Post by EMM »

Sure it was'nt Pato opening his wallet :lol:
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Majority of UK flights cancelled.

Post by Ellie »

:lol: :lol:

My sons been to Iceland..he spent couple weeks there visiting a friend and said some of the landscape there is positively 'Lunar'. In fact he tells me that some of the astronauts that went to the moon practised there....
Son saw areas that were just black sand and he said there were identical round white stones scattered about.....hes never seen anything quite like it :shock:

Hope folk get their flights soon....such a disappointment to arrive all excited for a holiday, only to find it cancelled.
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

My mum is stranded in the UK. She was meant to get here tomorrow and dad was taking her out for a special surprise birthday dinner which he has now had to cancel :(
I've no idea where to send her flowers to!!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Here is the IRONY, Iceland is not affected by all this, their airport is operating normally.
ditzy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ditzy »

EMM wrote:Here is the IRONY, Iceland is not affected by all this, their airport is operating normally.
No, but local residents are suffering from the direct effects of the eruption!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

EMM wrote:Here is the IRONY, Iceland is not affected by all this, their airport is operating normally.
That's because the volcanic dust only affects Jet engines, prop driven bi-planes are typically unaffected. :wink:
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

Just heard a scary report from a volcanic expert who says that this could only be the start of a period of activity from this volcanic area in Iceland. Apparently there are 2 volcanos in the area and the last time they erupted the smaller one lasted 1 year and the bigger one 2 years. The ash is high enough not to pose a health problem at the moment but if it drops then it could be pretty dangerous to breathe it in. UK air space is closed until 7 am tomorrow but this could be extended if the situation does not improve.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

e-richard wrote:That's because the volcanic dust only affects Jet engines, prop driven bi-planes are typically unaffected. :wink:
It is sucked into the turbines where it is melted and then it solidifys and stops the engine! I've just heard one numpty on the news ask why planes can't take off when the cloud is so high in the air. :roll:
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

cereza wrote:Just heard a scary report from a volcanic expert who says that this could only be the start of a period of activity from this volcanic area in Iceland. ...
Bugger. I've just booked flights out in October (21-25). :(
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

Apparently the Icelandic Government have recently received a handwritten note from Gordon Brown asking them to 'send cash' :D
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Tomorrows morning flights from the UK are already being cancelled. B******R
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I'm not looking for sympathy :roll: (okay I am)
but its been a long day in the life of a airport valet service.
Its now 23.04 and i am still getting calls from distressed people who are either not able to fly or are stranded on holiday.
There have been a few stories, the lady who is stuck in greece on a far flung island who's husband has run out of his medication,
a bride and groom who were getting married this weekend in Barbados.
On the plus side, a young couple returning from Goa, with a re-fueling stop in Dubai, who wanted originally to have a nights stop over but couldn't afford it, now have hotels vouchers to stay in dubai for two days. they are happy!
I hope everyone gets a good night sleep.. but for all our customers.... we know you are not travelling..... and we know you are not coming back, so please don't take the trouble to phone.. :D
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

Good to see that the airlines are not capitalising on this. I was meant to be spending 3 weeks with the family in CVO but for work reasons had to fly back to the UK for a couple of days. Because I was not sure of my exact schedule I foolishly did not book the return flight but with flights on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for less than £100 I was not worried. Checked this morning and the cheapest BA fight was £763 (one way). Guess I will just have to stay in the sunny UK whilst my family suffers the thunderstorms in CVO :shock:
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

No flights until at least 7.00pm tonight, looks like tomorrow could be fun as well.
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Restrictions preventing flights in English airspace will remain in place until 0100 BST on Saturday, says the air traffic control body Nats.
:( :(