Walk 151 : Thursday 23 March 2017, Montes de Cima

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Walk 151 : Thursday 23 March 2017, Montes de Cima

Post by Geoff »

By special request, an extra walk.....

This is a new(ish) variant on a new walk... an added hill with beautiful views.....whilst I thought the original walk was a Grade 2 Difficulty and Bruce thought it was a 3, this is definitely a grade 3.

When we did the walk last, in May, parts ( about 200m) were a bit overgrown , so perhaps shorts are not advised!

Probably about 2 hours 30mins, mainly flat(tish) but with a steep climb at the start and a couple of moderate slopes later.

Degree of Difficulty ( scale 1:5) : 3 Energetic

Start : 10.00am

Directions: From Lagoa, turn left on the N125 and go past the turn-off for Alvor. After a few hundred yards, there is a BP station on your right and a road signposted " Senhora do Verde, Vidigal, Casais, Alcalar, Torre" : turn right here. IF you go past the Hotal Penina on your left, you have gone too far
Go up this road ( M532). After going through a single lane tunnel and after about another 1/4 mile, make sure you follow the road bending left signed Alcalar ; do NOT go straight on.
You should then soon be crossing the motorway. Carry on, passing A Taberna Nicola cafe on your right, and Cafe Andre a bit later on your left. Carry on past O Tasco, on the left. Just past O Tasco, bear left and follow the Monchique sign. About 5 minutes after O Tasco, you will see a building on the right that used to be a cafe : this is what it looks like:
https://www.google.pt/maps/@37.2351416 ... 6656?hl=en

Turn left here ( signposted Montes de Cima, Marmalete, Casais ) and drive on for about 3kms till you get to Montes de Cima. Follow the road round to the right to the cafe Taberna da Manel ; park opposite, or a bit further up the road.Please do not park just outside the cafe.

GPS : 37.241448, -8.611435

Alternatively : wait just past the turn off on the N125 at 0920, just before the winery, and follow us!

Usual caveats: all walks are at your own risk, and we do not walk if it is pouring with rain.....I will endeavour to put any cancellation note on this site by 0830 on the day of the walk.

Walking boots/stout trainers , walking pole(s), hats and water recommended. No charge, of course.

The cafe has a good range of sandwiches/tostas etc and sells honey in jars of all shapes and sizes.

Please advise if:
(a) you are intending to come
(b) whether you will want to meet us at the N125 turn-off

As these walks were quite popular , we may have to limit numbers to about 20 , so it is important to say if you intend to come.

Any questions , please ask below or PM me or ring 282 380015 preferably between 0800-0900 or 1800-1900 .

Lunch :
with Amadeus Gardens closed and O Tosca not being what it was ( in my opinion), we MIGHT try Fontes de Pedra , but it was closed in Feb with a sign saying ( I think ) opening in March...we will try & check it out!!
Bobjb
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Re: Walk 151 : Montes de Cima

Post by Bobjb »

Hi Geoff
We hope to join you and will meet you at the parking place. Please also put us down for lunch
Bob & Maggie
MacAlpine
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by MacAlpine »

Yes please for Rod and Gail
Stefan
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Stefan »

I must be dense but I cannot find the date for this walk?

I have been looking for opportunities to join on these walks ever since we bought a house in Carvoeiro in 2015. Next time we will be visiting is 13-23 April, any walks in this period?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk 151 : thursday 23 march 2017, Montes de Cima

Post by Geoff »

I must be dense but I cannot find the date for this walk?
Woops,my senior moment...it's tomorrow, can you make it?...I have now corrected the title.

Afraid we go back 1 April.......here for a couple of weeks in June, but main walks are November and Jan-March. Others might lead some though.

Hope to met some time!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk 151 : Thursday 23 March 2017, Montes de Cima

Post by Geoff »

Just to say that whilst the weather looks iffy, the forecast is Ok from 1000-1200 so, fingers crossed, walk is on!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Walk 151 : Thursday 23 March 2017, Montes de Cima

Post by Geoff »

We were only 6, but Bob and Don did their best to clear the Honey Cafe out of their stocks of honey, so we ended up leaving 10 mins late...but no matter, it was good walking weather : a cool breeze, some sunshine and barely 30 seconds of drizzle.
We had an early damp patch to navigate:
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
but otherwise an enjoyable walk ( done clockwise for a change). About 2 h 40 m, as we had a liesurely look around en route.

We tried O Caseiro at Arao for lunch...it took a bit of finding and we had to wait for a table...but for once " 5 minutes" meant just that. An excellent prata de dia ( chicken & mushrooms or Portuguese Stew) with bread/olives/ pudding/wine/water/coffee was 9.5€ pp....thanks to Mary P for showing it to us. We'll go again.
Attachments
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg (61.24 KiB) Viewed 5789 times