Extra Walk Monday 27th May 2019 Monchique

The ad hoc walking group
Lowthian
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Extra Walk Monday 27th May 2019 Monchique

Post by Lowthian »

Colin and Sharon will lead this walk, which will be the last of our extra walks for this season. Geoff & Sue will return in October. Also see Willie's post viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28248#p270569

Difficulty level 2 (scale of 1to5)
(Moderate)

A walk out to the northeast of Monchique passing cork trees and through the countryside via lanes and tracks, includes crossing a stream via a narrow wooden foot bridge.

Duration approximately 2 hours. 7Km

Directions :
Drive to Monchique, ignoring turn-offs to Calas de Monchique. Drive into the town, going straight on at the roundabout and turn right at the end, past the fire station on your left. There is a big carpark soon after on the right. There is also a cafe there called Descansa Pernas....meet there.
GPS_ 37.3201180, -8.5524933
N37°19'12.425" W8°33'8.975"
Start time 10.00am

Lunch: 6 km away at the highly rated Cafe Imperio, Caldas de Monchique. Gps 37.2878022, -8.5541687 N37°17'16.088 W8°33'15.007"
is optional, but will be approx 14€ to include a tip and a donation to Support for Families in the Algarve.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27800

Wear stout trainers/walking boots....a walking pole would be useful. Drinking water and Sunhats hopefully recommended, but some wet weather gear might come in handy.

Please note that the walk will be cancelled of the weather is poor. I shall put a note on this website at about 08:30 that morning, 09:00 at the latest.

All walks at your own risk.
There is no charge for the walk.
Please indicate below if you are intending to come, and if you want lunch, as numbers will be limited to 20.

Any questions, please pm me
on this forum.
MikeAlmond
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Extra Walk Monday 27th May 2019 Monchique

Post by MikeAlmond »

Count me in please for the walk and lunch.

Mike
walker555
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by walker555 »

Hello Colin & Sharon.

Please add myself and Marian for walk & lunch.

Graeme & Marian.
Saryan
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Saryan »

Hi Colin and Sharon my husband John and I will join you for this walk and lunch on 27th May. Many thanks Susan
Lowthian
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Lowthian »

And Wendy, Karen & Caroline for walk & lunch.
KBB
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by KBB »

Hi Sharon and Colin
Count Caroline and me in for the lunch and walk!
Looking forward to it.
Karen
Lowthian
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Lowthian »

The morning was sunny and very warm.
Ten of us met at café Descansa Pernas (rest your legs café), for morning coffee, before setting off at around 10:15.

After walking down the cobbled track I spotted some goats sitting in the shade of a tree, which Karen didn't see, so here's the photo Karen...

Eventually we reached the wooden foot bridge, which the group confidently crossed with ease...

Well almost everyone...

After the bridge we decided to turn left, avoiding the nettles to the right which we had discovered on the recce a week earlier.
Karen kindly led the way up to the road...

we passed through the archway, and climbed higher, as did the temperature..

eventually crossing back over a more substantial bridge, a stopping for a group photo
Image L to R Graham, Marian, John, Caroline, Sharon, Wendy, Susan, Karen, and Mike.

We returned to the cafe for much needed refreshments, just in time to see a helicopter taking off..

and then went to Café Imperio for a well earned banquet of tomato salad, presunto and cheese, followed by the famous chicken piri piri...

We all said our goodbyes outside, having completed the walk in 1 hour 50 mins, at a temperature of around 30°c.
Thanks to all for taking part, and a special thank you to Wendy for helping with the recce and the leadership.
Hope to see you all later this year,
Colin & Sharon.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Many thanks Colin & Sharon for keeping the walks going....we'll meet again, abw, in October.