblivient, the cost too high and the product inferior.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Maybe they will read this thread, and take the hint.

I may go in next week and find out if the owners are there......then give it a whirl....watch this space.

So far Im going to Gale', Medina, Elliots and a place I can never remember the name of in Porches, oh and of course, Eschondiho
Cook Family
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Cook Family »

We tried Elliotts for the first time when visiting at the end of May.

We often eat at Monte Carvoeiro as it's easy walking distance from QDP and saves the endless moans from the kids as we drag them back up the hill after an evening in town! Having tried and enjoyed O'Salmao, the Indian restaurant and the stone steak places, we thought we'd give Elliotts a go.

I must say the staff were pretty good: the young waiter and waitress brought out soft toys for younger diners to play with and the service was fine. However the food was average, though plentiful, with the vegetable accompaniment proving particularly unpopular.

We agreed at the time that we wouldn't try it again, although it did seem to be very popular each night.

Somewhere we did revisit, several times, was the Cocktail Garden at Monte Carvoeiro. The staff were very friendly, there were games and tricks available to play, and the cocktails were great as well!
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

The Coctail Gardens has always been one of our favourites and always great coctails and games to keep one occupied. Richard sometimes watches the footie up there and I indulge in a coctail and try and unwind the metal games he keeps giving me to do. Must be thick cos I can never do them and get most irate, excuse really for another coctail and dish of peppered popcorn :lol:
kathy
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by kathy »

Yes we always pop in here, usually before and after eating, somehow we manage to do the puzzles later in the evening after a few bottles of wine and cocktails ..... :shock:
Luis and his girlfriend are very nice and always make you feel very welcome.
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Maybe they will read this thread, and take the hint.

I may go in next week and find out if the owners are there......then give it a whirl....watch this space.

So far Im going to Gale', Medina, Elliots and a place I can never remember the name of in Porches, oh and of course, Eschondiho

Brucie boy I am going out at the end of July and would appreciate your opinion on Elliots and Eschondiho from which I am staying about 2 minutes walk away. I enjoyed both last year and aim to return. Although I do not want to think about when I return from CVO just yet :cry: I will also review the restaurants I visit. There will be six of us with an age range from 13 to 70 (no I am not 70) so as well as the standard of food and service the cost will have some bearing on where we eat.

Cheers

Steve
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

Any July reviews for Elliott's?
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

You can read my restaurant reviews posted in this section.

As for Elliots, the reports I have had, left me thinking, "Why should we waste a night of our precious time in Cavoeiro,at a restaurant which at best sounds no more than average....and more expensive?"
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

Bruce Wallis wrote:You can read my restaurant reviews posted in this section.

As for Elliots, the reports I have had, left me thinking, "Why should we waste a night of our precious time in Cavoeiro,at a restaurant which at best sounds no more than average....and more expensive?"
OK, fair comment, cheers
david
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by david »

Methinks thinks Mr Wallis is a difficult person to please on the eating front!!
Are you budding Mr Michael Winner?
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

david wrote:Methinks thinks Mr Wallis is a difficult person to please on the eating front!!
Are you budding Mr Michael Winner?
No George, I am not, and resent your rude implication.

I go into a restaurant....to enjoy. If I comment I do so quietly, and am quick to commend. Witness A Gale, Colina Village , Chrissies and even humble but excellent Eschondino

Am I hard to please? Sometimes yes. But I understand food and cooking.

I enjoy good restaurants, I dislike poor, shoddy and lazy ones.